The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who says we're overpaying? Have you been sitting in on meetings with Benning and Guddy's agent? If not you're just talking out of your butt. Not sure where you're even pulling 5 million from...Rumors from when he was in Florida? Doubt that has much relevance now after the last 2 seasons he's had.

Guddy is a decent hockey player and anyone who can't see that isn't a decent hockey fan. He sticks up for himself and his teammates, which is something every team needs.

Forget about Hutton's point totals, he's just showing that his hockey sense is rather lacking. It's likely that he's been shielded by D partners that cover his mistakes. Now that he doesn't have that he's being exposed pretty badly.

Selling low? Nah, trading Gudbranson now would be selling low.

Can you honestly reference your first 3 sentences of this post and the last 2 and not see the hypocrisy?  

Does Guddy bring anything more than Butcher or Murzyn did? 

10 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It was an estimation. I assumed you had been following the discussion on this thread. 

If we can lock him up for much less, I'm all for it.

Sticking up for yourself and your teammates makes you a good enforcer, even if he hesitates to involve himself in fights sometimes.

If Hutton's hockey sense is "lacking," what's Gudbranson's? Non-existent? 

Never mentioned anything about trading Gudbranson. Talk about "talking out of your butt." 

I'll wait and see how his contract negotiations go early next year before delving into that discussion. 

An estimation based on what? If he's such a poor hockey player as you say, how would he have any leverage to demand 5 million? He wouldn't.

Sticking up for your teammates makes you a good teammate...You think any player who steps up and defends his teammate is an enforcer?

Look deeper than just point totals and you'll see why Guddy is better in his own end than Hutton. Hutton has been a train wreck there since after his first season.

You didn't mention anything about trading Gudbranson? Then what have you been talking about? If you think we're going to have to pay him 5 million then we are going to either trade him or let him walk. And we better not let him walk.

7 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

There is so mush stupid and senseless bickering in this thread. SMH.

Can’t wait to come back to it when Guddy is either traded or re-signed and see who shows up to beat their chests and brags about how smart they are/were.

Yeah, well we're all going to come back and rub your nose in this, right after we stop bickering.

#nevergonnahappen:lol:

6 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Can you honestly reference your first 3 sentences of this post and the last 2 and not see the hypocrisy?  

Does Guddy bring anything more than Butcher or Murzyn did? 

What that selling Gudbranson now would be selling low?

We're not getting a prospect and a 2nd round pick for him now after the last two seasons he's had, I can tell you that.

Don't see how the two relate.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

An estimation based on what? If he's such a poor hockey player as you say, how would he have any leverage to demand 5 million? He wouldn't.

Based on the estimation that he currently makes 3.5 and could realistically command more going into his prime on an open market. Not that I would blame him for wanting to milk the cow, so to speak. It's his living after all. 

Sticking up for your teammates makes you a good teammate...You think any player who steps up and defends his teammate is an enforcer?

There's a difference between "decent hockey player" and "good teammate." I agree with the latter though your initial post depicted the former. If you don't know the difference between those two, I can't help you.

Look deeper than just point totals and you'll see why Guddy is better in his own end than Hutton. Hutton has been a train wreck there since after his first season.

So basically, he's been bad for two seasons. 

For a fan base so hell-bent on supporting Canuck draftees, this is a sad case of "what have you done for me lately." 

You didn't mention anything about trading Gudbranson? Than what have you been talking about? If you think we're going to have to pay him 5 million than we are going to either trade him or let him walk. And we better not let him walk.

Another misunderstanding. 

I'm cool with Gudbranson at the right price. Do I think he'll resign for a price reflective of a 4/5 d-man? probably not.

18 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

There is so mush stupid and senseless bickering in this thread. SMH.

Can’t wait to come back to it when Guddy is either traded or re-signed and see who shows up to beat their chests and brags about how smart they are/were.

