The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The Penguins were actively trying to trade Pouliot at that time.  What was the coach going to say:  Pouliot is fat and not fit?  I'm really hoping the guy is fat and not fit, because that would mean there is a really good chance he could become a great player, like he was in Junior.  Otherwise, he will likely bust.  (IMHAO, of course.)

I hadn't heard any news of the Penguins actively trying to trade Pouliot.  Anyways....why bother bringing up his fitness level at all? It's best not to focus on something that could be his weakness.

If his fitness is in question, then yes, he will get the Virt slap from Green and that might be a slow but an easy fix.

If not, I still think there's a good chance that he can turn things around. 

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is how I picture many of the more whiny posters - if that is a Surrey Girl though, I take back having any previous life interest in theoretical research - not that there is anything wrong with others who may wish to pursue such avenues.   I prided myself on being a goalie who was never beaten through the five-hole and that isn't ever going to change.

watch your "6"

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I hadn't heard any news of the Penguins actively trying to trade Pouliot.  Anyways....why bother bringing up his fitness level at all? It's best not to focus on something that could be his weakness.

If his fitness is in question, then yes, he will get the Virt slap from Green and that might be a slow but an easy fix.

From all accounts, it sounds as though his biggest issue is between his ears. Confidence is a huge part of playing well in any sport. Let's hope Green can get him back on track.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So, if it is a fitness issue then it can be fixed. That would be good news. If he is in fantastic shape then his troubles are bigger.

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So, if it is a fitness issue then it can be fixed. That would be good news. If he is in fantastic shape then his troubles are bigger.

Why must he have troubles?   Why can't a player simply not be a good fit in another organization?   Look at Edmonton, they struggled to find Dmen for years and finally get Schultz but he is a trainwreck for them and cut loose and Penguins have him playing top pairing minutes in the SCF and he looks more than decent.   

Why is it that every player who seemingly doesn't work somewhere else is automatically labeled as "troubled"?   He may well not be a fit with your team either but what about giving him a chance first?

I liked Pedan, but my hopes for him took a big hit when he got that major concussion. A tough guy who has had a major concussion strikes me as being a very risky asset. Pouliot seems like a much more valuable asset due to his significantly higher potential. And of course the fourth round pick, despite the shrill claims of the JB haters, has very little value. I like the trade.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

I realize those grump goggles you never take off prevent you from seeing anything positive, so I'll spell some things out for you.

But first of all, dumping a former 8th overall for a 4th round pick and an AHL contract - you've just referred to as 'great asset management' herpherp.  I'm sure you'd parrot that sentiment if the Canucks deal one of their top 10 picks for a guy that clears waivers and a 4th round pick;).

I realize you're oblivious to this, but this was actually great asset management by Benning.

Let's assume - as you obviously do - that Pedan is an NHL defenseman (despite not one team paying the price of claiming him and waiving an alternative asset).

Benning passed him through waivers - and then cashes in on the fact that he'd cleared - and is available to be recalled (free of waivers).  We've seen this numerous times in recent years - some players have had more value as a cleared waiver asset than as a free asset on waivers that requires a roster spot.   Some teams value an additional AHL depth body of their choice over the freebie waiver wire - and in this case, that may have been the case with Pedan.  However there is another possiblity - that Pittsburgh wasn't really interested in Pedan and that the Canucks wanted a roster spot going the other way in this deal.  I believe the former is probably the case, but no way of knowing.

See, what you fail to deal with is the fact that Pittsburgh did not claim Pedan - which they could have for nothing and turned around and waived Rhuwedel.  But they didn't.  They let him pass - then took the AHL asset and dealt Pouliot essentialy for a 4th alone - as they passed on the (in your mind NHL) asset they could have claimed - and no one did.

People who believe the Canucks could simply have claimed Pouliot on waivers and kept Pedan are missing two obvious points - first, that he would have made it that far on waivers without being claimed by Colorado for example, and two, that they would waive a highly talented 8th overall pick as opposed to a 27 year old tweener that has never made an impact at the NHL level.

Folks could get real here if they cut the irrational moping for a second.  Rhuwedel is a 27 year old with 12 career NHL points - has yet to play the equivalent of an NHL season combined through his entire career - and could not crack one of the worst bluelines in recent NHL history - that of the Buffalo Sabres of 2012 to 2016.

The Canucks identified a premier opportunity here.  The Penguins were between a rock and a hard place on Pouliot - they have Letang, Schultz and no real role/place for the young pmd - and they had literally little choice but to cut their losses - referred to you as "great asset management!'

Pittsburgh clearly did not want to waive and lose Pouliot for nothing.- but they also did not have a role/opening for his skillset. 

'Great asset management' would have been to move Pouliot before now - after they re-signed Schultz on July 1st at the latest - but instead they're left with no leverage in October - and Benning took advantage.  You can slice that however you want, but your attempt to spin this as great asset management on behalf of Pittsburgh is utterly absurd even if in keeping with your predictable Mr Sunshine cookie cutter perspective that poopoos everything that Benning does.

giphy.gif

Just now, Stamkos said:

I dont understand why the pens just didn't claim him off waivers? They must've wanted to get rid of Pouliot

If they claim him off waivers he would have to be on their NHL roster, if they want to assign Pedan onto their minor league, the Canucks gets first dibs in claiming him back and the Canucks would the team that is free to send him to play in Utica after they reclaim him. Now Pedan passes waivers and they traded for him, they can send Pedan to their AHL affiliate and call him up whenever they want.

Just now, Stamkos said:

I dont understand why the pens just didn't claim him off waivers? They must've wanted to get rid of Pouliot

That's not have waivers work.   If you claim someone, you need to create space which means your own waiver which can get complicated.   Further, your commitment to the contract can vary depending on terms in the contract.  Trading is cleaner and more predictable as you don't sit there worrying about what 30ish other GMs are thinking.  It is very common to see a player traded after being waived.    

Just now, ruilin96 said:

If they claim him off waivers he would have to be on their NHL roster, if they want to assign Pedan onto their minor league, the Canucks gets first dibs in claiming him back and the Canucks would the team that is free to send him to play in Utica after they reclaim him. Now Pedan passes waivers and they traded for him, they can send Pedan to their AHL affiliate and call him up whenever they want.

Thanks for the clarification! I just assumed that the pens wanted him to be on their roster

Archived