The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

Just like Roussel at training camp ! Minor incident, in a casual summer skate.

Well, yes. Brain trauma is difficult to gauge and can hit different people in different ways...

But despite being an illegal move, that was a pretty regular hockey play... I've hit the ice harder than that before.

If Baertschi hit the ice like that we'd be nowhere near as frenzied. It's only because it's our golden boy that we're all stressing.

He'll be fine.

Remember the optics of Boeser sliding back to the bench because he couldn't stand? He played the next game. 

EP40 needs to be protected, but he's not an acrylic fawn. 

15 minutes ago, nergish said:

Well, yes. Brain trauma is difficult to gauge and can hit different people in different ways...

But despite being an illegal move, that was a pretty regular hockey play... I've hit the ice harder than that before.

If Baertschi hit the ice like that we'd be nowhere near as frenzied. It's only because it's our golden boy that we're all stressing.

He'll be fine.

Remember the optics of Boeser sliding back to the bench because he couldn't stand? He played the next game. 

EP40 needs to be protected, but he's not an acrylic fawn. 

I don't see choke slams very often in the NHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John McClane said:

Did anyone catch which coach at the panthers bench was patting Math an the back after the hit? All I could see was the hand. And who ever it was must have given him verbal congratulations and good job, because you could see Math smile and nod.

Bob Boughner 

I'm really pissed that no one went after Matheson. If there was a time to send a message to the league that Pettersson is to be respected it was last night.

Sure we got the win (wippy) but in my eyes we lose in the end if this kid is lost for any amount of time & isn't fully protected all the time. IF Pettersson isn't worth this than who is??? :unsure:  Atleast McDavid had Maroon & Lucic by his side for his start to his NHL career. 

If a little puke like Matheson can do this with no retribution than what's the Clutterbucks of the world going to do next?

:mad::angry:

https://canucksarmy.com

One thing it wasn’t? Preventable. At least, not by any of the players on the ice, other than Matheson.

If the league wants to protect it’s star players and prevent plays like this from happening in the future, they may decide to dole out supplemental discipline. Retribution and deterrence are the job of the Player Safety department, not the players themselves. Travis Green was correct in his assessment after the game:

“You gotta keep composure. It’s a 3-2 hockey game, there’s 12 minutes left. You’re talking about a guy that has 1 fight in his career. I don’t think he’s known as a dirty player. You’re in a hockey game, you don’t start chasing people around the rink. It’s not the way it is.”

Still, that may be a bitter pill for fans of this team to swallow given how much emphasis this team has placed on things like grit and toughness, often at the expense of other more important elements of the game.

The rationale behind so many of the decisions made over the past year, from the free agency signings to the Gudbranson extension, was that Elias Pettersson needed to be surrounded by players who could insulate him, protect him, and teach him how to be an NHLer. So far, over his brief career, he’s already proven he has much more to teach most of this roster about being a pro than they have to teach him. For all the talk of needing insulation, he’s been the team’s most consistent player, most dedicated backchecker, and among their best forwards defensively. The only thing he hasn’t been is immune to the type of unfortunate (or malicious, depending on who you ask) play we saw last night; and astonishingly, icing a couple of players who are ostensibly willing to get their hands dirty did nothing to prevent.

Some people are going to take away the wrong lesson from what happened. They’ll say the team is too soft, that it needs to get tougher. The truth is, the team has spent far too much time and money chasing players who could dish out hits and throw hands, all in service of finishing with the league’s worst record over the past three seasons. What the lesson should be is that any attempt to protect your star players from injury outside of increased investment in the sports science department is futile.

The argument in favour of icing an enforcer is an inherently reactionary one. Your designated knuckle-chucker fights an opposing player after a questionable hit so he’ll think twice before doing so next time; but the hit has already occurred, there’s no preventing it. Sometimes your best players are going to get hurt. Sometimes they’ll even get hurt because of a dirty play. There’s no avoiding that reality. What you can do is invest in players who are capable of stepping into an offensive role in the absence of that player. The Canucks have made no such investments.

Instead, they’ve invested in players who were supposed to keep this from happening, or at the very least answer the bell when it did. Those players failed to deliver. That would be fine if the organization had decided it was above those type of extracurricular activities, but their actions have indicated for years now that that isn’t the case.

