The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2017-18 (Contact Nail if interested)

Nail

1 minute ago, Monty said:

D3C48A68-74DE-4EE0-9FCB-876721BC4690.jpeg

The Las Vegas Golden Knights have signed Alex Steen to a 3 year contract, worth $14.25M ($4.75M AAV).

@Nail

Thanks @Monty.

Pleasantly surprised to see a player the quality of Steen still on the market in September. After recent reports in which Henrik Zetterberg may have to retire due to back problems, we found ourselves short a top 6 forward with more capspace to play with. Alex is the perfect player to use Hank's roster spot and some cap on, both are savvy Swede's, and both will help rookie Rasmus Dahlin's transition into the NHL B)  

On 2018-09-02 at 1:02 PM, Monty said:

6B55A2A0-207F-44BC-B306-F68B555B1079.jpeg

The Tampa Bay Lightning have extended goaltender Connor Hellebuyck to an 8 year deal, worth $55M ($6.875M AAV).

@Tylez

@Nail

Very pleased to get Connor locked up long term. We feel that he can be one of the top goalies in the league. He will hopefully be the back bone to lead us on our runs to our quest for that cup

tyler-seguin.jpg?w=640

Los Angeles Kings have had some trade discussions lately, and Tyler Seguin's name has come up. We are definitely open to re-signing him, but we used our early UFA negotiation on Doughty, so it's sort of up in the air until the new year.

Given that, and our cap situation, we are willing to consider offers on Seguin. Ideally, they would include a legitimate top-6 (preferably top-line) player coming back on a playoff team, who is younger and/or under a long-term contract.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Tigs said:

Great time of year. All the best sports start up Sept/Oct. 

Many / Most Canadians would not know; but AFL footy is one of the worlds great truly athletic and talent concentrated sports. 

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-04/mark-and-goal-of-the-week-nominees-2017

See the source image
Sorry mate!

It does not start now, but this week is the start of finals (play off's).

But yes, bring on NHL training camp!

On 9/3/2018 at 10:31 PM, Drouin said:

REPORT: Flyers management has decided to take a different approach and have made every player available. 

Looking for picks/prospects... inquire within

This includes players like Filip Forsberg, Jaden Schwartz, Tuukka Rask (clause), Tyler Johnson... willing to retain 50% for the right deal.

On 2018-08-30 at 12:51 PM, Monty said:

Interview 3 was done on Tuesday and, from what I’ve been led to believe, interview 4 should happen in the next week or two. Head office is in Ontario, so person I’m meeting with has to fly out to specifically meet with me. 

After that, should I pass, then it’s flying out to Ontario to meet everyone and sign all the papers. Could be 3 weeks, could be 6 weeks. Might not happen at all. 

UPDATE:

Interview 4 scheduled for next week Wednesday afternoon. Looking good so far. Just have to nail that meeting. Trying not to get too excited. Hard not to get hopes up after 3 successful rounds, especially when my current company has taken such a nosedive over the last 8 months. Would be pretty disappointing to go through all of this, not get it, and then have to continue on in my current situation.

Quick update to the sheets... There is no more "Yes" or "No" under the waiver column. It is now called the Status column and players who can be sent down to the minors without waivers will now be recognized with a green arrow. Won't let me post the link on CDC so take a look at the capsheets for more info!

On 2018-09-05 at 2:48 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Many / Most Canadians would not know; but AFL footy is one of the worlds great truly athletic and talent concentrated sports. 

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-04/mark-and-goal-of-the-week-nominees-2017

See the source image
Sorry mate!

It does not start now, but this week is the start of finals (play off's).

But yes, bring on NHL training camp!

I didn't play Aussie Rules but I played rugby even before i played football....my first game was in junior high and i opened it off with tracking down the guy who was trying to receive an opening high up but only 20 yards forward kick from our side.....he was stretched way up high fully exposed so i put my best "this is how they do it on TV" tackle into him...drove my shoulder into his guts and nailed him to the paddock only my head was beside his torso and clearly sticking out deeper than his arse.....skinny fast guy.....and i am 100% sure in hindsight i drove my own head strait into the turf and concussed myself....but he left the game at the 5 second mark hahaha...it hurt him so bad that I felt bad but I was also rocked to my core and didn't want to let on how bad it was....so i kept playing until I broke my arm in a tight scrum when the whole scrum collapsed to my side and landed on my upright forearm....good times....haha...earned a lot of street cred as the new kid in a new district. 

