The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is that stalled prospect picked one before Jake?  Considering JB’s history of trading for stalled prospects, maybe that guy is on JB’s radar?  

maybe lol. hope not.  i have believed for a while hes not all chalked up to what they that he was.

Jim would be the man to know though.  I would like to move another asset and land Barzal.  

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

maybe lol. hope not.  i have believed for a while hes not all chalked up to what they that he was.

Jim would be the man to know though.  I would like to move another asset and land Barzal.  

I’m thinking we would have more of a chance trading for Tavares than Barzal.  Considering the Islanders might not be able to resign Tavares, maybe there is a potential to nab him?

You guys gotta get your head out of the clouds. Barzal?!? Tavares?!?!? Unless you're suggesting that Boeser or Pettersson is going the other way, it's not even a remote possibility.

But NYI has a lot of attractive assets that are at least reasonable to go after. They have 2 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds (thanks to Calgary) so landing the latest first may be doable.

Also, they have a lot of good young LHD. I would look seriously at trying to pluck Devon Toews or Sebastian Aho (the D-man) from them. 

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You guys gotta get your head out of the clouds. Barzal?!? Tavares?!?!? Unless you're suggesting that Boeser or Pettersson is going the other way, it's not even a remote possibility.

But NYI has a lot of attractive assets that are at least reasonable to go after. They have 2 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds (thanks to Calgary) so landing the latest first may be doable.

Also, they have a lot of good young LHD. I would look seriously at trying to pluck Devon Toews or Sebastian Aho (the D-man) from them. 

Those picks actually sound nice.  A first and a second for Guddy + what?  Granlund? 

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If it's Guddy to the Isles I expect it would be around Brock Nelson, not picks or prospects. On the assumption that the Sedins retire.

It wouldn't be what many Canucks fans would want but it would stop-gap plug a hole in the middle. Nelson has been supplanted as 2C by Barzal and they could use another D, and their cap is fairly tight.

The Isles won't likely be re-signing him and he's an RFA at year's end since they won't prioritise his cap allowance. The Canucks can afford him over a 4 year deal. ($4.5-5.5 mil?).

Could also see that be another D as well.

1 minute ago, theminister said:

If it's Guddy to the Isles I expect it would be around Brock Nelson, not picks or prospects. On the assumption that the Sedins retire.

It wouldn't be what many Canucks fans would want but it would stop-gap plug a hole in the middle. Nelson has been supplanted as 2C by Barzal and they could use another D, and their cap is fairly tight.

The Isles won't likely be re-signing him and he's an RFA at year's end since they won't prioritise his cap allowance. The Canucks can afford him over a 4 year deal. ($4.5-5.5 mil?).

Wouldn’t the only reason JB makes that trade is if he knows Guddy will not re-sign with us?  

6 minutes ago, theminister said:

I think we'd be better off re-signing the twins for 1 more year than committing to 4 years of Brock Nelson. We'll hopefully have one or both of Petterrson and Gaudette down the middle in the next year or 2. I don't think we need anything more than a brief stop gap down the middle.

Also, I think a 40-45 point RFA center holds more value than the soon to be UFA Gudbranson. Not to say both teams couldn't work something out but I don't see it being a fit personally. 

If it were up to me, I'd like to see Gudbranson moved strictly for futures.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those picks actually sound nice.  A first and a second for Guddy + what?  Granlund? 

I think getting the later 1st (probably the Isles) alone would be decent, considering how disappointing Guddy has been. Don't think they have an overwhelming need for anything else we have.

33 minutes ago, theminister said:

Nelson would be a decent add as well, especially if the twins are leaving.

56 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think we'd be better off re-signing the twins for 1 more year than committing to 4 years of Brock Nelson. We'll hopefully have one or both of Petterrson and Gaudette down the middle in the next year or 2. I don't think we need anything more than a brief stop gap down the middle.

Also, I think a 40-45 point RFA center holds more value than the soon to be UFA Gudbranson. Not to say both teams couldn't work something out but I don't see it being a fit personally. 

If it were up to me, I'd like to see Gudbranson moved strictly for futures.

You and many fans would prefer futures.

I'm attempting to tell you why it's less likely. 

12 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Some nobody on Rick Dhaliwal's twitter said the Islanders are interested in Gudbranson. Book it! Haha

Might make sense though, since De Haan is done for the year. 

I guess I should add, Tanev is apparently feeling better and might play Thursday. That would give us 8 healthy D. So 2 of Biega, Hutton, Stetcher, MDZ, Pouliot and Gudbranson would have to sit. 

