The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2017-18 (Contact Nail if interested)

Nail

I'm new to the league, as I came in just before trade deadline this year and finished 3rd last, so my opinion on the league doesn't and shouldn't have much weight yet. But when I took the job I knew that the Coyotes were asset-poor, and I don't see us being a threat any time soon. In fact, next year we'll be paying Zetterberg and Mike Smith over $4m to play somewhere else (which was already on the books when I arrived). It would have been nearly impossible for us to have iced a full-NHL lineup without mortgaging some picks and our future a bit, which would have kept us in the basement for the long-term. The waiver-wire has been our friend and could continue to be for a while lol.

Teams tank in real life, so it's a viable strategy. It's not something we plan on doing, as we actually moved out of the 2nd-last spot down the stretch. But I can pretty much guarantee that we'll be bottom-10 next year, and perhaps dead-last if injuries happen. But it won't be for a lack of trying to get better. And hopefully in two years from today we'll be coming off of a playoff run or still in the middle of one.

Just now, _arby_18 said:

:o

I think you missed this one in Year 1 too: To NJD - Valeri Nichushkin, Michael Grabner, Nick Spaling, Clayton Stoner, Al Montoya, ARZ 2015 1st Round Pick
To ARZ - Cody Hodgson, Ondrej Pavelec, Jannick Hansen, NJD 2016 3rd Round Pick

ill give you one guess to who that 1st become... 

Hint: his names starts with a C and his last name starts with a M 

2 minutes ago, Nail said:

I think you missed this one in Year 1 too: To NJD - Valeri Nichushkin, Michael Grabner, Nick Spaling, Clayton Stoner, Al Montoya, ARZ 2015 1st Round Pick

:wacko:

55 minutes ago, Nail said:

This was my first foray into the league. A few of my proudest moments. No reason to lay out the brutal ones, there are too many :lol: 

To CAR - Ryan Pulock

To ARZ - Anthony Mantha

To CAR - Dustin Byfuglien, Rinat Valiev

To LAK - Anton Stralman

To LAK - Tyler Seguin

To CAR - Brayden Schenn, Mark Scheifele, Pavel Jenys

Think the Mantha for Pulock trade was still one that works out for both sides.

Now, while I definitely botched my Schenn trade that followed (Schenn, Bowey and something else for Seabrook), getting Byfuglien and Scheifele for Stralman and Seguin cemented my turnaround going forward.

28 minutes ago, Nail said:

oh my gawd....Craig McTavish?!

27 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

To ANA - Nick Bjugstad, Tomas Jurco, PHI 2015 2nd Round Pick

To CAR - Julius Honka, Nikolaj Ehlers, Madison Bowey

:huh:

Forgot about that one, too. Then traded Ehlers (because already having Scheifele and Buff) and Kevin Hayes for Taylor Hall, who I then traded for Gardiner. Then flipped Gardiner for a kings ransom.

Overall, I shat the bed when trading Ehlers and all subsequent returns. But I’m still a top 5 team, so there’s that <_<

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

We have a trade...

To ARZ: Robert Thomas

To CAR: 2018 MTL 1st (9th overall)

Thanks MM for processing and to @_arby_18 for fun negotiations (I love discord chat).

Not easy giving up Robert “Smooth” Thomas. He’s already expected to be on the Blues next season. However, with Scheifele, Buff, Dumba, and Coyle, really didn’t need another central player. And the chance to draft a top 10 draft player (or Jesper Bratt :bigblush: ) is too good to pass up.

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

We have a trade...

To ARZ: Robert Thomas

To CAR: 2018 MTL 1st (9th overall)

Thanks to @Monty for the quality trade talks that have been going on for a while.

We were content to head into the draft with picks 5 and 9, but when Robert Thomas’ name came up it certainly peaked my interest. He’s rocketed up some lists since last years draft, and the kid just won the OHL Playoff MVP award. He’ll certainly give us another reason to watch the Memorial Cup, especially when he plays Glenn Gawdin and Georgio Estephan. We have visions of him and Martin Necas solidifying our lineup up the middle for the next decade. 

Holding onto the 5th pick certainly this trade easier to make. But moving it now after this deal? You can forget about it...

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thanks MM for processing and to @_arby_18 for fun negotiations (I love discord chat).

Not easy giving up Robert “Smooth” Thomas. He’s already expected to be on the Blues next season. However, with Scheifele, Buff, Dumba, and Coyle, really didn’t need another central player. And the chance to draft a top 10 draft player (or Jesper Bratt :bigblush: ) is too good to pass up.

I keep forgetting about Bratt haha. I'll be very curious to see where he goes.

Archived