The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

What completes the 99.5% into 100%?  Dahlin?  Top 7 pick? Tavares? Carlson?

:) The suspense is killing me lol. This countdown continues haha

Kinda' interesting R17..1st coupla pages of this thread back in Oct, 2017, received some rude/arrogant replies. Those termites mostly scurried back deep into the woodwork.

I feel the 5 or 6 main discussion points I stated stand up pretty well, with today's hindsight.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Fans were the ones bitching about the country club atmosphere.  So ownership brings in torts.  Torts wanted Canucks to clean house and didn't get his own way so he sabatoged his own job instead of doing his best to coach with what he had. 

Think fans had anything to do with Jim Benning extension ? 

• Cheers 1

Hilarious how we're trying to justify this management debacle as a clever stealthy rebuild.

They tried for three years to get into the playoffs and failed spectacularly. That's all that happened. Getting a few players who's names you remember is a byproduct of picking earlier in the draft due to these failures, not some kind of direct strategy. Thinking we'll contend with these names in the lineup is not a given because the same management will employ the same pro scouting to find players to flesh out the team. 

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Thanks 2
  • Wat 4

2007~2012: What ****ing seeds were planted?! ANYTHING? Sure we were winning then. Doesn't mean you send yer scouts to Antarctica. What the **** did they do???

2014 -> moving fwds:  Jake, Demko, Tryamkin, Boeser, Gaudette, Brisebois, Jasek, Juolevi, Lockwood, Petterson, Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro, Brassard, Rathbone...

Yet mosey on over to HFBoards to hear how they demonize & vilify Benning. Yeah right..those guys MUST be realll fans, eh?

• Cheers 1

On ‎2017‎年‎10‎月‎4‎日 at 2:25 AM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No, our rebuild started a couple weeks before the 2017 trade-deadline.  That was the day that ownership finally threw in the towel (almost 5 years too late) and gave the GM permission to blow everything up.  Before that day, we were trying to win.

So, that tells you how god-awful our ownership/management is!  It took them almost 5 years to see what everyone else saw immediately.  They ran our team into the ground by ignoring reality for so long.  They could have turned everything around in a season or two (by starting when we had a good team).  Instead, they waited far too long and it's now going to take 10 years to fix this mess (we are at the beginning of Year 5, so only perhaps 5 or 6 seasons to go).

And, it gets worse...

This off-season, they've clearly gone back to thinking they can win.  Or, should I say, realizing that tanking doesn't work.  We were the worst team in the entire league for long stretches of the last two seasons - and all we got for it was two 5th-overall picks (and chose the 10th best player each time).  So, they probably realized that being the worst team in the league for the next few seasons comes with a humongous risk (of not getting a top pick yet again).  So, we're back to trying to win.  Only now, we don't have the players to do it.  We are starting at the bottom.  And, it's a thousand times harder to accomplish from the starting-position we find ourselves in now.

We are in the middle of a lost-decade thanks to our ownership/management.  And, there's basically no way out of it.  We aren't going to be getting the kinds of picks that change a team's fortunes immediately.  Our only hope is getting extremely lucky.  And, when has this team ever gotten lucky?

Aren't you pleased it looks so MUCH better today? :^)

• Haha 1

The Stealth tank's mission is almost complete.  This off season will be wildly entertaining.  I want to temper expectations for the draft lottery.  I am finding it difficult when there is no Canucks content left in this season's cycle.

The lack of Canucks content and news is super weird and a tad depressing.  I think I obsess over this team to much then there is a big emotional drop off when the season is done.

I'm all in on the Stealth rebuild! Glad it's only 0.5% left! :). Go Canucks Go!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

They tried for three years to get into the playoffs and failed spectacularly. That's all that happened. 

Went from bottom ten to top ten prospect pool in only three short years (likely/near top 5 after this summer) and 'all we did was try and fail to make playoffs'....?

People actually still believe this nonsense? :lol:

• Cheers 2

Mentioned this yesterday in a status update: Our quality prospects are reaching a "critical mass" point:

We're accumulating a serious stockpile of quality youth. At a certain point, surely they start feeding off each other's skill, developing & growing more rapidly alongside each other(mostly in Utica, to a greater degree than prev yrs). They will also be raising the bar for their competitive peers(at same positions) to play for the big team.

This is where orgs like TBay, Pitt & Nashville have recently stood, where they can fully develop aspiring youth; holding them back until completely prepared.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 3:05 PM, TimberWolf said:

Hilarious how we're trying to justify this management debacle as a clever stealthy rebuild.

They tried for three years to get into the playoffs and failed spectacularly. That's all that happened. Getting a few players who's names you remember is a byproduct of picking earlier in the draft due to these failures, not some kind of direct strategy.  

Benning loyalists 2014:  If you bottom out you'll end up like Edmonton and suck forever, trading for NHL ready talent will keep us competitive and not ruin our prospects.

Benning loyalists 2018:  Good think we bottomed out and got those top picks.  Of course we're not competitive yet, some people have no patience.  

• Wat 4
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Canadian Rugby 2017 - the Canucks have no future top 6 forwards!  The Leafs are the next Blackhawks!   Gotta have/win lottery pickz to build a team #properly.

Canadian Rugby 2018 - still can't engage in hockey talk - in favour of tell-all, one-liner narratives between two, oversimplified, imaginary nominal camps.

Er, Boeser at 23 sure showed those 'Loyalists" the failure in not #properlyrebuliding! 

The Canucks have no future top 6 forwards. 

The rebuild doesn't begin until the teardown and tank are activated! 

Er, no lottery wins....the Canucks are still another half decade from having rebuilt!  When will the rebuild begin?

Er, Leipsic isn't a pick - and just more part of the failure -  of the improper method!  The rething won't start until we tank and stockplie the pickz!

Got any hockey talk Rugby?  It sure beats this loaded narrative nonsense.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, dura_mater said:

I think you're in for a big surprise if you think they'll be competing for a WC spot next year.  I think it entirely depends on if the Sedins re-sign. 

I'm expecting the Canucks to be a bottom 5 team for at least 1 if not 2 more years (of course that changes if we get Dahlin).  I'm okay with that though, the next 2 drafts are suppose to be very strong.

Well, they were not a bottom five team this year to be technical on you.   

• Haha 1