The guy was probably looking at Eklund's site which had a rumour that the Isles were interested in Gudbranson.

It is one of those that makes a little sense so is thrown out there.

IF resigning Guddy doesn’t seem likely and Canucks are going to move him,  Tampa could use a player like him to gear up for this year’s playoffs.

Gudbranson + Goldobin for Girardi + Foote + Conditional 3rd round pick (becomes a 2nd if Guddy resigns)

This summer Tampa wanted to add a physical, shutdown RHD so they went out and signed Girardi.  He’s been a decent signing but the bolts have relied heavily on Hedman and Stralman, they are the only two above 17 minutes a game.  Guddy would be a younger upgrade to help take on some of those minutes and add intimidation to their back end.  He would be a big add to their roster in time for playoffs. 

Hedman Stralman

Sergachev Gudbranson

Coburn Dotchin

Koekkoek Sutsr

Not that the bolts need any more offensive talent on their overfilled roster, but goldy would be put in a perfect surrounding to develop into a top 6 player, potentially allowing Tampa to replace a higher cap hit player in the next two years (like Palat and his 5.3 cap hit).  

Guddy would solidify Tampa’s D and not force them to resign Sustr (1.9) who’s struggled this year, as well as moving out Girardi (3.0) would open up 4.9 cap space for them to lock down Guddy as there RHD (if they wanted to).

As for the Canucks,  Girardi becomes a short term stop gap providing something similar to what Guddy offered us (just at declining level).  But the real prize would be Foote, who would fill Gudbranson’s role over the long term.  Now the big this is Girardi just signed with Tampa and he has a NTC and Tampa is a cup contender, so I’m not sure if he would waive, making the entire proposal irrelevant. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

IF resigning Guddy doesn’t seem likely and Canucks are going to move him,  Tampa could use a player like him to gear up for this year’s playoffs.

Gudbranson + Goldobin for Girardi + Foote + Conditional 3rd round pick (becomes a 2nd if Guddy resigns)

:sadno:

1) Tampa has been quite happy with Girardi. He's been solid in his role.

2) If Goldobin can't crack the Canucks, he doesn't have a hope in hell of cracking Tampa.

3) Tampa has a ton of solid forward prospects (Howden, Joseph, Katchouk, Volkov, etc.), but comparably not many D - seriously doubt they'd give up Foote, especially for a somewhat questionable upgrade.

4) Tampa won't have the cap room to re-sign Guddy.

On 24/12/2017 at 12:14 PM, VIC_CITY said:

He plays less and produces less. How does that make him more well rounded? He's averaging less than 7 minutes a game. That's about as low as a player gets. 

Martin has averaged 8:20 this season. Just a shade off of rock bottom then.

16 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:sadno:

1) Tampa has been quite happy with Girardi. He's been solid in his role.

Hes been ok but very inconsistent defensively. Solid for his cap I guess. But hes also declining, and you can’t count on him to play the big minutes he used to. He’s good for the short term. If lightning want to make a long run in playoffs they will need someone to take some minutes from hedman and stralman.  That’s what Guddy could provide in the short term and long term. He would be an upgrade, with potential. 

2) If Goldobin can't crack the Canucks, he doesn't have a hope in hell of cracking Tampa.

He doesn’t need to this year. He should be back in the ahl developing rather than getting limited ice. if there’s one thing the bolts are good at. It’s developing offensive talent. 

3) Tampa has a ton of solid forward prospects (Howden, Joseph, Katchouk, Volkov, etc.),

Joseph, volkov & radyshh are RW, Howden is center, katchouk is the only LW but a few years out. Goldi is a left shot that would be able to take out kunitz and his 2.0 cap hit next year. He’s also got the potential to replace palat and save on his 5.3 cap. 

but comparably not many D - seriously doubt they'd give up Foote, especially for a somewhat questionable upgrade.

I doubt they give up Foote but man would I like him. They do have D though,  their roster today is loaded with young talent. A future top 4, Guddy, sergachev, dotchin hedman who all are currently under 28. 

4) Tampa won't have the cap room to re-sign Guddy.

Sustr will be gone this year and adding in girardi cap means the have 4.9 to reup guddy. I don’t see how guddy gets anything over 5.

I think the biggest issue is girardi NTC. He and Callahan are close friends, he’s living in Florida and on a cup contending team. Don’t see why he’d waive. Coburn would likely waive to Vancouver but he’s a left shot and they’d be looking for a left shot in return, not guddy. 

Archived