The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Image result for what meme\

HItler...never went to Switzerland, never invaded.  Thought about it with help from Italy but decided ti would be to costly.

The only place without unregistered guns. 

I mean, I thought that was true. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Google is your friend. 

Google gun ownership in Switzerland. 

With gun registration, you know where the guns are. 

It appears I have made a spectacular blunder in detail though. I know pre war History fairly well, it’s kind of a hobby, or so I thought. 

28 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I was making a generalization about a future state where I see guns and the right to defend yourself, gone, everywhere. We are losing freedoms like we are endangered species right now and nobody seems all that alarmed. Sure, it won’t affect us much, but it will our grandkids, etc. 

I really don’t get why a person needs a bunch of assault rifles in the first place, but that’s where the slippery slope starts, I agree. I like guns and trucks, both kill lots of people. I don’t need to pass tests to get a truck like I do a gun though. This is a bigger political issue, IMO. What do I know though? I’m just an average Joe. 

We haven't been free since the early 70s.  You literally cannot even power your own home without facing fines fees or penalties.  This endless notion that North America is "free" has been a fallacy for decades.

Seriously, go try to build a home on crown land.  Add an addition to your house.  Drive without a seatbelt on.  Or have a forward facing car seat on a child that needs a rear facing one.

We're not free and haven't been in a very long time

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

With gun registration, you know where the guns are. 

It appears I have made a spectacular blunder in detail though. I know pre war History fairly well, it’s kind of a hobby, or so I thought. 

much different attitude there tho, the mandatory training they get in Switzerland is so much more intensive than the weekend getting your PAL here. 

29 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The only place without unregistered guns. 

I mean, I thought that was true. 

No sir.  Military enlistment is mandatory.  They put kids through training and ensure everyone knows how rifles and various arms and armaments work.  Ammo is also not allowed to be stored at home and all weapons kept locked and in safes.  ALL guns are registered.  ALL guns are very securely kept and while gun ownership is a right it is very strict in the sense that not everyone is entitled to one

In October 2007, the Swiss Federal Council decided that the distribution of ammunition to soldiers shall stop and that all previously issued ammo shall be returned. By March 2011, more than 99% of the ammo has been received. Only special rapid deployment units and the military police still store ammunition at home today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We haven't been free since the early 70s.  You literally cannot even power your own home without facing fines fees or penalties.  This endless notion that North America is "free" has been a fallacy for decades.

Seriously, go try to build a home on crown land.  Add an addition to your house.  Drive without a seatbelt on.  Or have a forward facing car seat on a child that needs a rear facing one.

the only way you'll be "free" is if you go live in a cave by yourself somewhere. Bring one more person in and you need rules. I don't see that as being bad, we need some sensible structures in place. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the only way you'll be "free" is if you go live in a cave by yourself somewhere. Bring one more person in and you need rules. I don't see that as being bad, we need some sensible structures in place. 

Simple, really, just obey my rules and things will be fine. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

And you love it....don't you.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what evidence do you have that the RCMP isn't using data or don't have legitimate concerns? Is it this way for 100% of the gun list or just a couple of outlier examples? 

Like i said above, you don't get special consideration because you followed the law. I'm tired of hearing the "law abiding gun owner" whining, tbh as an excuse to loosen gun regulations. The extended background checks shouldn't bother anyone who isn't a potential risk. 

I agree there is an overlapping issue with how criminals obtain guns, but that doesn't excuse having looser regulations for the rest of us. You don't know who is going to not be law abiding, you are law abiding until you are not.

The NFA isn't in charge of safety and security in Canada so their opinion on crime is pretty meaningless. Do you really want a lobbyist setting our safety and security policies? Hows that worked out for the US? 

Lots of examples..... 

The CZ858 was un-banned, yet there's a shipment of special Spartan CZ858 delivered to a seller.  The only difference between the previous CZ858 and the "special" edition is that the the latter has engravings with Spartan logo and wording on it.  It is the same gun, the exterior almost exactly the same (a few different markings).... but the RCMP has classified it as prohibited.  