I do think he'll resign here. I'm just worried it'll be a Kris Russell @ Edmonton Oilers handicap contract (except Russell can actually put up points). 

Anyone who thinks the market for Gudbranson is 5 million doesn't know the market.

Look at the D-men comparables that have signed over the last couple years and you'll see Guddy can command no more than 3-4 million. My guess is he gets a slight raise to put him at around 3.8-4 million.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What that selling Gudbranson now would be selling low?

We're not getting a prospect and a 2nd round pick for him now after the last two seasons he's had, I can tell you that.

Don't see how the two relate.

How can you know now would be selling low? Or what other GM’s would be offering? None of us knows that.

Stamkos has had injuries too as well as Karlsson (not that 44 is anywhere near the same value) does that mean they would net less in trade now than before they had surgeries? Again none of us knows.

I probably shouldn’t post when I’m pissed off so I’ll go back to waiting until he gets re-signed or traded and then come back here.

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

How can you know now would be selling low? Or what other GM’s would be offering? None of us knows that.

Logic?

Why would any GM give up good value for a player that has 7 points in his last two seasons and has struggled with injuries? Not to mention he's a pending UFA.

They wouldn't plain and simple. Don't have to sit in trade calls to know that.

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Logic?

Why would any GM give up good value for a player that has 7 points in his last two seasons and has struggled with injuries? Not to mention he's a pending UFA.

They wouldn't plain and simple. Don't have to sit in trade calls to know that.

I’m prepared to come back to this thread once he either poops or gets off the pot.

good day

5 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Lots of 3rd pairing dmen are picked in the late first. It was a fair trade then. This fan base just has cody Hodgson syndrome and loses it when trades are made to young players (shinkaruk is another example.)

It was a fair trade then, that's not the point though.

The point is we'd be selling low based on what we got out of him. If we were to simply dump him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now, that would be selling low. In that sense we overpaid for him considering the trade was made with the idea he was to be part of the teams long term plans.

6 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I do think he'll resign here. I'm just worried it'll be a Kris Russell @ Edmonton Oilers handicap contract (except Russell can actually put up points). 

I'll be celebrating if the Canucks sign Gudbranson to those terms / 4 million x Xyrs.

Btw, Kris Russell doesn't just lead their blueline in points (while killing far more penalties than he gets powerplay time), he also leads that team in blocked shots, and hits and blocks combined, second to only Larsson.

His cap hit is not really out of line - he's a 4/5 D for them, he's their 4th highest blueline cap hit and there are a pair of RFAs (Nurse and Benning) who earn less than him....

His underlying numbers are pretty much right in line with the rest of that blueline - only Larsson and Nurse stand out as having better possession numbers.

So perhaps you protest too much - in both cases.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'll be celebrating if the Canucks sign Gudbranson to those terms / 4 million x Xyrs.

Of course you would.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Btw, Kris Russell doesn't just lead their blueline in points (while killing far more penalties than he gets powerplay time), he also leads that team in blocked shots, and hits and blocks combined, second to only Larsson.

His cap hit is not really out of line - he's a 4/5 D for them, he's their 4th highest blueline cap hit and there are a pair of RFAs (Nurse and Benning) who earn less than him....

His underlying numbers are pretty much right in line with the rest of that blueline - only Larsson and Nurse stand out as having better possession numbers.

So perhaps you protest too much - in both cases.

Might look good this year, but how about three-four years down the line when he's still earning $4 million at 33/34 with a modified NTC/NMC? Maybe not so much. 

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Of course you would.

Might look good this year, but how about three-four years down the line when he's still earning $4 million at 33/34 with a modified NTC/NMC? Maybe not so much. 

Good thing Gudbranson is 25 and will only be 29/30 in 3 or 4 years.

Just now, guntrix said:

Of course you would.

I could not care less about Kris Russell's future with the Coil or what he does at 34 years old   Let him decline.  I'll leave the fortune-telling to you though.

Gudranson is 25 - your point appears irrelevent.

Archived