The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Let me rephrase this as a question: based on the past three years, would you say Benning has been good with the contracts he’s handed out?

perhaps Gillis wasn’t brilliant at contracts but I can’t see a case being made that Benning excels in this area, do you?

1) Benning has had to hand out different contracts than Gillis.

2) Benning has cap space. Gillis did not.

3) Gillis handed out NTC's like a pez dispenser. Benning has held back from that comparatively.

4) We are still hurting from Luongo's contract. That contract alone makes contracts like Eriksson's look good.

So no.... I think Gillis' contract skills were more in favour of the players than the team itself, which makes sense as he was an agent. I actually think Gillis'  contracts partially led to his firing.

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

My guess is Jim will go with Mittlestadt instead. Didn't seem like Jim was very high on Glass or Vilardi. In the 2017 pre-draft interview, when reporters asked him questions about different potential prospects available, and when questions were as about Pettersson, Jim just started talk about how much he likes Vilardi's game. In the 2016 pre-draft interview, Jim talk about he like Sergachev more than Juolevi. He always down play the guy he wants to draft. In the 2017 pre-draft interview, he talk about how much he likes Glass and Vilardi, which suggest to me he doesn't feel like taking them at 5. He also didn't talk much about Mittlestadt. So my guess is that if worst comes to worst, Pettersson isn't available at 5, they will go with Mittlestadt. 

Glad it worked out and we got Pettersson. We may never win a draft lottery conducted by the NHL, but we won the real draft lottery in 2017.

I was thinking Necas but I doubt we'll ever know for sure. 

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I would agree. In hindsight, I was wrong about Pettersson (concerned about his size), surprised by the JV pick and Juolevi wasn’t my first choice at that spot; the jury is still out on the latter two being chosen where they were drafted. Overall, I think Benning excels at drafting and stinks with contracts (too much $ and too long term). Then again, Gillis traded Schneider AND Luongo and gave Lou that insane contract that still might bite us in the butt.

It would be interesting to see what you would do if you are ever faced with being on the wrong end of a bidding war. The contracts Benning has handed out were not given in a vacuum. His FA signings would almost certainly be wearing other teams' uniforms had he offered less money or term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Has Benning handed out some questionable contracts?

Probably.

But none have come to hurt the team. Make FAQ grimace maybe? He responded by not paying Trevor Linden. (LOL) We were hurt worse on David Booth, Keith Ballard. And those contracts also anchored, caused the ship to grind to a halt because it reduced the teams ability to make other moves that were needed.

We're saving up to re-sign EP!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

1) Benning has had to hand out different contracts than Gillis.

2) Benning has cap space. Gillis did not.

3) Gillis handed out NTC's like a pez dispenser. Benning has held back from that comparatively.

4) We are still hurting from Luongo's contract. That contract alone makes contracts like Eriksson's look good.

So no.... I think Gillis' contract skills were more in favour of the players than the team itself, which makes sense as he was an agent. I actually think Gillis'  contracts partially led to his firing.

Fair points.

5 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Juolevi wasn’t my first choice at that spot; the jury is still out on the latter two being chosen where they were drafted. 

I like Juolevi but imagining Tkachuk-Horvat-Boeser or Tkachuk and EP on a line makes me want to cry.

Edited by smokes
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

OK, if I am, please repeat your point so I can consider it.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Can't really say that until/if Benning has something resembling a contending team to attract UFA's to. Apples to oranges.

Not a lot of mystery there.

8 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Ryan Kennedy had JV rated 12th. CB did not have JV in the 1st round, but, if we're cherry picking, he had dal Colle at 5 ( Capt Hindsight says.....w t f  ! ) Nylander at 9 ( wow.....idiot ! ) and even has the biggest bust of that draft Conner Bleakley at 30. Got to love cherry picked 'facts' ! ( /s )

It's not really cherry picking when you're picking out people drafted by a certain team. No one had JV at 5 though... And sorry, once again, didn't really have facts on hand, took a quick glance and saw Ryan Kennedy... My point was, JV wasn't worth a 5th, but if he has a long career who cares? We got an NHLer and there were quite a few guys who aren't panning out behind him.

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It's not really cherry picking when you're picking out people drafted by a certain team. No one had JV at 5 though... And sorry, once again, didn't really have facts on hand, took a quick glance and saw Ryan Kennedy... My point was, JV wasn't worth a 5th, but if he has a long career who cares? We got an NHLer and there were quite a few guys who aren't panning out behind him.

Jake was picked at 6 FWIW. Big on facts? :P

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I tend to reserve judgement every draft. While everyone else seems to get all uptight or excited about certain players, I get more excited about learning who we are going to get no matter who it is. I don't even care if they fully live up to expectations or not. I think I just like the journey oddly enough. lol

I was upset that we didn't take Glass, but I spent an hour researching Pettersson afterwards and was happy by the end of it. The draft is such a $&!#show. You just can't make immediate judgments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I was upset that we didn't take Glass, but I spent an hour researching Pettersson afterwards and was happy by the end of it. The draft is such a $&!#show. You just can't make immediate judgments.

Probably why I view it the way I do really. Attachments to certain prospects are fine and all, but it becomes a little more dangerous if it leads to expectations. It becomes even more dangerous if everyone has different expectations from having different attachments, The lovely flame wars of CDC!

Edited by The Lock