There are also the case with those .50 bmg rifles.  A single shot Iver Johnson AMAC is banned.... but the GM6 Lynx, which is semi-automatic is non-restricted.  Both never been used in a crime or anything either.  

Lots of "AR" related platforms are also classified randomly.  AR-15 is restricted, the AR-180 is very similar but prohibited, and the Maccabee SLR (which can use AR parts) will be unrestricted.  All shooting the same bullet and stuff... but different classification.

There are at least a couple of dozen more examples of inconsistent rulings of firearms, almost all never used in crimes, never been used in mass shootings, etc.  Maybe there are facts that the RCMP considers before making a decision?  Lucky for them, all information in deliberation is not released to the public and done in private.  

The law abiding part is important to note because firearm license holder are held up to higher standards compared to regular folks.  If you have a long criminal record relating to domestic abuse or violence, you automatically lose your license and will be barred from getting one.  If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness, taken meds for it, or been institutionalized.... you won't be allowed to have guns.  

in additional to all that background check when attaining a license, I will be subjected to a background check by the system every single day.  A violent offense, my name will pop up and trouble will ensue.  

Then the firearms and ammo will have to be stored in a safe manner.  I leave a handgun on the table and the CFO came by and noticed.... 2-years in jail for me.  

If you don't follow the law as a firearms owner, you'll be so royally screwed.  

You are assuming I'm aiming towards looser regulations, but I'm not.  I'm just concerned with how the system is currently managed.  Guns classified seemingly at random by those supposed to only enforce the laws.  All done behind closed doors, without consultation, without any oversight by those who are elected to make decisions and minimal recourse to appeal a decision. 

If the RCMP has public hearings on how they will classify guns, with multiple experts from all fields to give input, lots of stats and information to considered and then the proper decision is decided upon.... I have no problem.  But right now, done in secrecy with no proof of any research done.... that's a huge problem.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Lots of examples..... 

The CZ858 was un-banned, yet there's a shipment of special Spartan CZ858 delivered to a seller.  The only difference between the previous CZ858 and the "special" edition is that the the latter has engravings with Spartan logo and wording on it.  It is the same gun, the exterior almost exactly the same (a few different markings).... but the RCMP has classified it as prohibited.  

There are also the case with those .50 bmg rifles.  A single shot Iver Johnson AMAC is banned.... but the GM6 Lynx, which is semi-automatic is non-restricted.  Both never been used in a crime or anything either.  

Lots of "AR" related platforms are also classified randomly.  AR-15 is restricted, the AR-180 is very similar but prohibited, and the Maccabee SLR (which can use AR parts) will be unrestricted.  All shooting the same bullet and stuff... but different classification.

There are at least a couple of dozen more examples of inconsistent rulings of firearms, almost all never used in crimes, never been used in mass shootings, etc.  Maybe there are facts that the RCMP considers before making a decision?  Lucky for them, all information in deliberation is not released to the public and done in private.  

The law abiding part is important to note because firearm license holder are held up to higher standards compared to regular folks.  If you have a long criminal record relating to domestic abuse or violence, you automatically lose your license and will be barred from getting one.  If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness, taken meds for it, or been institutionalized.... you won't be allowed to have guns.  

in additional to all that background check when attaining a license, I will be subjected to a background check by the system every single day.  A violent offense, my name will pop up and trouble will ensue.  

Then the firearms and ammo will have to be stored in a safe manner.  I leave a handgun on the table and the CFO came by and noticed.... 2-years in jail for me.  

If you don't follow the law as a firearms owner, you'll be so royally screwed.  

You are assuming I'm aiming towards looser regulations, but I'm not.  I'm just concerned with how the system is currently managed.  Guns classified seemingly at random by those supposed to only enforce the laws.  All done behind closed doors, without consultation, without any oversight by those who are elected to make decisions and minimal recourse to appeal a decision. 

