The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How I ended up in a West Seattle "hood" in search of a washroom

VanGnome

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Yeah, I was not confident in my prospects of not being stabbed and/or shot. In the 3 trips between my vehicle and stores, I had no fewer than half a dozen people in total eyeing me up. It really did not help the fact I was in an obviously minority populated neighbourhood, 6'2", white male, shaved head, giant goatee, baggy jeans and black hoodie driving a brand new Jeep, wearing douchebag sunglasses.

It was not until I got home and did some research that I found out just how sketchy that neighbourhood was, lol.

Glad you made it out alive. I had a similar situation in Paterson, New Jersey back in 2004.  Except for one major distinction -- I was (and still am) a short stubby fella with a full head of hair (still have the hair...knock on wood) driving a sensible Toyota Avalon company car (at the time) wearing a sporty set of Serengetis (when they used to be stylish).

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Preface: Ingested some bad American fast food enroute to drop my wife and kid off at SeaTac airport which eventually led to rather severe gastrointestinal discomfort.

What fast food place did you got to? I go down to the States quite often, and to be honest, the only reason I'm excited to go down to Seattle/Bellingham is cause I know for a fact that I'm going to go to Olive Garden. Love that place. To bad it's only in Langley here :(.

Just now, J-23 said:

What fast food place did you got to? I go down to the States quite often, and to be honest, the only reason I'm excited to go down to Seattle/Bellingham is cause I know for a fact that I'm going to go to Olive Garden. Love that place. To bad it's only in Langley here :(.

Yeah we didn't have the luxury of time to stop at a restaurant, Sonic it was :sick:

29 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Yeah we didn't have the luxury of time to stop at a restaurant, Sonic it was :sick:

Sonic eh..

Like Seattle Supersonics. What's that sound called again, like when a jet goes supersonic?... Hahahhah

Guess you had a case of the Sonic Booms!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself, was just too easy

38 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Sonic eh..

Like Seattle Supersonics. What's that sound called again, like when a jet goes supersonic?... Hahahhah

Guess you had a case of the Sonic Booms!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself, was just too easy

The Guile on this guy is incredible...

A couple of years ago at Newport beach in California with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and two unbelievably wonderful granddaughters. I had an incredible, unstoppable need for a #2, so I left them and walked along to the "facilities" which consisted of a row of unbelievably disgustingly unclean potties with no doors. I was bloody horrified, but need overcame pride and I thought f^^^ it, I just got to do it. So do it I did, and I'm sure I'll never see any of my audience again, and if I do, WTF!— to paraphrase Mr. Wayne, "Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

I managed to pull myself together (thanks to the adrenaline) while he was hitting me with a broom. Not like nice mom smacks either. Ninja force broom beating.

Anyways, he stops whipping me and goes back inside (for what I assumed was a sword at the time, as I'm tripping balls) so I ran faster than Ben Johnson on steroids.

Man, the panic of getting a surprise beat down, while you're desperatly ill, shroomed out in a random dark alley in Laos... Isn't half as scary as American slums.

Good thing VanGnome found a can.

yah but think of it from that poor dudes perspective, you're having a nice bowl of larb and some Canadian dude high on shrooms starts pooping on your doorstep, thats gotta be an eye opener. 

12 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Lol, no I eventually found a 76 gas station that had a working washroom. I just didn't realize that I had inadvertently wandered into one of the worst neighborhoods in all of Seattle.

Don't know how bad the worst hood in Seattle is but if you're ever going through St.Louis do not get off the interstate in East ST. Louis even if it means crapping yourself.

There are some rather sketchy areas of Seattle right near some of its bigger tourist spots.  Some blocks up from Pike Place Market there used to be a ton of street drug dealing activity.  It must have been 08 or so and we were down there for a show and a buddy's girl just had to see the fish being thrown..so we all went. We decided to walk and look for a pub for some food & beer and then cab to the show.  Well about 6-7 blocks away some black dude comes up to us and says 'wtf are you doing here? This place ain't safe for y'all.'  

So he points down the street and the corners were full of drug crews.  He walked us like 5 blocks and we saw a bar and bought him a drink as thanks. Nice guy.  He also sold my friend some product...  

I've been in some sketchy places in many countries but that was just an odd experience. A few of the corners looked like it was straight out of The Wire..but nicer buildings/houses. 

This is a few years old but check this: 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/downtown-crime-shocks-new-yorker/  

Archived