The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minister of Public Safety announces $327.6 million to fight gangs and gun violence

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Has Canada had the death penalty?

Yes.

On July 14, 1976, Bill C-84 was passed by a narrow margin of 130:124 in a free vote, resulting in the de jure abolition of the death penalty, except for certain offences under the National Defence Act. These were removed in 1998.

42 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

HIghest priced housing in Canada combined with lowest wages in Canada.  Recipe for disaster. 

Sure.  A legit challenge for all but not an excuse or reason to become involved in gang violence or the drug trade.

there are many individuals who choose to be in gangs for the status despite having all the family resources behind them.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sure.  A legit challenge for all but not an excuse or reason to become involved in gang violence or the drug trade.

there are many individuals who choose to be in gangs for the status despite having all the family resources behind them.

Agreed there is certainly no excuse to sell poison to  people with addiction / mental health  issues....

#BrokenBC     in my opinion refers to high-cost housing. low wages,  poor social services /addiction /mental health services.

Too many companies in the lower mainland only want to hire Red Seal Journeymen with years of experience..... Way too many company's in the lower mainland are simply not willing to hire level 1 apprentices and train skilled workers.  Yes there is a cost to training skill workers but too many of our local employers simply are not willing to make the investment. 

Hopefully the NDP will insist on company's hiring apprentices before they can win bids for major projects.  That would be awesome to see. 

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed there is certainly no excuse to sell poison to  people with addiction / mental health  issues....

#BrokenBC     in my opinion refers to high-cost housing. low wages,  poor social services /addiction /mental health services.

Too many companies in the lower mainland only want to hire Red Seal Journeymen with years of experience..... Way too many company's in the lower mainland are simply not willing to hire level 1 apprentices and train skilled workers.  Yes there is a cost to training skill workers but too many of our local employers simply are not willing to make the investment. 

Hopefully the NDP will insist on company's hiring apprentices before they can win bids for major projects.  That would be awesome to see. 

So in your communist world who would be the alternative to award the contracts to? An Alberta company?

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are you in the trades KOS?

from what I've seen on the west coast (and during leaner times in bc but booms in other provinces) is a significant labour shortage from unskilled right up to certified workers.  Essentially, lots of jobs for people who want to work.

imo if there is a shift towards proper certification requirements to fill positions it's not necessarily a bad thing. Certified trades that are sole proprietors for example tend to have the following positive attributes:

safety certifications/training

wcb coverage

liability insurance 

taxeable contracts (above board work)

pride in craftsmanship  

uncertified "trades" workers more often than not do not work under the same stipulations.

simply put:  who would you hire to build your home. 

Having said that im all for young workers/apprentices getting a shot.  But keeping a job requires more than a gvt implemented hiring/employment policy.

having many friends and peers in higher end construction companies I know they absolutely do hire apprentices who they may have recruited through different trades schools.

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Having said that im all for young workers/apprentices getting a shot.  But keeping a job requires more than a gvt implemented hiring/employment policy.

having many friends and peers in higher end construction companies I know they absolutely do hire apprentices who they may have recruited through different trades schools.

Agreed and i would like to see  Apprentice levels  ( numbers ) established  in large government contracts.  

Increasing youth apprentices in BC is something that  our province needs to do a better job with. 

Our province will soon be   in dire need of skilled workers.  

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So in your communist world who would be the alternative to award the contracts to? An Alberta company?

I am not a communist.  But yes i would like to see government contracts that ensure certain levels of approved NEW  ITA apprentices working on large  government  infrastructure projects  /  sites. 

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

One of the reasons why i left BC. Every company wanted journeyman and only payed second or third year rate but still wanted 5+ years experience.

10 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

That’s an incredibly naive statement for a guy who’s travelled so much. I won’t even comment on the rest of your post as it’s the usual ignorant crap you spew at any actual or perceived opportunity.

cool story you must be a cop. Ya canada is rotting  much rather live in south east asia laos or nepal in the hills  peaceful no douchebags trying to tell you have to llive your life. Plus the people arent self absorbed  materiistic a holes with little or no empathy. 

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

cool story you must be a cop. Ya canada is rotting  much rather live in south east asia laos or nepal in the hills  peaceful no douchebags trying to tell you have to llive your life. Plus the people arent self absorbed  materiistic a holes with little or no empathy. 

Well come on, do you want to go ahead and provide some evidence of your statement calling Canada's politicians and cops the most corrupt on Earth? I think it would be widely agreed that Canada is one of the least corrupt countries on Earth. Venezuela, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Philippines,  etc. 

When you say "douchebags trying to tell you have to live your life" I'm assuming you mean things like obeying the law, paying taxes...outrageous demands if I've ever heard some.

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed and i would like to see  Apprentice levels  ( numbers ) established  in large government contracts.  

Increasing youth apprentices in BC is something that  our province needs to do a better job with. 

Our province will soon be   in dire need of skilled workers.  

Maybe the NDP should stop killing projects that need apprentices then? 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Well come on, do you want to go ahead and provide some evidence of your statement calling Canada's politicians and cops the most corrupt on Earth? I think it would be widely agreed that Canada is one of the least corrupt countries on Earth. Venezuela, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Philippines,  etc. 

When you say "douchebags trying to tell you have to live your life" I'm assuming you mean things like obeying the law, paying taxes...outrageous demands if I've ever heard some.

Come on man, where do you get the gall to post facts here?

Next time, just write down some rambling thoughts, without punctuation, capital letters etc.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Very naive.  Do some research on BC and off shore investors.  

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

You think that level of corruption in Canada, is similar to these other countries that he mentioned?

It gets tedious to hear BC citizens talk about corruption in foreign countries...... yet ignore what was allowed to happen in our own province the last 5 years.

The youth of BC have been sold out by our own politicians . 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

What project has the NDP killed ?  

LNG. Site C soon. Tunnel replacement. They want to shut down Kinder Morgan and the new marine safety centre that would come with it. Lots of great apprentice jobs there for our kids wouldn't you say? 

Archived