The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

So you'd give up a 1st for Matt Martin?  Lol indeed.

If I was the defending Stanley Cup champs and had the best player in the world where one more concussion would likely end his career, then ya, I'd probably pay a premium to have someone protect him. 

I would have signed him for nothing in free agency, but anything more than a 4th is a waste of an asset.

Anything more than a 4th is a waste of an asset but some how a player with Gudbranson's skillset is worth an unprecedented contract of $4.5M x 5-7 years? How can you view one player so highly while the other is worth almost nothing to you? Martin clearly fills the role of a physical presence much better, which is your main argument as to why we should re-sign Gudbranson. 

And I'd take Reaves over Martin, particularly at less than half the cap hit, but wouldn't pay anywhere near what Pitt did (never thought much of Rutherford as a GM tbh).

Sure, who wouldn't rather have a physical presence that made half the money? That's my whole point as to why we shouldn't re-sign Gudbranson. 

I suppose that just underlines what a great job Benning has been doing - landed Dorsett for a 3rd - definitely the best hockey player of the three, by a longshot.

Dorsett may be the best player of the 3 but he was by far the worst enforcer, which is what we're talking about. You have to love Dorsett's heart but he wasn't intimidating anyone. 

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

any new rumours on this front?

Lol negative. 

It was a topic of conversation prior to the SJ game, which was Gudbranson's 1st game back and also the last game before the roster freeze. They panel was arguing whether or not they should dress Gudbranson if JB was planning on trading him that night. I think it was just more spitballing though. 

Doubtful they trade him before the trade deadline, when his value would be the highest, especially if you can do a sign and trade, allowing for a bigger return.  Once again, we'll have to wait for someone else to get the ball rolling, and listen to a lot more speculation with no basis in actual fact.  Merry Christmas :)

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

He plays less and produces less. How does that make him more well rounded? He's averaging less than 7 minutes a game. That's about as low as a player gets. 

He makes the most use of his 7 minutes. Regardless, he is the toughest and best fighter in the league who can play a regular shift. Hard to come by. I wouldn't question the decisions of a team who just won back to back cups. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

He makes the most use of his 7 minutes. Regardless, he is the toughest and best fighter in the league who can play a regular shift. Hard to come by. I wouldn't question the decisions of a team who just won back to back cups. 

he only had 7 minutes last night?

30 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

that seems kinda of low with 7 d out there lol.  maybe a trade is pending so they limited his icetime.  Was it more time during the first and or 2nd?  anyone happen to know

We are talking about Ryan Reaves bruh 

Some nobody on Rick Dhaliwal's twitter said the Islanders are interested in Gudbranson. Book it! Haha

Might make sense though, since De Haan is done for the year. 

I guess I should add, Tanev is apparently feeling better and might play Thursday. That would give us 8 healthy D. So 2 of Biega, Hutton, Stetcher, MDZ, Pouliot and Gudbranson would have to sit. 

Screenshot_20171226-104917.png

51 minutes ago, westcoast said:

I know Dallas is on the cap ,but with them doing well this year ,not a ton of depth on d and no income tax may be a fit for gudbranson.They have a partner for Juolevi that could work depending on values.

Well, the no income tax thing doesn't really make a difference unless you're suggesting we give Dallas a window to try and work out a contract for Gudbranson pre-trade.

According to cap friendly, Dallas has $1.05M in cap remaining, with an additional $60K in LTIR relief. So it's likely possible at the deadline or sooner if we plan on retaining. Personally, I think we should try and avoid retaining on Gudbranson if possible. I think we can already get a good asset for him, so I'd rather retain on Vanek to improve the asset we get for him. We're already retaining on Hansen and Lu so we can only retain on one more contract this year.

On 12/24/2017 at 12:33 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Dorsett may be the best player of the 3 but he was by far the worst enforcer, which is what we're talking about.

Nope - we're not talking about mere enforcement - that's what you're attempting to reduce these hockey players to - apparently you believe that dwelling on a single element serves your narrative, which is otherwise absurd as I've pointed out numerous times.

What we're talking about is player value - and yes, Dorsett is the best player, clearly

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Matt Barzal :)

hahahah

He is by far their most desirable prospect for sure. Their prospect pool is kind of shallow.  We could see him move for a roster player and prospect.  Who do they have for top 9 scoring?  We could use a RH D.  Pulock if he still has potential in him would be a nice add on.  Not sure if we can luck out like we did in landing Pouliot again.  I would be surprised if Pulock becomes half of what pouliot can become.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

He is by far their most desirable prospect for sure. Their prospect pool is kind of shallow.  We could see him move for a roster player and prospect.  Who do they have for top 9 scoring?  We could use a RH D.  Pulock if he still has potential in him would be a nice add on.  Not sure if we can luck out like we did in landing Pouliot again.  I would be surprised if Pulock becomes half of what pouliot can become.

Who is that stalled prospect picked one before Jake?  Considering JB’s history of trading for stalled prospects, maybe that guy is on JB’s radar?  

Archived