The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vet Fwds In Lineup

Nuxfanabroad

Waiting for Daniel to hit 1K. Hope it's soon.

After that, if healthy, here's hoping that TG rotates the 5(or so) vets, sitting 1 each game.

Eriksson

Daniel

Gagner

Henrik

Vanek

Sit them down, & explain the fans want to see the youth. Unless one of them goes offensive-apesh*t, they each take turns taking a seat.

side suggestion: if any youth fall off the map, throw their name on the list.

Yea or nay?

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sounds kosher, Alfy. btw, does tough-love only work in contract yrs?

Seems to with certain players, doesn’t it?  I think that wouldn’t influence the play of guys like Bo and the Twins.  Some guys are just super hard working, and high compete.  But guys like Gagner and Vanek?  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t Gagner and Vanek already take rests, while playing?  B)

I agree though.  Sit two each game.  Make those guys compete with each other for playing.

i would add Burmistrov and Baer to the list too.

Why would the Canucks sit either of those two?

Eriksson is the only guy on that list I would even consider benching regularly. Sedins will never be healthy scratch so long as Henrik is the captain.

"The fans want to see youth?" Ok, go to Edmonton and watch them if you want to see what playing all youth looks like.

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Why would the Canucks sit either of those two?

Eriksson is the only guy on that list I would even consider benching regularly. Sedins will never be healthy scratch so long as Henrik is the captain.

"The fans want to see youth?" Ok, go to Edmonton and watch them if you want to see what playing all youth looks like.

In ‘93 the Habs sat Dennis Savard during their playoff run to the Cup.  

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waiting for Daniel to hit 1K. Hope it's soon.

After that, if healthy, here's hoping that TG rotates the 5(or so) vets, sitting 1 each game.

Eriksson

Daniel

Gagner

Henrik

Vanek

Sit them down, & explain the fans want to see the youth. Unless one of them goes offensive-apesh*t, they each take turns taking a seat.

side suggestion: if any youth fall off the map, throw their name on the list.

Yea or nay?

Yes, none of these vets stand out very much scoring wise. They're all interchangeable with each other. They're like an old squad mob. But each of them have a big upside we're waiting for. (and it's Nov now so...)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In ‘93 the Habs sat Dennis Savard during their playoff run to the Cup.  

I was more wondering why you would scratch Baertschi or Burmistrov when both have been playing very well.

I don't really care about history. The Canucks are not trying to win the cup, so different context. I don't see the Sedins getting scratched, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I was more wondering why you would scratch Baertschi or Burmistrov when both have been playing very well.

I don't really care about history. The Canucks are not trying to win the cup, so different context. I don't see the Sedins getting scratched, sorry.

Savard was a HHOF player!  The Twins are going to be HHOFers too.  If guys aren’t playing up to snuff, and need time off then give it to them.  Play more of the kids!  Bring up Goldy!  Baer and Burmistrov should sit too, if they play poorly.  Why should the vets be exempt from sitting?

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The twins don't need a benching. Reduced mins is just fine by me. 

I don't see this as a benching, L2. It's a rotation(think pitching staff!)..with our current incarnation, don't think it'll change the world.

Above suggestions like benching Eriksson(eg: a succession of games); with 6/36mill committed, don't see the wisdom. He's got to find his niche, hopefully with 2 big kids that can skate.

ONE lousy contract won't kill us, as our kids gradually age-up.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Savard was a HHOF player!  The Twins are going to be HHOFers too.  If guys aren’t playing up to snuff, and need time off then give it to them.  Play more of the kids!  Bring up Goldy!  Baer and Burmistrov should sit too, if they play poorly.  Why should the vets be exempt from sitting?

You added the "If they play poorly" just there. In that case, that could be said about any player. Still don't see your point. Goldobin should stay in Utica where he can be a top player for them. I don't see how calling him up helps anybody. Green isn't going to make decisions based on who the fans want to see.

If you're trying to instill a winning attitude, you can't take your better players and sit them down.  

Say what you will about the Sedins and their gradual decline, but they are still better then pretty much most of our other forwards.  

No self-respecting coach would do that either.

15 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't see this as a benching, L2. It's a rotation(think pitching staff!)..with our current incarnation, don't think it'll change the world.

Above suggestions like benching Eriksson(eg: a succession of games); with 6/36mill committed, don't see the wisdom. He's got to find his niche, hopefully with 2 big kids that can skate.

ONE lousy contract won't kill us, as our kids gradually age-up.

I don't have a problem benching anyone who's being out played.

Staging a vet rotation just isn't my groove, man 

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't have a problem benching anyone who's being out played.

Staging a vet rotation just isn't my groove, man 

My typing fingers dance like garden slugs, Lager..if we were frittering our time away at the donut shop, I'd bend your ear 'til you saw the wisdom...

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The old guys should challenge the young guys as to who scores the most goals til Xmas break. Make up two teams. The losing team has to wash the other teams car dressed as elves for charity.

Yeah, let's do that too. Also a book club, fight club, & other wonderful events.

Archived