The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

Servant - Episode 6

This show is doing a great job keeping the mystery up, with a decent amount of suspense. Also, the acting has been top notch. While he pops in once every little bit, Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies) steals every scene he's in. I remember my wife and I saying sometime around 2007(ish) that he was easily the most talented of those 3 actors in the Harry Potter movies (Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson), but likely wasn't going to get the same chances furthering his career as they were. Glad to see that's he's been able to string together some good roles over the last few years. Carving out a good living being a supporting actor. Guy is really good in this series.

Anyway, episode 6 was really good. Adding in a new character, who's genuinely off putting and creepy.

• Upvote 1

Rise of Skywalker

Can't stand the new movies, and was expecting more of the same garbage re-hashed slap a new coat of paint and call it new movie again but didn't mind it.  Actually kind of enjoyed parts where I can't think the same from any of the last two.  Yeah, it's still a hot mess but at least I was entertained through some of it.

• Cheers 1

On 12/22/2019 at 11:33 PM, Kragar said:

On Netflix, there are a couple of documentary series... The Toys that Made Us, and The Movies That Made Us.  Between the two series, we have seen 3 episodes so far, and will watch more.

Pretty cool, with all the 60s thru 80s pop culture to reminisce with.

Basically a look into how they came to be, all the stumbling blocks along the way, and interesting interviews with some of the major people involved.

For the movies, they cover Dirty Dancing, Ghostbusters, Home Alone, and Die Hard.  The Toys one has more episodes, including Star Wars, Star Trek, Barbie, Lego, GI Joe.

Enjoy!

I really hope they continue with the movies that made us.  

30 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I really hope they continue with the movies that made us.  

Yeah, only saw the Ghostbusters episode so far, but it was very interesting get learn about how they ended up where they did.

So many movies to choose from...c'mon, get Ferris done already!

44 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Rise of Skywalker

Can't stand the new movies, and was expecting more of the same garbage re-hashed slap a new coat of paint and call it new movie again but didn't mind it.  Actually kind of enjoyed parts where I can't think the same from any of the last two.  Yeah, it's still a hot mess but at least I was entertained through some of it.

Just watched the other night with my son. This about sums it up.

it was better than I expected and I was entertained.

actually liked it the most of the last two by far especially visually.  The “vision” scenes between klr and Rey were cool in this regard.

• Cheers 1

While there a few tv shows this year I could say had the best season or best new show (ie: You being a close runner up), I think the best show and best new show has to be I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson.

The general consensus is that Saturday Night Live has been trash for a good 8 years, now. In part, it’s the awful cast, but then this show comes to Netflix, and you see an ex-SNL cast member absolutely nail it. And in this case, Tim Robinson apparently used quite a number of his SNL sketch ideas that were turned down. Perhaps it’s because there’s no censor on this, but some of these sketches are pretty clean, and absolutely kill.

My favourite sketch has to be the commercial about the elderly with back pain, that keeps cutting back to Tim Robinson’s character with the absolutely bizarre things he can now do because of his fixed back, ending with him confronting a scam artist who says he can sing a hit song if he just finds the right song. I can’t find the clip online, but it’s episode 3 or 4. So good.

Runner up is the intervention skit, where co-workers hold the intervention at a woman’s house she insists is “the party house”, but she only wanted to hold it there because she said she bought the house from Jim David, the creator of Garfield, and the theme is entirely Garfield related.

But the entire series is terrific. Busted a gut at every episode.

Best TV Show from 2010-2019

*Had to debut in 2010 or afterwards (sorry Breaking Bad)*

The Americans 

To me, this show is hugely underrated. Was the only one that never had a bad episode or a bad season. Love it.

Honourable Mention:

The Leftovers

The 2010s was really about showing the TV was as good, if not better, than anything you could watch in theaters. 

No Order:

Veep

Silicon Valley

The Americans

Atlanta

The Good Place

Breaking Bad

Community

Mad Men

Newsroom

Succession

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Fargo

Killing Eve

Mind Hunter

Big Little Lies

Peeky Blinders

I guess I have to list GoT

Sherlock

True Detective

Succession

Barry

Better Call Saul

• 2 weeks later...

Servant - Episode 9

The penultimate episode for season 1. This was the first episode this season I couldn't watch the majority of. I watched the first 10 minutes, skipped through a good portion, and then watched the last 8(ish) minutes, because this is the episode that shows how their baby died. It's not gruesome/gory, or anything like that. But it's sad, incredibly, incredibly sad. And you can see the how it's going to happen ahead of time, so it doesn't take much of an imagination to know what happens, which actually makes it worse, in a way. And because I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old, this was a little too early for me to watch. Also, because of unresolved trauma in my life, I have difficulty even being around discussion of things that relate to things like this. So I remove myself pretty quickly. Perhaps the episode is really great. In fact, the bit I did see, especially the last two scenes, are really superb.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, Monty said:

Servant - Episode 9

The penultimate episode for season 1. This was the first episode this season I couldn't watch the majority of. I watched the first 10 minutes, skipped through a good portion, and then watched the last 8(ish) minutes, because this is the episode that shows how their baby died. It's not gruesome/gory, or anything like that. But it's sad, incredibly, incredibly sad. And you can see the how it's going to happen ahead of time, so it doesn't take much of an imagination to know what happens, which actually makes it worse, in a way. And because I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old, this was a little too early for me to watch. Also, because of unresolved trauma in my life, I have difficulty even being around discussion of things that relate to things like this. So I remove myself pretty quickly. Perhaps the episode is really great. In fact, the bit I did see, especially the last two scenes, are really superb.

I watched the whole thing. Its pretty awful despite not depicting (for very obvious reasons) anything that actually happened to the baby. You know what happened, and unfortunately, your brain is fully able to fill in the blanks as much as you don't want it to. 

I've put in a spoiler, it has nothing to do with the details of the baby's death, but might be something you missed that could be important to the finale:

Leanne really treats Dorothy poorly after finding out what happened. Even though Sean sticks up for Dorothy, takes blame for being away while it happened, it doesn't change how Leanne perceives Dorothy. It includes Leanne purposefully giving Dorothy food poisoning, trying to sabotage her career, etc. Could be setting things up for a kidnapping or Leanne poisoning Dorothy's food with a more sever outcome

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I watched the whole thing. Its pretty awful despite not depicting (for very obvious reasons) anything that actually happened to the baby. You know what happened, and unfortunately, your brain is fully able to fill in the blanks as much as you don't want it to. 

I've put in a spoiler, it has nothing to do with the details of the baby's death, but might be something you missed that could be important to the finale:

Reveal hidden contents

I watched enough to see what you put in spoilers. Thanks, though. Interested to see how the series manages to keep the show “fresh” for numerous seasons. There’s also still no explanation as to why Sean lost his sense of taste (although we can only assume it’s Leanne related). But considering that she’s warming up to him, and vice versa, you’d think he’d “miraculously“ get it back.

I find that Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) is easily the strongest character in the show.