The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

When you put a team in a non-traditional environment it is a good idea to give them a chance to be decent.  Look what happened to the Grizzlies here.  Got screwed at every turn, were a lousy team that was awful to watch and never caught on.  

Phoenix has been bad for a very long time.  The Thrashers were mostly terrible.

Florida got good early and it bought them a lot of years before consistent loosing beat that fan base up to the point of forgetting them.

I think if you are going to put a new team in you need to give them a chance to succeed.  Vegas caught lightning in a bottle this year.  Great job buy the management and coaching and like Rob said above, a lot of players having career years.  Some really nice players to build around though they will be taking a step back likely next couple years as the boatload of draft picks develop.

Although I think it is a great story and good for hockey in the States. The way LV had every team over a barrel was a little bush league imo. Without getting into team by team ill pick one. The Ducks. They spend 3-5 years stockpiling young solid D with the intention of having them in their system for at least 7 years. then bam because of the stupid draft rules on how many players you can protect. They have to give a pick and Theodore so that they can keep Rackell. 

I'm all for having a team have a fair shot right out the gate but this is ridiculous. 

I think there needs to either more players protected, or have a higher threshold for players to be exempt. Look at who we may potentially lose if Ctown is given the same rules.  it will cost us a 1st or a 2nd just to keep them from drafting one of our young studs.. That might not even be enough if the new core all reach their ceiling they will be worth more than a draft pick.

Sorry to derail the EP thread, but this sort of is about him in a roundabout way. 

7 hours ago, Stelar said:

How come when I come to the EP thread it’s not about EP?

Your profile pic is perfect for the type of posts you always write. Not even being an ass just find it funny you would say that when most of what you post is just something negative or not really about the actual post. 

Cheer up you live in the nicest place in the world. Beautiful oceans lots of great places to vacation. sheesh, you act like my uncle who lives in Alberta.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, tas said:

if vegas makes the finals, or -- god forbid -- wins the cup, it'll be on the backs of their management group being incredibly savvy and their coaching staff pulling together a group of players who were all at best the 9th or 10th most valuable players on their former teams and motivating them into a powerhouse.

they deserve whatever success they achieve. 

Unless the league changes the rules of the game and the way penalties are called in the middle of he playoffs then every team that wins the cup deserves the cup. 

Its the hardest trophy to win. 

The reality is that LVK were given a distinct advantage over previous expansion teams. That was intended but no one saw how effective a team could be built with this way. 

LVK is unlike any other team since the earliest expansion teams.  There is no drop off in depth from the first line to the guys sitting in the press box. 

Thats not scouting, drafting or development. That’s getting to pick any player with more than two years of pro hockey from any team in the league. 

31 guys, all legit NHLer’s and having a year to watch a lot of hockey.  They did their due diligence and Gallant was a great hire. In fact Florida basically got LVK started with their ownership dumpster fire management disaster. 

Tallon will have a long road to haul to get that team back into shape. 

The LVK model is ideal for the new NHL.  It would be almost impossible for the legacy teams to match LVK’s roster line for line. 

I dont think that was intentional.  They wanted LVK to have a fighting chance and be competitive, but not dominant. 

Savvy management, yes.  Fantastic terms and having an unforeseen tactical advantage that no other team in league history has ever had. That’s as important to the story as everything else. 

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

What’s with this 4 second line stuff they had a 40 goal scorer and you’re calling him a second liner and JM is like 75 point this year and I’m pretty sure he was injured at the beginning of the season like common show them some respect 

They are team built of other teams tweener’s. That’s what they had to start with. 

A team filled with top 4 d men, middle six forwards and solid goalies. 

With increased minutes and better zone starts and line

matching can make an decent player into an excellent player. 

Added to that Gallant knew JM very well. LVK played Florida

like a harp. Gotta think that Gallant was happy to assist MacPhee in getting

back at the ownership that kicked home off the bus. 

LVK was built on the philosophy of John Forbes Nash Jr applied to hockey. Basically spreading the wealth of talent throughout the line up. This allows

LVK to neutralize opposing top players and softing up the weaker lines to take advantage.  

