The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Curious, after watching the Leafs in the playoffs, Matthews pretty much not that effective - would any Canucks fans trade Pettersson to TOR for Matthews? (I know TOR wouldn't do this because Matthews is their guy and they'd look like fools trying to trade him, but just curious)

I wouldn't make the trade

I'm sorry this is the silliest thing Iv read all day. 

5 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I'm sorry this is the silliest thing Iv read all day. 

True.  No way would the Canucks trade their super duper star for a guy who fizzles out in the playoffs.  Pettersson makes his linemates better.  Matthews seems to drag down his line.  And the Leafs are going to pay that guy McDavid dollars!  Not a chance we trade Pettersson for him.  Zero ... notta ... no way.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Unfortunately yes. The general consensus over there (HFBoards) is that all Utica management connected to the Canucks front office is trash and that Vancouver has been pretty much a useless caretaker since Henning left the picture. Anything good that happens with the Comets is credited to Esche and the AHL front office.

It's a shame too. I've scanned those boards for a while now. Used to be respectful & appreciative. Got an AHL team again, & upgrades to their famous barn. Last yr or two, seems like perpetual whining of a presumptuous, noisy teen.

Canucks had to build from(basically) scorched earth, encountering a few injury-riddled seasons along the way. Yet the Comets played hard(with what they had), even making a Finals run. Had plenty of moments to enjoy!

So they're entitled(?) to slag on the franchise-hierarchy? Lucky they got a new team in the freeken first place!

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  No way would the Canucks trade their super duper star for a guy who fizzles out in the playoffs.  Pettersson makes his linemates better.  Matthews seems to drag down his line.  And the Leafs are going to pay that guy McDavid dollars!  Not a chance we trade Pettersson for him.  Zero ... notta ... no way.

Also wouldn't trade him for McDavid himself. Forget fizzling out in the playoffs, McDavid couldn't even get to the playoffs this year.

I remember it was only a short time ago people were trashing Benning for the pick. Amazing how things can change so quickly.

Comets going into Game 4 vs Toronto at 4:00 pst, looking to tie the series up and force a Game 5. Demko getting the start again for Utica. Jasek out with an injury.

MacMaster-Chaput-MacEwen

Boucher-Darcy-Goldobin

Dahlen-Hamilton-Carcone

Motte-Cassels-Bancks

Wiercioch-Chatfield

Sautner-Blujus

Brisebois-Sifers

Good news for the Comets: no players have joined the Marlies yet. Johnsson, Kapanen, Dermott all still yet to be reassigned.

17 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Comets going into Game 4 vs Toronto at 4:00 pst, looking to tie the series up and force a Game 5. Demko getting the start again for Utica. Jasek out with an injury.

MacMaster-Chaput-MacEwen

Boucher-Darcy-Goldobin

Dahlen-Hamilton-Carcone

Motte-Cassels-Bancks

Wiercioch-Chatfield

Sautner-Blujus

Brisebois-Sifers

Good news for the Comets: no players have joined the Marlies yet. Johnsson, Kapanen, Dermott all still yet to be reassigned.

Probably will re-assign them if it gets to Game 5. Hopefully we will have enough momentum to overcome their reinforcements. If it doesn't make it to Game 5, then the Marlies can rest those guys up a bit for the next round. Curious if maybe those players are in consideration for their countries for the World Championships though.

Utica comes out of period one with a 1-0 lead off of Boucher's early goal, shots are 12-7 for Toronto. Was 7-7 for quite a while after a stretch of quiet play in the latter half of the period before Toronto applied some late pressure with a series of possessions in the Utica zone. Demko's been especially sharp, showing good rebound control so far, either covering shots or deflecting them out of danger. Boucher-Darcy-Goldobin came out with a very fast start; aside from the goal, Goldobin had a good chance on the PP with a knuckler that Sparks fought off, and then a breakaway later on splitting the defense from the blueline in. He and Boucher have that chemistry they showcased in the regular season cooking again. Chaput took a couple shifts in Darcy's place later in the period. Dahlen had a couple shaky moments handling the puck on the PP, coughing it up twice, but recovered nicely to break up a shorthanded bid the other way. Comets defense as a whole has been good at limiting second chance opportunities and recovering shots in their own zone but had difficulty coming up with any way to get the puck back in the last couple minutes of that frame. Good discipline so far, no penalties taken by Utica in the initial frame which has been a problem early in the series.

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

The team has really helped rally that community back together. They had some hard financial times I recall watching a mini doc on it.  The Utica Comets really helped inspire hope and confidence in their community. You can see their passion and dedication to this team even when players are constantly changing. Aside from the long travel for our kids to come up its the perfect incubator.  As nice as it would be to have the Comets in BC lets face it the building would be half empty most nights if the team wasn't excelling.  This team brings that community together and this ladies smile makes me happy our organization could unite their community like that. They give it there all for the team that gave them so much.

Archived