The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Had the pleasure of watching EP live at the prospects game at  Rogers last summer with 6000 other season ticket holders. Nice to focus on him from the 6th row center ice. ( better than my regular seats lol).

Yes the kid is extremely talented.  It is obvious when you see him live. Then, this year he went and  exceeded expectations by a wide margin. 

Odds are he may just become our best player in the future. 

Get used to it. I am not the only longtime fan saying this.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I love that he's proving himself more and more.I think sheltered minutes to begin with on the PP, and lesser minutes, and paired with experienced forwards like Bo and Ericksson.I think he'll adapt and get to know NHL especially the crap after the whistle. But he looks to have strong Nordic fortitude.

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Like who?  Sandlak, Hodgson?  The only truly top flight prospects I remember are Linden, Bure, Sedin, and Sedin.  We have also had some much lesser known prospects like Kesler, Burrows and Hansen become huge contributors.

The media in Vancouver we’re excited about Jere Gillis and Hanlon, but not anything close to Linden and the twins. That might have been Big Al Davidson, as he hyped every first rounder back in the day. I kinda remember Bure excitement heating up when they got him out of Mother Russia, and having him in LA before he got his visa, etc. I don’t think the media knew anything about Bure until he played that first game against Winnipeg. At least, how damn good he was!

Edited by johngould21

20 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

And a couple of games as an defensive LW ::D

And a shift at D.

Awesome game by EP. Anyone saying Nedved was hyped like EP  never watched Nedved. He was a talented player who didn't make it. He had Heart but not of a hockey player. In Nedveds trophy room he has the stick he asked Gretzky for when they were shaking hands after Los Angelos eliminated them. He was a fan not a player. Back to our Generational talent in EP.  Generational= A player who comes around say once a decade! EP is doing things never done before! I hear them Ray Ferrero  say the talent is deluded, yet I don't see other rookies tearing it up? The scoring is down! Not like the NHL lots of 3-1 and 2-1 scores. So hats off to any fan who has the balls to jump on board of a sensational player just getting his bearings. And as for the fans stuck in Cody Hodgsons or Peter Nedved we will wait and see. Good on you for showing your eye for hockey talent, The scouting world needs your viewpoint. Or is it simply put your fans of the Oilers Flames ot Leafs and watching a team get better with-out a first over all player? Or maybe you yelled tank so loud it makes you feel insecure if the Canucks rebuild with-out picking top 5?

Anyways you know who you are and the wait and watch from the start of the year has turned into OMG, is this kid for real. 

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That Pettersson -- looks like yet another Benning fail.  Bustersson.

#jinxannulled

#innoculated

Love it. I understand when fans want to see a team flop. I have my Calgary. Wishing it showed the comment you replied too.

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

And a shift at D.

Awesome game by EP. Anyone saying Nedved was hyped like EP  never watched Nedved. He was a talented player who didn't make it. He had Heart but not of a hockey player. In Nedveds trophy room he has the stick he asked Gretzky for when they were shaking hands after Los Angelos eliminated them. He was a fan not a player. Back to our Generational talent in EP.  Generational= A player who comes around say once a decade! EP is doing things never done before! I hear them Ray Ferrero  say the talent is deluded, yet I don't see other rookies tearing it up? The scoring is down! Not like the NHL lots of 3-1 and 2-1 scores. So hats off to any fan who has the balls to jump on board of a sensational player just getting his bearings. And as for the fans stuck in Cody Hodgsons or Peter Nedved we will wait and see. Good on you for showing your eye for hockey talent, The scouting world needs your viewpoint. Or is it simply put your fans of the Oilers Flames ot Leafs and watching a team get better with-out a first over all player? Or maybe you yelled tank so loud it makes you feel insecure if the Canucks rebuild with-out picking top 5?

Anyways you know who you are and the wait and watch from the start of the year has turned into OMG, is this kid for real. 

Nedved was a very good player; he just didn't measure up to the hype.  717pt in 982 games is a good player and that was in the dead puck era.  Player development in those days is nothing like it is now.

Cody Hodgson was also a good prospect.  Unfortunately his career was negated by a genetic disorder called malignant hyperthermia.  We'll never know if Cody could have become the kind of player that he was projected to become.

Pettersson is looking very promising, but to call him a generational talent is sheer hype.  He's still a kid and has never played in the NHL, so why put all this pressure on him?  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.  My guess is that he will be an exceptional player, but will need time to grow into it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Nedved was a very good player; he just didn't measure up to the hype.  717pt in 982 games is a good player and that was in the dead puck era.  Player development in those days is nothing like it is now.

Cody Hodgson was also a good prospect.  Unfortunately his career was negated by a genetic disorder called malignant hyperthermia.  We'll never know if Cody could have become the kind of player that he was projected to become.