It may become a model model for other teams to emulate. Money puck with a distinct advantage.  

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

Although I think it is a great story and good for hockey in the States. The way LV had every team over a barrel was a little bush league imo. Without getting into team by team ill pick one. The Ducks. They spend 3-5 years stockpiling young solid D with the intention of having them in their system for at least 7 years. then bam because of the stupid draft rules on how many players you can protect. They have to give a pick and Theodore so that they can keep Rackell. 

I'm all for having a team have a fair shot right out the gate but this is ridiculous. 

I think there needs to either more players protected, or have a higher threshold for players to be exempt. Look at who we may potentially lose if Ctown is given the same rules.  it will cost us a 1st or a 2nd just to keep them from drafting one of our young studs.. That might not even be enough if the new core all reach their ceiling they will be worth more than a draft pick.

Sorry to derail the EP thread, but this sort of is about him in a roundabout way. 

Exactly. 

LVK has unintended (IMO) advantages.  Bettman and co wanted the NHL to make a splash in Vegas.  So they gave LVK terms that may have proved to be too advantageous. 

Will Quebec get the same terms? Doubt it.  They likely wont

grt a team

Will Seattle?  Doubt it. Don’t thinl the league governers will go for this experiment again.  

LVK has smarter lawyers than the NHL head office. Well

thats not a high bar (pun intended). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Exactly. 

LVK has unintended (IMO) advantages.  Bettman and co wanted the NHL to make a splash in Vegas.  So they gave LVK terms that may have proved to be too advantageous. 

Will Quebec get the same terms? Doubt it.  They likely wont

grt a team

Will Seattle?  Doubt it. Don’t thinl the league governers will go for this experiment again.  

LVK has smarter lawyers than the NHL head office. Well

thats not a high bar (pun intended). 

Totally agree. if Seattle has the same rules and all of JB"s scouting comes to fruition we are going to be in a bad place. Sure we can expose Louie if he is still here, but if we have a couple of young kids that need to be protected is a 1st going to be enough to sway them from a guy who maybe is already better in their eyes then a 1st? Especially since I highly doubt it will be a lottery type pick. If JB"s plan comes together in the next couple of years that might be a pick in the late teens to early 30"s (fingers crossed lol)

I honestly feel bad for Quebec. They would support the crap out of a team and it wouldn't matter if they sucked out of the gate. I know the Expos played in Montreal but look at the turnout they get for a nothing pre=season baseball game. How fitting was it that JR hit a walk-off in Dads old stomping grounds? You can't make that stuff up. Cheers

10 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Except its actually really annoying to have to search through countless posts not about EP in the EP thread

I agree and I always apologize if I respond to something off topic. I was just poking fun at him since literally every time I read something from him it is negative and quite often derails the thread. You are right tho I have been guilty of responding to things off topic, but sometimes you have no choice since the convo wouldn't be worth starting a whole new thread.  Question about EP do you think he has a shot at rookie of the year in the SHL?  Obviously, Dahlin has the hype and is younger so he has that going for him. I could be wrong but he didn't break any records or win any type of scoring records this year that I am aware of Did he?

If you just looked at pure stats and the fact that EP is still playing. and averaging a PPG on a team heading to the finals. Based purely on that shouldn't he win? 

Of course, we hype the crap out of EP out here but everywhere else all you hear about is Dahlin. and if this was voted on by North Americans Rasmus would win just because of how good he should become and all the hype that brings. IMo it should be based on what they accomplished in the SHL this year.

Actually, I just googled SHL to see about Frolunda, and at one point this year EP was the most popular tweet in Sweden. I guess the kid gets plenty of love there too. lol

Dang Sweden has a ton of leagues. You gotta have a ton of scouts down there if you're an NHL club Makes sense why so many Swedes seem to go a little under the radar. Like EP I know his size might have scared a few teams but it must be hard to judge a player with so many different levels of play. I wonder if a guy like EP played out here in the CHL would he have gotten more attention?