Hah, also recalled just now that when i broke the arm i asked the coach to tape up real good and put me back in...the jerk did! a whole roll of tape on my wrist and up to the elbow and i finished the game before going for xrays and getting a cast....set the tone though, haha. Man i was an idiot. Or as they say in the outback..."Crickey, his bawls are bigger than his brain eh?"

5 hours ago, Monty said:

UPDATE:

Interview 4 scheduled for next week Wednesday afternoon. Looking good so far. Just have to nail that meeting. Trying not to get too excited. Hard not to get hopes up after 3 successful rounds, especially when my current company has taken such a nosedive over the last 8 months. Would be pretty disappointing to go through all of this, not get it, and then have to continue on in my current situation.

sweet, the worst i had was a third interview before being let down and the guy who got the job was a friend of mine with a degree where i didn't have one...he was let go for being a prick about the 29th day on the job...three days shy of getting his union card if i recall rightly. 

3 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

I didn't play Aussie Rules but I played rugby even before i played football....my first game was in junior high and i opened it off with tracking down the guy who was trying to receive an opening high up but only 20 yards forward kick from our side.....he was stretched way up high fully exposed so i put my best "this is how they do it on TV" tackle into him...drove my shoulder into his guts and nailed him to the paddock only my head was beside his torso and clearly sticking out deeper than his arse.....skinny fast guy.....and i am 100% sure in hindsight i drove my own head strait into the turf and concussed myself....but he left the game at the 5 second mark hahaha...it hurt him so bad that I felt bad but I was also rocked to my core and didn't want to let on how bad it was....so i kept playing until I broke my arm in a tight scrum when the whole scrum collapsed to my side and landed on my upright forearm....good times....haha...earned a lot of street cred as the new kid in a new district. 

Hah, also recalled just now that when i broke the arm i asked the coach to tape up real good and put me back in...the jerk did! a whole roll of tape on my wrist and up to the elbow and i finished the game before going for xrays and getting a cast....set the tone though, haha. Man i was an idiot. Or as they say in the outback..."Crickey, his bawls are bigger than his brain eh?"

Rugby is a more physical game. Impressively so. In pure physicality it is a GREAT sport. Guys are very tough! And they run more than NFL lineman.  

But does not hold up to some of the truly athletic aerobic sports.  AFL fields are more than twice the size of NFL ones. And everyone runs virtually all game, every game at a high intensity. Not the start and stop high intensity of NFL or mid pace of rugby.  A large % of players have to scrum, make plays under duress, leap, pass, kick & handle the ball a great deal more than American football.  There was a code jumping rugby player, one of the worlds great athletes playing Rugby?  Karmichael Hunt lost 25 lbs to play AFL, Lost another 15 lbs in 4 years playing. But he could not cover the km's and keep up the explosive athleticism he could exhibit in rugby. He left to play pro rugby in France and New Zealand. A mainstay on the Wallabies, Australia's national tea, And he had some of rugby's best foot speed, endurance and agility.

So speaking of physical?

We picked up a spare 3rd round pick this summer. Can't for the life of me remember where???  And selected a hulking but speedy 6'3'' 209 lb defensive centre, Krystof Hrabik. He scored 4 points in 5 games at the Hlinka tourney 2 years ago is where we first spotted him. And he played on the Czech U20 WJC's and some Czech pro games in the extraliga this past year, his draft year. It looked like a rough pick when he went undrafted. 

But he's been picked up for his 19 year old draft + 1 season in Tri City by the Americans.  And they're pretty bullish on him. It appears he'll back up Michael Rasmussen & anchor their 2knd line?  Maybe better if Rasmussen gets any call ups to Detroit (not sure about that...)?  He potted an assist a minute into his first pre season game.

I don't imagine anyone heads that far down to watch WHL games. But I'll be keen to hear from anyone who catches a game up in BC or Calgary? 

Archived