The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Yeah, it was a great episode (best of the bunch).

1DBFB9C6-15D7-485F-9EE6-5AD31718ADB1.gif

@Shift-4

I wasn’t quite sure how I’d feel about meta jokes in the series, as they didn’t shy away a number of times at poking fun at Stormtroopers and how they couldn’t hit anything, specifically in the last episode as to an explanation as to why. However, I was surprised how much they all hit. 

Star Wars needs humour in hit, but like all humour, lazy and forced humour (your mama joke in The Force Awakens, fart/poop jokes in the prequels, etc) are all just lazy and sad. And on the opposite end, having a completely dire and serious tone in Rogue One is just such a downer. May as watch a war film, like Dunkirk. This is also why I feel that Solo: A Star Wars Story, actually worked the best out of all the modern Star Wars movies. There was no expectation on how it was supposed to go and the story it needed to tell, so it was free to be snarky and tongue and cheek.

And this is why, overall, The Mandalorian works. It knows not to take itself too seriously, but it also isn’t limited in having to tell the Skywalker story.

@Monty

Spoilers!  lol

I actually really liked Rogue One. It ended on a downer but a good downer!

Solo was never going to meet my expectations but it was still fun. And yes it better be snarky - it's Han Solo!

So far, I like the simpleness of The Mandalorian.  Just straighforward action with basic story telling.

29 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

So far, I like the simpleness of The Mandalorian.  Just straighforward action with basic story telling.

The other thing is that Boba Fett or, in this case The Mandalorian, was envisioned by George Lucas to be a cowboy in space (see: Clint Eastwood in the Man with No Name series). Show, don’t tell, which is precisely why the basic storytelling works. Keep it simple. 

The Bachelor.  I give it a 9 this week.  The ladies are getting upset.  I don’t get it.  He’s a good looking fella.  He’s not my type, but I would see him as good looking.  Those ladies, they need to stop being upset.  Like why cares who he is into and who gets more time with him.  Gosh, they get to go on trips and drink champagne! Anyhow, this show will be on again this Wednesday!  

On 2/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Monty said:

The other thing is that Boba Fett or, in this case The Mandalorian, was envisioned by George Lucas to be a cowboy in space (see: Clint Eastwood in the Man with No Name series). Show, don’t tell, which is precisely why the basic storytelling works. Keep it simple. 

Finished the series last night.

Felt the climax for the final episode was a little too quick. Also, thought only 8 episodes was a little too quick. I suspect the producers didn't want to committ to much more than that after dismal movies.

Overall I would say I am satisfied. Not blown away, definitely not disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Finished the series last night.

Felt the climax for the final episode was a little too quick. Also, thought only 8 episodes was a little too quick. I suspect the producers didn't want to committ to much more than that after dismal movies.

Overall I would say I am satisfied. Not blown away, definitely not disappointed.

Overall, I felt pretty similar. Certainly not great, but it was exactly what Star Wars needed. A change in story that was safe and simple.

For the longest time, the thought on Star Wars has morphed into a universe/world that was too limited. They relied so heavily on lightsabers, the force, etc (nostalgia), that they didn’t want stray away from the tried and true method of what brought people to it. However, in doing so, people predictably got bored with the “same old same old”. The Mandalorian, while having a few episodes that fell flat on its face (due to nostalgia I feel), worked in what it set out to do.

Also, having the 8 episodes works, especially because it ended up working. People want more, and stringing your viewers along with the “less is more” model, both in episodes and storytelling, is smart. Again, not everything worked, and there were a few choices I think were either unnecessary or, in one specific instance in the last episode, was a really poorly timed reveal, but it was still better than any of the sequel trilogy movies.

8 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

what reveal are you referring to?

Showing The Mandalorian’s face. It wasn’t needed at all, especially this early in the series. I’m all about “Does this scene/moment in a show or movie add anything to the story or the character?” Showing his face didn’t add anything to the viewer. In fact, it completely takes away from the climax of having that being revealed to the viewer in a far more emotional/meaningful situation. He talked the entire series that he never reveals his face to a person or living being. The first time he reveals it would have been far more moving had it been done say, in season 3-4, and to a dying character that we, the audience, had grown attached to since the beginning of the series. Revealing it to us at the same time as the robot sees him, is anti-climatic and overall a poorly done reveal, as it places the viewer in the “eyes” of the robot, and essentially not as meaningful, as they (the show runners) treat the audience as the same as the robot, a “thing” with no feelings, as opposed to a “living being”.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Monty said:
  Hide contents

Showing The Mandalorian’s face. It wasn’t needed at all, especially this early in the series. I’m all about “Does this scene/moment in a show or movie add anything to the story or the character?” Showing his face didn’t add anything to the viewer. In fact, it completely takes away from the climax of having that being revealed to the viewer in a far more emotional/meaningful situation. He talked the entire series that he never reveals his face to a person or living being. The first time he reveals it would have been far more moving had it been done say, in season 3-4, and to a dying character that we, the audience, had grown attached to since the beginning of the series. Revealing it to us at the same time as the robot sees him, is anti-climatic and overall a poorly done reveal, as it places the viewer in the “eyes” of the robot, and essentially not as meaningful, as they (the show runners) treat the audience as the same as the robot, a “thing” with no feelings, as opposed to a “living being”.