So that leaves just one question: If the so-called “tough” players on this roster aren’t being paid to prevent this from happening, and aren’t being paid to respond when it does, what are they being paid to do?

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I don't see choke slams very often in the NHL.

No, you’re right.

It was an illegal play and a clear attempt to take the rookie phenom out of the game.

I’m saying, this is game 5 for EP. If this is the worst hit he ever receives, he should consider himself blessed. The play was dirty, and there was serious impact with the ice, but the fall likely isn’t as bad as we’re making it out to be. He’ll be dressed for the next game.

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

No, you’re right.

It was an illegal play and a clear attempt to take the rookie phenom out of the game.

I’m saying, this is game 5 for EP. If this is the worst hit he ever receives, he should consider himself blessed. The play was dirty, and there was serious impact with the ice, but the fall likely isn’t as bad as we’re making it out to be. He’ll be dressed for the next game.

I hope so. Though if he is not 120% healthy, he should rest.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Bob Boughner 

I'm really pissed that no one went after Matheson. If there was a time to send a message to the league that Pettersson is to be respected it was last night.

Sure we got the win (wippy) but in my eyes we lose in the end if this kid is lost for any amount of time & isn't fully protected all the time. IF Pettersson isn't worth this than who is??? :unsure:  Atleast McDavid had Maroon & Lucic by his side for his start to his NHL career. 

If a little puke like Matheson can do this with no retribution than what's the Clutterbucks of the world going to do next?

:mad::angry:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/14/matheson-pettersson-hit-reveals-the-futility-of-overpaying-for-grit/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

One thing it wasn’t? Preventable. At least, not by any of the players on the ice, other than Matheson.

If the league wants to protect it’s star players and prevent plays like this from happening in the future, they may decide to dole out supplemental discipline. Retribution and deterrence are the job of the Player Safety department, not the players themselves. Travis Green was correct in his assessment after the game:

“You gotta keep composure. It’s a 3-2 hockey game, there’s 12 minutes left. You’re talking about a guy that has 1 fight in his career. I don’t think he’s known as a dirty player. You’re in a hockey game, you don’t start chasing people around the rink. It’s not the way it is.”

Still, that may be a bitter pill for fans of this team to swallow given how much emphasis this team has placed on things like grit and toughness, often at the expense of other more important elements of the game.

The rationale behind so many of the decisions made over the past year, from the free agency signings to the Gudbranson extension, was that Elias Pettersson needed to be surrounded by players who could insulate him, protect him, and teach him how to be an NHLer. So far, over his brief career, he’s already proven he has much more to teach most of this roster about being a pro than they have to teach him. For all the talk of needing insulation, he’s been the team’s most consistent player, most dedicated backchecker, and among their best forwards defensively. The only thing he hasn’t been is immune to the type of unfortunate (or malicious, depending on who you ask) play we saw last night; and astonishingly, icing a couple of players who are ostensibly willing to get their hands dirty did nothing to prevent.

Some people are going to take away the wrong lesson from what happened. They’ll say the team is too soft, that it needs to get tougher. The truth is, the team has spent far too much time and money chasing players who could dish out hits and throw hands, all in service of finishing with the league’s worst record over the past three seasons. What the lesson should be is that any attempt to protect your star players from injury outside of increased investment in the sports science department is futile.

The argument in favour of icing an enforcer is an inherently reactionary one. Your designated knuckle-chucker fights an opposing player after a questionable hit so he’ll think twice before doing so next time; but the hit has already occurred, there’s no preventing it. Sometimes your best players are going to get hurt. Sometimes they’ll even get hurt because of a dirty play. There’s no avoiding that reality. What you can do is invest in players who are capable of stepping into an offensive role in the absence of that player. The Canucks have made no such investments.

Instead, they’ve invested in players who were supposed to keep this from happening, or at the very least answer the bell when it did. Those players failed to deliver. That would be fine if the organization had decided it was above those type of extracurricular activities, but their actions have indicated for years now that that isn’t the case.

So that leaves just one question: If the so-called “tough” players on this roster aren’t being paid to prevent this from happening, and aren’t being paid to respond when it does, what are they being paid to do?

There's a lot of truth here.  But the Canucks Army has a fundamental misunderstanding of what it takes to rebuild a hockey team.  You can't just snap your fingers and have good offensive players in your line up.  It just doesn't happen like that.  Particularly when you have few assets to trade.  Having said that, this is about Pettersson.  It is not the place to take shots at Benning who is frankly doing a good job given the circumstances.

