The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2017-18 (Contact Nail if interested)

Nail

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have a cunning idea that may not be popular whatsoever but I am gonna pitch it anyway for maybe talking about at next years survey: 

No matter what happens after the final NHL game of the season and our points totals are counted for the year and the playoff teams are decided et cetera, but before another moment passes: the worst team in the league's GM is fired by their owners. 

Not banned from the game just fired. They could get in the "pool" of GM's awaiting a team and apply to have a job when the next opening comes but the top applicant waiting in the wings inherits a team with a top draft pick or the goods from trading that pick away and carries on. The fired GM will eventually be back GM'ing another team, or not, depending on their application to the executive. Its a bit of a next level rule..so i dunno if it would get any traction but it is 100% aimed at tanking and 'not doing all you can do' to keep your team above worst in the league. 

; )

OH SHOOT...reading this back half an hour later I really want to add that it didn't even occur to me who may have come in last this year: this is 100% NOT about that, or anyone here. I love all you folks! This is just a general ..."in five or six years now of playing fantasy hockey this would be the one thing I don't really like but everyone seems to do if their team doesn't have a hope of the playoffs: tank and try to get the best pick". and in no way is it aimed at anyone who has ever come in last...and I don't even recall who is bottom this year, so it certainly isn't about you. thank you.

Tanking happens in real life, why would we not allow it here?

Kings have the following on the block:

Top-4 D

Kris Letang

Colin Miller

Impending UFAs

Craig Smith

Patrick Marleau

Michael Haley (259 Fpts!)

Depth Forwards

Tim Schaller

Tom Kuhnhackl

William Carrier (waiver ineligible)

Backup Goaltender 

Casey DeSmith ($650k cap hit)

Looking for picks, prospects, and/or younger players. 

8 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

Tanking happens in real life, why would we not allow it here?

it would still be allowed, but teams would have to dance a little and keep it real to not be bottom of the pack. I know this likely will never happen but it would be a very neat feature that if you don't make the playoffs...you could be the one unlucky guy who gets the axe at the end of the season: incentive to keep your team topped up with players who are actually on the ice in the NHL for instance...you would have to tank just enough to get a high lotto spot but not enough to be on the sidelines until the next opening for a GM comes up. 

10 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have a cunning idea that may not be popular whatsoever but I am gonna pitch it anyway for maybe talking about at next years survey: 

No matter what happens after the final NHL game of the season and our points totals are counted for the year and the playoff teams are decided et cetera, but before another moment passes: the worst team in the league's GM is fired by their owners. 

Not banned from the game just fired. They could get in the "pool" of GM's awaiting a team and apply to have a job when the next opening comes but the top applicant waiting in the wings inherits a team with a top draft pick or the goods from trading that pick away and carries on. The fired GM will eventually be back GM'ing another team, or not, depending on their application to the executive. Its a bit of a next level rule..so i dunno if it would get any traction but it is 100% aimed at tanking and 'not doing all you can do' to keep your team above worst in the league. 

; )

OH SHOOT...reading this back half an hour later I really want to add that it didn't even occur to me who may have come in last this year: this is 100% NOT about that, or anyone here. I love all you folks! This is just a general ..."in five or six years now of playing fantasy hockey this would be the one thing I don't really like but everyone seems to do if their team doesn't have a hope of the playoffs: tank and try to get the best pick". and in no way is it aimed at anyone who has ever come in last...and I don't even recall who is bottom this year, so it certainly isn't about you. thank you.

I agree that blatant tanking should be addressed (ie: not dressing a full lineup, not calling up legitimate rookies from your farm that are producing at a worthwhile clip). However, that is something that Nail and I have been monitoring and have discussed over the last 2 seasons; each season a little closer than the other. 

However, beyond the obvious examples of not dressing a full lineup or calling up regular NHLers, I feel punishing a team that is last place due to terrible luck sometimes is not the way to go. 

For example, while he didn’t finish last, albeit close, @Tigs just had a bad season this year. However, last season I won the President’s Trophy and he took me out in the first round. Teams can also suffer devastating injuries (ie: Bomba last season I believe) and just have no luck whatsoever.

Overall, I find we have a great group of 31 GMs. All of whom I find are actively involved, respond to PMs, and genuinely try and improve their rosters. Most (if not all) of us know that you can’t rely on top draft picks to push you over the top. 

Little long, but I think I’ve communicated my personal stance on it. If there’s guys who want to tank (while still dressing full rosters and respecting the integrity of the league), I understand. Because on the complete opposite end, you have some guys (ie: Mike V) who couldn’t care less about his draft picks and is about to win the Cup. And he’ll likely trade every 2020 pick as well to ensure he remains on top.