Spoiler

But PP had to remind the world how pretty he is  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2020 at 4:31 AM, babych said:

Sorry if I missed it but anyone here watch/watched Kingdom on Netflix? I'm about to give it a go...

yes I did and I can't wait for season 2.  It's like the walking dead but mixed in with politcs but taken place in historical korea.  2 thumbs up. Must watch.

on topic I just watched what the health, please check it out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Has anyone watched S2 of True Detective? Is it worth watching? Can't tell if I didn't like it the first time around because it was bad, or because it just couldn't live up to the greatness of S1. 

I just started it.

Story lines are ok so far. But the casting is way off compared to first season. Vaughn just doesn't work, nor does Mcadams. Both are supposed to be gritty/tough but I'm just not buying it. And whenever Taylor Kitsch in in a cast everything seems to turn to muck. lol

Woody/Matthew combo worked extremely well in S1. Not sure that could easily be repeated.

• Like 1

Mythic Quest 

New Apple+ series by Rob McElhenney (creator and star of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). 

In this, Rob stars as creator of the world’s largest and most successful online MMO video game, with the show revolving around the team in the company that runs it. 3 episodes in, and I’m really digging it. Shows a ton of promise. 

Watched a recent interview with him where he said, “When I created Sunny, I wanted to create the ‘Anti-Friends’ show. In the theme song for Friends, they say ‘I’ll be there for you.’ Well, what if I created a show where these were friends who were never there for each other, no matter what happened? So, with Mythic Quest, I wanted to create a show where a successful company had the main people in the company also didn’t like each other and shouldn’t work together. So, you know, really stepping out of my wheelhouse here.” :lol: 

Favourite moment so far.

*first diversity meeting*

”So welcome to the first diversity meeting. Should we go around and say what we are?”

”Let’s not do that.”

:lol:

DD761D90-1FEF-4E98-A6D0-99DE7C04E20A.jpeg

^^^

And just an add, for those that find "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" to be too crude, which is 100% understandable, Mythic Quest is not even close to the same level. It's still not a children's show, obviously, as the humour is only that which adults will understand (with minimal swearing). The production budget on this is also about 100x that of ..Always Sunny.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, Monty said:

Mythic Quest 

New Apple+ series by Rob McElhenney (creator and star of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). 

In this, Rob stars as creator of the world’s largest and most successful online MMO video game, with the show revolving around the team in the company that runs it. 3 episodes in, and I’m really digging it. Shows a ton of promise. 

Watched a recent interview with him where he said, “When I created Sunny, I wanted to create the ‘Anti-Friends’ show. In the theme song for Friends, they say ‘I’ll be there for you.’ Well, what if I created a show where these were friends who were never there for each other, no matter what happened? So, with Mythic Quest, I wanted to create a show where a successful company had the main people in the company also didn’t like each other and shouldn’t work together. So, you know, really stepping out of my wheelhouse here.” :lol: 

Favourite moment so far.

*first diversity meeting*

”So welcome to the first diversity meeting. Should we go around and say what we are?”

”Let’s not do that.”

:lol:

DD761D90-1FEF-4E98-A6D0-99DE7C04E20A.jpeg

Finished watching Mythic Quest a few days ago. Wanted to give it a few days for my overall thoughts.

Well, I feel the same now as I did back on Monday night when I finished binging it. Love it. Can't wait for the next season. Rob McEhlenney plays a completely different character than he does on Sunny, and plays it effectively. The overall thought about the "Sunny Crew" was while Rob was by far the most talented as it pertained to creative and writing, he was probably the "weakest" of the crew (though, he's still really good in his role as Mac) in his overall acting range. This role really did show that he's quite good. While it's certainly not a role that stretches his acting chops a whole lot, it's definitely nice to see him succeed in another series.

All the characters in the show are also really good and have their scene stealing moments. In fact, the nice thing about it is, you never really know which character will end up stealing each scene, as they are all capable of doing so. It's easy to say that David Hornby (who plays David in the show), who is also on "It's Always Sunny" as Rickity Cricket, is probably the most consistent one in stealing each scene. He's essentially the pathetic one of management, that's easy to manipulate and walk over. Lovable, but sad. But again, they are all good.

I don't have Apple+, and it would still take a lot for me to get it. However, this show in itself would've been enough for me to add it to my evergrowing list of streaming services. Once we cancell Crave and Apple+ is available on PS4, I'll get it.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, Down by the River said:

Has anyone watched S2 of True Detective? Is it worth watching? Can't tell if I didn't like it the first time around because it was bad, or because it just couldn't live up to the greatness of S1. 

Finished it

completely unimpressed in the end

• Huggy Bear 1

On 2/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Down by the River said:

Just start watching the Outsider.  You won't regret it