The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Anaheim Ducks

-Vintage Canuck-

47 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

McCann has 5 points in 8 games this year, not bad.  Considering he was a recent 1st round pick and we also threw in a 2nd and 4th I'd say that's a pretty big price to pay.  

Gudbranson missed most of last season and is -13 in Vancouver.  He's been, at best, decent.  

Are

@Rush17 

@1-d

@Mustapha

@appleboy

@Darius71

@guntrix

and myself all just Benning haters because they criticized Gudbranson?  

Gudbranson is a +1 so far under Green, and -14 under limited time with Willie D. I think the answer to that should be obvious. He brings a physical edge to the D group, if you missed that you weren't watching. He also missed a lot of last year breaking his wrist on Matt Martins face. 

McCann has 30 points in 102 NHL games, is really bad on face-offs and isn't physical. He's extremely average at best in a 3rd line role. 

To me thats a very good deal considering how much we need a physical player like EG, and when you look at Greens defensive system as a whole its working out well. 

Now it may not pan out but considering how middling McCann turned out to be it would be worth the risk for a rebuilding club. 

The picks turned into Rasmus Asplund who could turn out to be a Granlund-like player and Jonathan Ang who is putting up points in the OHL but is a smurf. We have the equivalent of these guys in the system and then some.

So when you look at the whole picture I really don't see how someone can say it was a bad deal for us. We didn't lose any skill we already have in the system and may yet get a tough RHD out of it. 

Go figure, a game that was all for the Nucks on a silver platter.

The Ducks had just come from a game vs LA described as a "playoff" atmosphere, fast, truculent, hard hitting and adding more injuries.

15 shots on goal in 2 periods? really?

The worst PP in the league? How could they lose this one? Is Tanev, a single player, that good?

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Just as an exercise in futility, how about:

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Daniel-Granny-Jake

Vanek-Henrik-Gagner

Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett

Was actually going to write out nearly exactly the same thing. I guarantee, if the Sedins weren’t brothers this is precisely the lineup we’d see. 

Playmaker - 2 Way - Sniper

Playmaker - 2 Way - Sniper

Sniper - Playmaker - 2 Way

Shutdown line. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why doesn't Dorsett play with the Sedins? He's fast, smart, could dig pucks out of corners, watch their backs, and the guy can score. I agree that Jake needs to play with other line mates.  

Agreed, Dorsett with Sedins !!!

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Hey, remember when going into last season people were saying our D is set for the future?  

There are two problems with Gudbranson

1. We gave up a lot to get him

2. He came advertised as a good shut down defenseman, and a nuclear deterrent from our players picked on.  He's neither of these things.  

If he came advertised as what he is, a good 3rd pairing physical guy that's good in the locker room.. people wouldn't be upset about his play.  

I think that the loss of Tryamkin has set this d back.  Tryamkin made Guddy expendable.

Regarding Guddy, JB has a dilemma.

1) Sign him probably for big $

2) Let him walk for nothing

3) Get less than fair value for him at the TDL because of his UFA status.  Unless they sign him then trade him.

I think he brings a lot of good things to the table.  The Canucks have nobody back there that really scares anyone.  When he is on the ice I think the other team thinks twice about crashing the crease, roughing it up after the whistle etc. This can only create a positive environment for his team mates to operate in - and this cant be measured by stats.  He is also good at separating opposing players from the puck. 

But is a throw back old school style d man worth the money he will be asking for?  Is he worth the assets JB gave up?  Its a good debate.

This is the worst game of Canucks in this season so far. Our players were no energy, slow and tired.

Sedins did nothing but put the puck to Ducks.

Gaunce was quite bad in the whole game.

We miss Tanev back, we need Burnistrov in.

Green, please put some energy to the players in next game. BUT  I DON'T KNOW HOW.

GO CANUCKS GO, GO GREEN GO.

14 hours ago, Darius71 said:

This D is too thin to have any combo of 2 starting d men out. 

It’s concerning that they only have one high end prospect in the d position in light of the fact tha dmen usually take longer to develop, it’s no wonder JB is throwing Hail Marys with guys like pouliot.

A lot of truth in these two points.  Stecher and Tanev are two of three guys who get the puck out of our zone.  Stecher helps hem it into the other zone as well.

I was happy as hell to get, reclamation project, Pouliot. But I also have encouraged a much more balanced approach to drafting D for years. I recommend a 1st, 2knd and 3rd every 3 years. Exactly the 1/3rd balance that matches the fact D is 2 out of 6 guys on the ice.

And suggested not drafting D would catch up to us. Juolevi was a good start in efforts to rectify that imbalance.  But we are still drafting below that ratio. And we were staring many years behind when Benning arrived.

It was a bad game, but we need to rally around our boys. I don't buy that anyone on our team doesn't want to be here. From what I've seen and heard, Guddy loves it here. Let's keep the positive vibe that these boards have had for most of the season so far. I like it. 

Archived