Yeah, I am pretty confident a ''fire the bottom gm every year" rule will never come to pass in any keeper league here on CDC....but its a neat concept, you have to admit. My submitting the idea for discussion was really meant in general over every league..not aimed just at this one. I think it would be, on a macro level (*in the sense that you take the personal away from the regulatory) an evolution in cdc fantasy gaming to have that accountability rule in at least one league. After a couple years it would be "oh can't tank too obviously or I will get fired" leading to a whole new dimension at the trade deadline. In the end it isn't addressing any shortcomings or to be a punitive measure so much as a nod to real life sacking of poor performers and a move to curtail worst teams staying worst while talent congregates at the top end. As a social experiment i find it awesome that everyone thus far is thinking of it as a punishment for perceived wrongdoing...but that is not the way i wish i presented it. More of an added dimension in a cdc fantasy world that has about 40 to 50 avid fantasy GM's in it, enjoying various games here. I would not want to sit out and wait for an opening on another team in any league..so i would work a lot harder to stay off the floor even while swooping down towards bottom for rebuild purposes...but i have beaten this horse enough for a thought experiment that will never come to pass. ; ) Thanks for reading. 

As the team that finished last I just wanted to chime in here.

I first want to say that I never have tanked and i am against tanking if it is obvious. It may seem with the way my roster looks that I am tanking. I was going after alot of the big name FA last off-season and was able to land a couple players. I never expected Jannik Hansen to be as bad as he was last year, now I am on the hook for that contract. Also Ryan Kesler doesn't seem that he will live up to the contract he has and now I am on the hook for that, Lundqvist had an up and down year and I have no backup. As I thought Pickard would actually be a decent backup, but for some reason he stayed in the AHL all year.

Now I know some GM's here put in a lot of effort in this league and are scouting players who could be signed as FA or might be steals in the mid-rounds of drafts. I for one do not put in that type of effort and with that will probably never win. I haven't even looked at players past the top 10 of this years draft. I will just look at a list somewhere on the internet and pick players based off that list when I pick in the later rounds. I may have gotten lucky with some of my picks last year, and hope to get lucky again with picks this year.

I know my team doesnt look good and I will probably be one of the worst teams again next year, but I will be active and doing what I can to dress a full roster and do what I can to help my team for the future and for now I do not want to lose my position as GM of the Ducks.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

On behalf of @Monty and myself, we are pleased to announce two additional tweaks to the way our game is run.

Effective for re-signings following the 2018-19 season, I will be joining Monty as a player agent. Both of us will collaborate and talk about potential contracts that are offered by teams, as well as come up with counter offers. We will only collaborate on players who will be receiving significant contracts. Player re-signings for ELCs, prospect or depth signings will be handled just by Monty himself, we see no need for multiple people to be involved there. We hope that adding a second opinion on the agent side for contracts for significant players will allow for a second voice and provide more significant discussions for both teams and agents. I will only be in PMs for re-signings, not free agency. We feel that free agency is different than re-signings, as player prices is usually determined by the teams offering for the players, not the players asking the teams.

The second change has to do with players with NTC/NMCs. Currently, all players with NTCs/NMCs can provide a list of three teams they may accept a trade to, at random, after 1 year has passed after signing their contracts. We are pleased to announce that for pending UFA’s, this will change. Players who are pending UFA’s and have NTC/NMCs, will provide a list of five teams now. The first three teams will be random, just like all players. The final two teams will be chosen by Monty and Nail and will be chosen off of factors such as player fit, and desire to win. We hope that the addition of two extra teams on the trade list will provide teams with a bit more leverage to trade their pending UFAs who they may not plan on re-signing following the conclusion of the season. This change will be effective immediately, meaning on July 1st, teams will be able to designate which players they’d like to receive a 5 team list for, should they be a pending UFA.

We hope these changes will help enhance your experience in CDCFL!

5 hours ago, gmen81 said:

As the team that finished last I just wanted to chime in here.

I first want to say that I never have tanked and i am against tanking if it is obvious. It may seem with the way my roster looks that I am tanking. I was going after alot of the big name FA last off-season and was able to land a couple players. I never expected Jannik Hansen to be as bad as he was last year, now I am on the hook for that contract. Also Ryan Kesler doesn't seem that he will live up to the contract he has and now I am on the hook for that, Lundqvist had an up and down year and I have no backup. As I thought Pickard would actually be a decent backup, but for some reason he stayed in the AHL all year.

Now I know some GM's here put in a lot of effort in this league and are scouting players who could be signed as FA or might be steals in the mid-rounds of drafts. I for one do not put in that type of effort and with that will probably never win. I haven't even looked at players past the top 10 of this years draft. I will just look at a list somewhere on the internet and pick players based off that list when I pick in the later rounds. I may have gotten lucky with some of my picks last year, and hope to get lucky again with picks this year.

I know my team doesnt look good and I will probably be one of the worst teams again next year, but I will be active and doing what I can to dress a full roster and do what I can to help my team for the future and for now I do not want to lose my position as GM of the Ducks.

