The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Got to love it. Showed speed. And he showed strength on his feet to force the wrap around. And he scores on the one timer from the same spot time and time again. The Goalie knows where he is shooting and still can't stop it. He will make a impact in the NHL even if he was to come over right now. Got to love Sweden leaving this much talent at home. Saying he has been the benefactor of others? Now he is putting up point s with different players. I watched the Junior games and I thought they didn't want EP to succeed. I know that's unlikely but something didn't feel right. Nylander played brutal and you seldom hear any criticism his way. Must be politics. Maybe Sweden has a Leafs connection.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Long reach - check

Outside speed - check

Protects puck - check

Strength to hold off defender - check

So what are the concerns again?  Get this boy over here.

It's one thing to withstand the day-day physical rigors of the NHL, and totally another to have to deal with guys cheap shooting you at will. 
My worry isn't so much that he isn't strong enough, it's that our team isn't tough enough to protect any of these star spangled kids.
You either have to have one really tough top-tier MF on your team, or you have to do it by committee. The Canucks have neither.
I love all the skill being stockpiled but we need some muscle in the pipe too. Other than maybe Gadjovich, I don't see anyone. 

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

It's one thing to withstand the day-day physical rigors of the NHL, and totally another to have to deal with guys cheap shooting you at will. 
My worry isn't so much that he isn't strong enough, it's that our team isn't tough enough to protect any of these star spangled kids.
You either have to have one really tough top-tier MF on your team, or you have to do it by committee. The Canucks have neither.
I love all the skill being stockpiled but we need some muscle in the pipe too. Other than maybe Gadjovich, I don't see anyone. 

Well if you consider Tryamkin in their plans still, that's another.

MacEwan, Brassard, and Gunnarsson are also all tough dudes that I think have a real good shot of being role players in the NHL.

• Thanks 1

Long reach - check

Outside speed - check

Protects puck - check

Strength to hold off defender - check

So what are the concerns again?  Get this boy over here.

that about covers it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

MacEwen? 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you consider Tryamkin in their plans still, that's another.

MacEwan, Brassard, and Gunnarsson are also all tough dudes that I think have a real good shot of being role players in the NHL.

I think we have Tryamkin's rights for another 2 years (?) 

Out of MacEwen Brassard and Gunnarsson, I think MacEwen's the only guy who might have a shot in the near future. The other 2 are old enough to join Utica next season but you rarely see a guy projected to be a 3rd or 4th liner make the jump directly t the NHL... and I'm seriously worried about some of the talent this team could have on it next year - with zero protection.

I wanna see Pettersson (and some of the others) on this team as much as many of you do... but who's going to step up when Marchand torpedoes the kid Sami-Salo style???

:angry:

34 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

So we leave all the kids off the roster until we somehow develop a group of enforcers to protect them?  Next season is a long ways off -- TDL, draft, free agency, trades -- plenty will happen between now and then.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So we leave all the kids off the roster until we somehow develop a group of enforcers to protect them?  Next season is a long ways off -- TDL, draft, free agency, trades -- plenty will happen between now and then.

Good optimism, but in 7 years we are still looking so I cant see it all changes by the end of summer. We need to make some moves though. enough soft wingers move one for a Brendan Lemieux type winger

48 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

We may yet retain Gudbranson and could sign Kane. None of Horvat, Virtanen or Boeser are small or push overs. Tryamkin may yet come back. The aforementioned Gadjovich, MacEwen, Gunnarson etc. And all of Gaudette, Lind, Lockwood and Dahlen all play with a solid level of grit/push back. 

• Upvote 2

Obviously, you don't stall things because of it. Just pointing out it's a fairly significant issue.
Even the last few games you saw it. Marky got slashed in the face a few times. Boeser gets pushed head-first into the boards.... there's no response because there are no responders.

I said in another thread you can measure how good your team is, by how much its hated. Right now, everyone loves (playing) the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

I've caught a few games in their entirety and maybe parts of a dozen other games and there is no fighting in the SHL, none. I've seen him get popped in the mouth a couple times and he just spits a bit of blood on the ice and carries on. There are no enforcers and zero retaliation in the league he currently plays in, yet there are cheap shots and he seems to handle it ok.

Then there's the yeah but he plays on a bigger ice surface and won't be able to handle the board play on the smaller rink concerns. The kid doesn't shy away from board play at all. As crafty as he is in open ice, he is equally tricky on the wall. He is great with body position and making the defender react to what he is doing. He is always 1 step ahead of the opposition. He doesn't react, he creates.

From the start of the season until the most recent games I've caught, he doesn't get knocked to the ice nearly as much. He looked like Bambi in a few of the games at the beginning of the season, but he would get knocked down and spring right back to his feet like a jack-in-the-box.

For anyone thinking he may need time in the minors to get used to pro hockey, he's doing it right now. The size of the rink is of no concern when I see him play.

Now that he is playing center and the other half of the ice is available to him, he looks even more impressive. He can be the 3rd defender or the 1st on the zone entry. He's already a "200' player"

If you think he's not ready for the NHL yet. You haven't been watching.

Thanks for that. He definitely has NHL skill. I don't think anyone can argue that. Good to hear that he's had to deal with some of that stuff over there, because it's only going to happen more here.

BTW (and this goes out to anyone reading), does anyone know the rink dimensions of Vida Arena? (Vaxjo home)
I've read that some of the rinks in Finland, for example, are a kind of hybrid nhl/olympic size... so was wondering about that.
Doesn't seem like rink size is standardized like it is here, so the whole "getting used to playing on a smaller surface" may be somewhat overstated 

• Like 1