Pettersson is looking very promising, but to call him a generational talent is sheer hype.  He's still a kid and has never played in the NHL, so why put all this pressure on him?  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.  My guess is that he will be an exceptional player, but will need time to grow into it.

Just saying neither had the pedigree that EP has that's all.  They were all expected to grow as players. EP would have to fall down to fail but if he just keeps going I say Generational player= A player who does things others simply can't, Or a player who exceeds his peers by miles ie EP in Sweden.

So maybe you have your back up because you can't judge talent its no big deal. He is growing this year. and will step in and be way better than we all expect.

Some players make their own hype.

Edited by cory40
had to complete phone rang
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Just saying neither had the pedigree that EP has that's all. 

Well, you appear to be on the hype train, so fill your boots.  The term 'generational player' seems to be overused these days.  I will be very happy to watch EP become an elite player with a long lasting career.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, you appear to be on the hype train, so fill your boots.  The term 'generational player' seems to be overused these days.  I will be very happy to watch EP become an elite player with a long lasting career.

Yeh I've only seen a few generational players in my time Gretz ,Lemieux, Forsberg Maybe McDavid maybe EP.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Yeh I've only seen a few generational players in my time Gretz ,Lemieux, Forsberg Maybe McDavid maybe EP.

Whoa.   First, leaving Crosby off that list is a huge miss.   Second, McDavid in his Draft +1 year was a ppg player in the NHL, EP was in SEL.   EP is an outstanding prospect and I am personally very high on him and can see him developing over some years to be a 70-90 point guy in NHL which is elite BUT he is not going to be McDavid, Lemieux or Gretzky let alone the likely best of them all, Crosby.   He has the potential to be a top 20 point guy in the NHL for many seasons - that is elite.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Had the pleasure of watching EP live at the prospects game at  Rogers last summer with 6000 other season ticket holders. Nice to focus on him from the 6th row center ice. ( better than my regular seats lol).

Yes the kid is extremely talented.  It is obvious when you see him live. Then, this year he went and  exceeded expectations by a wide margin. 

Odds are he may just become our best player in the future. 

Get used to it. I am not the only longtime fan saying this.  

I was there too. I wasn't a big EP fan going into the draft, after that prospect game he really changed my mind

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Whoa.   First, leaving Crosby off that list is a huge miss.   Second, McDavid in his Draft +1 year was a ppg player in the NHL, EP was in SEL.   EP is an outstanding prospect and I am personally very high on him and can see him developing over some years to be a 70-90 point guy in NHL which is elite BUT he is not going to be McDavid, Lemieux or Gretzky let alone the likely best of them all, Crosby.   He has the potential to be a top 20 point guy in the NHL for many seasons - that is elite.  

I respect that , But I see EP as a hands down ppg player. I like how he gets points and thinks the game. yeh Crosby is a rare player sorry for that. I am betting EP is the player who others chase in the scoring race. Not as much flash and dash as McDavid But I see McDavid as a player who has to be flying to get points. And I am figuring Boeser will add open ice to EP and vice versa. I see EP as 100 -110 point player in his high end . But hey its still too early I really like how many points EP gets because of making a play out of nothing and not doing it at dangerous speeds ( injuries ie Pavel Bure)

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It was a good game.  EP had three points, could easily have had five.   As rough as most any NHL playoff game - very hard hitting with lots of after whistle scrums and chippy crap at face-offs etc.   EP seemed to enjoy it all and only got stronger as the game wore on and the physicality increased - he appears to not a player that will disappear if things get rough, in fact he seemed to be more visible as that increased.   Loved the dangles and the speed rushes - he continues to look faster than I thought he was.

Man it is hard not to get too hyped about this teen who looks 12 but some players just have "it" and this kid seems to be one of those.    

His physical game has evolved so much this season. At the start he was getting knocked down at least 2 and sometimes several times per game. He always sprang to his feet like a jack-in-the-box and I remarked at the time that at least he'd get stronger having to do push ups during games. Now having played near 80 games this season he is rock solid on his skates and he uses contact to draw in defenders and find a way to turnstile them or find an open teammate. 

I'll probably get booed heavily for saying this, but I just worry about someone hanging a knee out and taking a cheap shot, when he goes into that gliding stance with his feet well apart. It's then that he makes those quick moves that usually make defenders look silly. NHL players aren't going to like that from a rookie. I don't know but I get nervous when he takes the puck into traffic. He waits until the last second to make his moves and there is the potential for a dirty player to take advantage of that position.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

More Elias:

EDIT: C More Sport should really change their name to C More Elias :) 

I just watched this about 20 times. That is next level creativity and timing. He takes a sideways glance at his teammate coming over the blueline and makes a split second decision to draw the defenders to him and put the puck in an area where the trailer can find a scoring chance in the slot. :shock:

Either that or he's got a camera in the rear of his helmet and his visor is a heads up display, terminator style. Dumbfounded.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3