Hey g,

I am sorry you felt you needed to play that ..for the record I think your fine and my idea has nothing to do with you or even just this league ..it was just a thought I had that I wanted to explore. Hope we are good. It's just a coincidence that it is you sitting there this year. Sorry to make you uncomfortable and I am dropping it now that I have floated the idea 

To PIT - Reto Berra

To LAK - PIT 2014 2nd Round Pick

To PIT - Marcus Johansson, Morgan Rielly, Drew Leblanc

To TBL - Patrick Sharp, John Erskine

To PIT - P.A. Parenteau, FLA 2014 4th Round Pick

To CGY - Colton Sissons, Anthony Duclair, Dana Tyrell, Tobias Rieder, PIT 2014 3rd Round Pick

To OTT - Jonas Hiller

To PIT - James Reimer, Justin Faulk, Dylan Demelo, Taylor Beck, Marek Tvrdon, OTT 2014 1st Round Pick, OTT 2014 3rd Round Pick, OTT 2014 4th Round Pick, OTT 2014 5th Round Pick, OTT 2015 1st Round Pick, OTT 2015 2nd Round Pick, OTT 2015 3rd Round Pick, OTT 2015 4th Round Pick, OTT 2015 5th Round Pick

Man, Pittsburgh GM was like the king of big loss followed by an even bigger win. The 2nd and 4th trades are just :o:o

To WSH - Kerby Rychel, Jarrod Tinordi, STL 2014 2nd Round Pick

To WPG - Markus Granlund, Teuvo Teravainen

To PHI - Filip Forsberg

To CGY - Jarome Iginla, Kevan Miller

To ANA - Scott Hartnell, Alex Burrows (8% retained by Boston for 2014-15 season), Matt Frattin, Zane Gothberg

To BOS - Loui Eriksson, ANA 2014 5th Round Pick

To WPG - Nikita Kucherov, ANA 2015 2nd Round Pick, ANA 2015 3rd Round Pick

To CAR - Stephen Weiss

To TBL - Shayne Gostisbehere

To BOS - Hampus Lindholm, Marc Arcobello

To CHI - Eric Gelinas, Mike Halmo

Sorry I just had to post these ones too. Apologies if some of you guys were GM's at the time and on the wrong side of these trades, but holy $&!#. Granlund and Teravainen for basically nothing. Forsberg for an oldie and an unproven Kevan Miller. Kucherov, Ghost, and Lindholm all basically for free. Just wow. I guess some of these GM's would've gotten a decent year or two out of guys like Iginla, Hartnell, Burrows, and Eriksson but still lol. 

58 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Hey g,

I am sorry you felt you needed to play that ..for the record I think your fine and my idea has nothing to do with you or even just this league ..it was just a thought I had that I wanted to explore. Hope we are good. It's just a coincidence that it is you sitting there this year. Sorry to make you uncomfortable and I am dropping it now that I have floated the idea 

No I get where you are coming from and I know you weren't making a direct point about me. Just wanted to give my thoughts as the current holder of the 31st place trophy 

9 hours ago, Monty said:

I agree that blatant tanking should be addressed (ie: not dressing a full lineup, not calling up legitimate rookies from your farm that are producing at a worthwhile clip). However, that is something that Nail and I have been monitoring and have discussed over the last 2 seasons; each season a little closer than the other.

I really like this post. The whole post even though I quoted the start.

I also voted against the 12/6/1 legit nhl'er on your roster quota. A asset poor team, and that is often what new gm's inherit, who spends its assets just to put together a team is doing itself a disservice. I am going to comment on it.

On my GML team we were last this year. But 2 years before we had no assets and did just that. The year after we bought up some middling and aging vets. Like Siedenberg and Gionta, Moulson. They had surprising years and we made the playoffs.  This year they fell off the map & so did we as I mentioned... And the assets, just a couple of mid picks, still really would have helped our rebuild. So we resisted the temptation this year to buy up any more false success.   

And we sold hard, further reducing our result. But finally putting some hope in our prospect base. As rebuilding teams do! No reason to penalize for it!

But my point, we also never flushed our team of viable bodies. Even though we traded players for futures. 22 of our 23 roster players on our last place team played multiple NHL games after the deadline. We picked up a backup goalie on waivers, a hole all year, and a forward. In that & the year before, we picked up bad contracts (PO will know, Kulemin was one from him) without charging  draft pick or a fee. We had cap space & felt the responsibility to field a legit line up. I have taken a fee here in cfdfl, but when it was advertised.  We did not bleed our team to 14 or 15 nhl players playing games to tank which happens in some of our leagues?

I do not like the exact 12/6/1 quota. But believe a players playing quota is an important idea. 19 of 23 players who have played a game in the last 3 weeks or month might be a little bit more relaxed quota? Or similar... Fielding 6 D when you have injuries might be a challenge for example. But if you have 14 forwards playing you might not be in contempt. Or force you to trade assets you cannot afford for a short term hole.  In another league, I was contacted by a GM with just 14 active players and $18 mill in cap. A guy on his main roster who had not played in a year. Wanted a pick, or some of my best young players to take a contract. And he did not want any mediocre players! Even if I gave them to him. Such as me taking on Kulemin with 2 years left. He was going to weaponize his cap space, a concept on its own which is fine, but given way too much weight if there is no obligation to fill out a legitimate team.

The market stagnates on anything but young high upside, or playoff potential. 

In summary, a minimum player quota of some kind would be great on next years survey!

And I applaud the processes refining rules, thanks!

Archived