The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, ELITE said:

Waiting to pick up my brand new Pettersson jersey. Still don’t know why Dahlen isn’t in the lineup with EP40. Must be some kind of speed issue or problems with the management :mellow:

One of them is NHL ready, the other is not. Dahlen will likely take over Loui's role on that line when he's ready for the show, because he plays a tenacious puck retrieval style. But, he showed in training camp that he's not there yet. Our six million dollar man will make a fine stand-in for a year or two until Dahlen is ready to make that jump.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BananaMash said:

One of them is NHL ready, the other is not. Dahlen will likely take over Loui's role on that line when he's ready for the show, because he plays a tenacious puck retrieval style. But, he showed in training camp that he's not there yet. Our six million dollar man will make a fine stand-in for a year or two until Dahlen is ready to make that jump.

Think that Eriksson is going to be bought out before his contract runs out? Dahlèn I also see eventually taking his spot on EP40’s line. 

I'm just curious.

Does anyone still give a crap that Benning did not trade down with that 5th overall pick?

He was pretty aware that the Rags were eyeballing his guy - and he was pretty aware that Vegas had earmarked/wanted Glass.  Was willing to move one spot only.

In the end, the extra (longshot) asset is nowhere near as vital as the fact that Pettersson is  now a Canuck - and the rest is history.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Wouldn’t a contender maybe take him on for depth for the postseason, maybe? Guess maybe the challenging thing would be his cap hit. 

Maybe. Likely with 50% retention to get his hit down.

Otherwise his contract is perfectly structured for a cap basement team (large cap hit, almost no actual salary).

Edited by aGENT

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm just curious.

Does anyone still give a crap that Benning did not trade down with that 5th overall pick?

He was pretty aware that the Rags were eyeballing his guy - and he was pretty aware that Vegas had earmarked/wanted Glass.  Was willing to move one spot only.

In the end, the extra (longshot) asset is nowhere near as vital as the fact that Pettersson is  now a Canuck - and the rest is history.

Well ultimately it wasn't Bennings decision. He tried. Nobody bit.

1 minute ago, AV's Coin said:

Well ultimately it wasn't Bennings decision. He tried. Nobody bit.

Wrong.  

Buffalo clearly bit. 

Jason Botterill was evidently working to move up to the 5 spot and Benning very clearly stated that he was unwilling to move to 8 - that he knew the Rags would take Pettersson at 7 if they had the opportunity.

Benning correctly assessed that Vegas wanted Glass - and that was the sole opportunity he was willing to entertain, but as is inevitable, Vegas sniffed out that the willingness to move to 6 meant a willingness to pass on Glass.  Benning was nevertheless a step ahead on both counts - he knew who Vegas wanted, he knew the other threats around Petterssson, and he was willing to take only the safest of risks - of moving down one spot.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Wrong.  

Buffalo clearly bit. 

Jason Botterill was evidently working to move up to the 5 spot and Benning very clearly stated that he was unwilling to move to 8 - that he knew the Rags would take Pettersson at 7 if they had the opportunity.

Benning correctly assessed that Vegas wanted Glass - and that was the sole opportunity he was willing to entertain, but as is inevitable, Vegas sniffed out that the willingness to move to 6 meant a willingness to pass on Glass.  Benning was nevertheless a step ahead on both counts - he knew who Vegas wanted, he knew the other threats around Petterssson, and he was willing to take only the safest of risks - of moving down one spot.

Imagine if that trade where someone tried to move ahead of Benning actually happened and they took Pettersson. That would have hurt. I seriously wonder who it was though trying to do that.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Wrong.  

Buffalo clearly bit. 

I forgot about that. I was just thinking about Vegas

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Think that Eriksson is going to be bought out before his contract runs out? Dahlèn I also see eventually taking his spot on EP40’s line. 

I wouldn't be surprised, but I also agree with @aGENT that he could end up being an attractive option for a cap basement team if we retain some of the cap hit.

For the time being though, I'm happy for once with his place in the lineup. His value could be a little better on the market if he keeps playing well on the Pettersson line.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I wouldn't be surprised, but I also agree with @aGENT that he could end up being an attractive option for a cap basement team if we retain some of the cap hit.

For the time being though, I'm happy for once with his place in the lineup. His value could be a little better on the market if he keeps playing well on the Pettersson line.

I could see Pettersson inflating Eriksson’s value a little bit. He’s playing better to start the season than he has the last two years. What does that say about EP40? 

32 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

A basement team might actually prefer no retention those last couple years if they're looking for maximum cap 'massaging'. 

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

I don't know. I think that's really going to depend on the options the cap basement teams have at the time. Players who are not even playing like Zetterberg and Franzen could also be available. Most recently, it'll be interesting to see if Shattenkirk, who looks almost like Redden at the moment, ends up being an option as well.

There are limited teams who are acquiring these players, so it almost feels like there would be this weird competition of who can sell their bad contracts first....

Edited by The Lock

Let's not use this thread to attack other users with the benefit of hindsight. 

1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow visitors.

Do not:

• Personally attack other users. Attacking an idea is acceptable, attacking a user is not.

• Start flame wars, troll or otherwise post with intent to provoke other posters

• Retaliate to personal attacks or trolling (use the report link)

• Harass, stalk, or shadow other users with intent to provoke.

• Use abbreviations such as 'STFU' and 'GTFO'

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2