The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Anaheim Ducks

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, Odd. said:

looks like virtanen may sit next game if Eriksson is ready.

If that happens then Jake has a right to be pissed.

How are the Sedins untouchable - do coaches want to get fired?

Can we just for one game at least see how the team plays without the twins - is that too much to ask?

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Can we just for one game at least see how the team plays without the twins - is that too much to ask?

Love the twins so much 

I'd give them the night off, paid

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I don't think there'd be much to be concerned about IF Jake comes out for a couple games, as long as it's only a couple. He can continue practicing hard and be extra fired up once he gets back into the lineup.  

If Jake is pissed off then good, provided he can translate some of those emotions into motivation on the ice it could be a good thing. I'm just happy he had over 10 minutes of ice time yesterday.

Just now, alfstonker said:

Maybe we can just slip them a mickey and let them sleep in. That way the rest of the team can tell them they had great games - just keep them away from the media.::D

Not a bad plan.

I fear the return of last seasons lethargy with Eriksson and Edler slotting back in.

The team was playing so well in their absence, so much energy and drive, speed, excitement. The Sedin's minutes being limited.

I'm worried. Especially if Jake is benched so Loui can fart around with his old pals to form the most expensive 4th line ever.

Against a team that's heavy and pretty damn fast, I'd have no issue resting the twins and slotting Eriksson in on a line with Gaunce and Virtanen, or something of the sort.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I don't think there'd be much to be concerned about IF Jake comes out for a couple games, as long as it's only a couple. He can continue practicing hard and be extra fired up once he gets back into the lineup.  

If Jake is pissed off then good, provided he can translate some of those emotions into motivation on the ice it could be a good thing. I'm just happy he had over 10 minutes of ice time yesterday.

But I don't think Jake needs a rest - I think his line mates are bordering on being "unplayable with" No one can say Jake has not held up his end, he is always up with play, going to the net and back checking - it's just that he may as well be out there on his own.

Why can't we now have a coach who applies the same standards to the Twins he applies to everyone else. Even Burmistrov has outworked the Sedins imo and he was dropped. I have said this for over two years now but this team will not get over the hump until we put the twins out to pasture.

They are actually playing more exclusively with each other than they ever have - the reason is easy to fathom and it's because it is helping to mask their deficiencies. They are attempting to make it seem like they are effective when in fact they are far from it. More turnovers, more silly penalties, more ignoring their line mate and more questionable moves (like staying on the ice too long on 3 on 3.

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Not a bad plan.

I fear the return of last seasons lethargy with Eriksson and Edler slotting back in.

The team was playing so well in their absence, so much energy and drive, speed, excitement. The Sedin's minutes being limited.

I'm worried. Especially if Jake is benched so Loui can fart around with his old pals to form the most expensive 4th line ever.

Against a team that's heavy and pretty damn fast, I'd have no issue resting the twins and slotting Eriksson in on a line with Gaunce and Virtanen, or something of the sort.

I could stand Loui coming back if it meant the twins were left out - at least Loui can defend and back check. Edler imo is not a problem, he just needs some match time. Let's not forget this "dip" (even according to Hank, much to TG's annoyance if you watch the video) has been coming for 4 games, Edler has only been back for one.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

But I don't think Jake needs a rest - I think his line mates are bordering on being "unplayable with" No one can say Jake has not held up his end, he is always up with play, going to the net and back checking - it's just that he may as well be out there on his own.

Why can't we now have a coach who applies the same standards to the Twins he applies to everyone else. Even Burmistrov has outworked the Sedins imo and he was dropped. I have said this for over two years now but this team will not get over the hump until we put the twins out to pasture.

They are actually playing more exclusively with each other than they ever have - the reason is easy to fathom and it's because it is helping to mask their deficiencies. They are attempting to make it seem like they are effective when in fact they are far from it. More turnovers, more silly penalties, more ignoring their line mate and more questionable moves (like staying on the ice too long on 3 on 3.

I don't see the Sedins being benched for extended periods of time, if at all. That's not anything new, and it isn't specific to the Sedin's either. That's typically what you get when you have 1000 points in the league. You afforded a little professional courtesy, especially if you're the captain and your brother is the assistant captain. 

I don't really have a problem with Burmistrov. He's as slow as the Sedins at times, but he makes some very calm and smart plays with the puck as well. We knew going into the season that there would be fluctuations in the lineup throughout the season. Despite wishful thinking I don't think many people thought the Twins would be scratched in place of Burmistrov, for example. There's a reason Gradin wanted to have Pettersson and Dahlen in the lineup with the Sedins this season, and it isn't because they are better leaders from the press box.

45 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

These are high priced, veteran players. The GM and Coach would never sit them, if they did it would mean their jobs.

25 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

These are high priced, veteran players. The GM and Coach would never sit them, if they did it would mean their jobs.

It would certainly be a wakeup call, and gutsy of Green to even recommend it. Yes, the Sedins each make $7 million tis year, but they're playing like $1 million players. Is it about winning or about respecting the old, wealthy guys?

When we were in our playoff heydey I recommended we sit the twins for the last 4 or 5 games before the playoffs. This new system is very demanding they could use a rest from time to time. I would celebrate the twins even if they were in the press box. Their reputation is untouchable.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Makes sense.  We played Edler last game and LOST.  Why not play Errikson too, so for certain we lose again!  Makes perfect sense.  :sadno:

Keep playing the vets (2nd to last)....Dahlin may be ours, which may solve some of the defensive whoas.

Archived