This matter is going to be left up to the league.  This is the way it should be.  Players on the ice shouldn't feel as though they need to exact revenge on dirty plays.  Player Safety should take care of that.  Unfortunately, they fail much of the time.  With the Wilson 20 game suspension, I think that very slowly, discipline is getting better.  When players decide to send a message it often back fires as we saw when Hamonic was injured by Gudbranson.  And sometimes it goes horribly wrong as we saw in the Moore-Bertuzzi incident.  So what I have said should happen in an ideal world.  It is not an ideal world but a message needs to be sent about this even if it is only a fine. 

I can't imagine what the ref was thinking when this incident happened and why at least a roughing penalty wasn't called.  I think this gets into the practice of game management that goes on and he did not want to call a penalty on the home team who was down a goal mid way through the 3rd period because doing so might influence the outcome of the game.  The Canucks missing their best player notwithstanding.  I only hope that the lack of a penalty being called on the play doesn't influence the decision of Player Safety.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I hate to be the one to say it, but this isn't going to even be close to the worst malicious play EP will encounter in his career. He needs to get stronger on his skates. Matheson is a 10/10 POS for throwing him down like that but what happens when its a Byfuglien or Burns instead? 

I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again. Pettersson might be mentally ready to play in the NHL but he isn't physically mature enough to handle it.

I don't want him finishing the year with a scrambled eggs for brains just so he can get a Calder and put fans in seats. 

The Vancouver organisation shouldn't have drafted him if they had no intention off standing up for him and protect him. They should instead have gone with a more physical player like Gabe Vilardi or Michael Rasmussen.

If that hit on Elias would have happened in the Swedish Hockey League, all hell would have broke loose. And remember Sweden is the place the Sedins comes from...

I feel bad for Pettersson. 

Spineless Canucks

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If that was to occur; I hope he crushes him with a good solid CLEAN body check. We don't want or need Jake to be suspended for a dirty one.

Oh for sure

Jake crushes players with clean hits all the time and I think he will be ‘looking’ for one a little harder that game

I saw the Elias hit while watching the tv highlights and was surprised we won so was in a good mood then this gruesome play just ruined it. 

:angry:

• Upvote 2

I am watching last nights game again. He made Matheson look bad on more than one occasion in the first and second periods, let alone what EP40 did to him before the infamous body slam. There is at least 4 serious attempts by different players to get a piece of Elias not just to bump him off the puck but to no avail. He is very elusive. He will know just have to be taught counter evasion moves to body slams. thank god mathesons go to move wasn't the pile driver.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Salming said:

The Vancouver organisation shouldn't have drafted him if they had no intention off standing up for him and protect him. They should instead have gone with a more physical player like Gabe Vilardi or Michael Rasmussen.

If that hit on Elias would have happened in the Swedish Hockey League, all hell would have broke loose. And remember Sweden is the place the Sedins comes from...

I feel bad for Pettersson. 

Spineless Canucks

In the SHL, you get a major + Game for even dropping your gloves.. "All hell" is pretty much saying tw*# to The player and get a 2 games suspension 

Sedins took a lot of abuse early on in their careers when they would embarrass teams with the puck cycle along the boards and their shot pass deflection goals. I assume the same will happen to Elias as he makes other teams look silly doing things that haven't been done before. 

Having a skilled guy who can win fights when needed on Elias's line is a must in my opinion. 

Here are some potential skilled forwards who stick up for their team mates 

Max Domi

Wayne Simmonds

Michael Ferland 

Tom Wilson 

Milan Lucic 

Jamie Benn 

Nick Foligno 

Jujhar Khaira 

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Sedins took a lot of abuse early on in their careers when they would embarrass teams with the puck cycle along the boards and their shot pass deflection goals. I assume the same will happen to Elias as he makes other teams look silly doing things that haven't been done before. 

Having a skilled guy who can win fights when needed on Elias's line is a must in my opinion. 

Here are some potential skilled forwards who stick up for their team mates 

Max Domi

Wayne Simmonds

Michael Ferland 

Tom Wilson 

Milan Lucic 

Jamie Benn 

Nick Foligno 

Jujhar Khaira 

Ryan Hartman and John Hayden are on my list of players I want to play with EP.

Edited by 73 Percent