Sweden (Hockey)
SHL (4)
HockeyAllsvenskan
AllEttan Norra
AllEttan Södra
AllEttan Mellan
Division 1 A Vår
Division 1 A
Division 1 B Vår
Division 1 B
Division 1 C Vår
Division 1 C
Division 1 D Vår
Division 1 D
Division 1 E Vår
Division 1 E
Division 1 F Vår
Division 1 F
Clas Ohlson Cup
SCA Cupen
AllEttan Play Offs
Division 1
Allsvenskan Norra
Allsvenskan Sodra
Division 1 Norra
HockeyEttan Norra
HockeyEttan Sodra
HockeyEttan Vastra
HockeyEttan Ostra

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Except its actually really annoying to have to search through countless posts not about EP in the EP thread

Forgot that this was the EP thread. I just hit on the notifications and respond to the poster. 

Apologies. EmW

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I agree and I always apologize if I respond to something off topic. I was just poking fun at him since literally every time I read something from him it is negative and quite often derails the thread. You are right tho I have been guilty of responding to things off topic, but sometimes you have no choice since the convo wouldn't be worth starting a whole new thread.  Question about EP do you think he has a shot at rookie of the year in the SHL?  Obviously, Dahlin has the hype and is younger so he has that going for him. I could be wrong but he didn't break any records or win any type of scoring records this year that I am aware of Did he?

If you just looked at pure stats and the fact that EP is still playing. and averaging a PPG on a team heading to the finals. Based purely on that shouldn't he win? 

Of course, we hype the crap out of EP out here but everywhere else all you hear about is Dahlin. and if this was voted on by North Americans Rasmus would win just because of how good he should become and all the hype that brings. IMo it should be based on what they accomplished in the SHL this year.

Actually, I just googled SHL to see about Frolunda, and at one point this year EP was the most popular tweet in Sweden. I guess the kid gets plenty of love there too. lol

EP should be the rookie of the year hands down, so they have a rookie of the year award in the SEL?  

When you are a rookie and lead the league in points, break 40 year old records and are up for player of the year awards, it seems a slam dunk. 

I have no idea about who could legitimately compete with him for the award, or what politics may be involved... 

EmW

• Upvote 2

I'm happy for LV. They had to pick from every teams "scraps" basically, and put together a very competitive team. They're having unprecedented success this year (their 1st), and maybe this is why some Canucks fans are choked. We've been waiting almost 50 years for a Cup and LV managed to put together a playoff team in one year. I can understand the envy.

Pettersson will most likely play RW. Read in the Province today that they may trade for Spezza to centre Dahlen and Pettersson. I think that's a great idea. His contract is terrible, but it's only for one more year. Maybe Benning gets him on the cheap, or maybe DAL retains some of his salary? Be great to include Honka in the deal, if possible.

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Spezza - Pettersson

Virtanen - Gaudette - Gagner

Archibald - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic

Hmm, no room for Baertschi and Granlund

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm happy for LV. They had to pick from every teams "scraps" basically, and put together a very competitive team. They're having unprecedented success this year (their 1st), and maybe this is why some Canucks fans are choked. We've been waiting almost 50 years for a Cup and LV managed to put together a playoff team in one year. I can understand the envy.

Pettersson will most likely play RW. Read in the Province today that they may trade for Spezza to centre Dahlen and Pettersson. I think that's a great idea. His contract is terrible, but it's only for one more year. Maybe Benning gets him on the cheap, or maybe DAL retains some of his salary? Be great to include Honka in the deal, if possible.

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Spezza - Pettersson

Virtanen - Gaudette - Gagner

Archibald - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic

Hmm, no room for Baertschi and Granlund

No doubt we need 1 more C 

id prefer Spezza over Bozak on a longer term deal whereas a player like spezza would only be for 1 year.

Granlund and Baerstchi could be traded.

im not sure I like the idea of Dahlen and EP playing with Spezza though, a little too soft for me and who protects the kids there?

Not sure if they both make the team next year too but who knows.