If the RCMP has public hearings on how they will classify guns, with multiple experts from all fields to give input, lots of stats and information to considered and then the proper decision is decided upon.... I have no problem.  But right now, done in secrecy with no proof of any research done.... that's a huge problem.   

ah OK that makes sense. It seems to me from your description that if they don't want  to make it public then the RCMP needs to hire an expert or two to help them through some of these decisions. We assume that they are up on every model but they actually may need to hire a content expert - Health Canada does this all the time for certain types of complex medical devices, they happily bring in an expert when needed. 

• Cheers 1

Gee I wonder why they blocked this.

Liberal MPs block bid to have Trudeau’s national security adviser testify about India trip

Liberal MPs defeated a Conservative motion on Thursday calling on Justin Trudeau’s national security adviser to testify at a public committee about the Prime Minister’s recent trip to India, triggering a voting session in the House of Commons that is expected to go through the night.

The motion called for Mr. Trudeau to instruct national security adviser Daniel Jean to appear at the public safety and national security committee before the end of the month. It was supported by the Tories and the NDP, but defeated in a vote of 161 to 111 with all Liberal MPs voting against it.

The Official Opposition also filed more than 250 other motions to trigger a marathon vote in Parliament on Thursday that could run more than 40 hours, using procedural tactics to draw attention to the fact that the Liberal majority blocked a bid to hear from Mr. Jean in public.

foreign affairs critic Erin O’Toole said that if the motion goes down, “It is a sign that the Liberals hold Canadians and Parliament in contempt and that this is a cover-up.”

But the Liberals argued that questions about Mr. Trudeau’s India trip have already been answered, and sought to defend Mr. Jean as a respected public servant.

“The motion calls into question the non-partisan nature of our public servants and the advice that they give, which we reject fully, completely, full stop,” Liberal MP Mark Holland, parliamentary secretary to Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, told the House during debate on Thursday.

The Conservative motion asked that Mr. Jean provide the same briefing to committee members that he gave to journalists last month, when he suggested factions within the Indian government may have orchestrated the presence of Jaspal Atwal, who was convicted of attempting to murder a visiting Indian politician on Vancouver Island in 1986, at official events to embarrass the Prime Minister.

B.C. Liberal MP Randeep Sarai initially took responsibility for inviting Mr. Atwal, but Mr. Jean later suggested in a background briefing with reporters that Mr. Atwal’s presence was arranged by people in India who want to prevent Prime Minister Narendra Modi from getting too cozy with a foreign government they believe is not committed to a united India. The Indian government has called the allegations “baseless and unacceptable,” and Mr. Atwal also denied any government involvement.

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland told CTV’s Question Period earlier this month that inviting Mr. Atwal was an “honest mistake,” and his invitation to a second event at the Canadian High Commissioner’s residence in Delhi was withdrawn.

MPs spent much of Thursday debating the motion, with Conservatives and New Democrats speaking in support of calling Mr. Jean to testify.

NDP MP Brian Masse said Mr. Jean could provide clarification on a trip that “has gone off the rails,” adding the Liberals should be ashamed for using public servants as a defence.

“For the Liberals to suggest that the Conservatives are actually doing this as a broader attack on the people who get up every single day to provide services for Canadians is shameful, disrespectful, harmful,” Mr. Masse said during the debate.

In Question Period on Thursday, Mr. Goodale said Mr. Sarai has taken responsibility for issuing Mr. Atwal’s invitation. In defending Mr. Jean, a career public servant, Mr. Goodale said, “He has served this country with distinction his entire lifetime. His only motivation in the public service is defending the national interest of Canada.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-liberal-mps-block-bid-to-have-trudeaus-national-security-adviser/

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Image result for what meme\

HItler...never went to Switzerland, never invaded.  Thought about it with help from Italy but decided ti would be to costly.

Hitler needed Swiss to remain neutral, for other reasons as well.

Some 100 tons of gold was turned into ingots and went to Swiss banks.

Very little had been discovered, I think around 10% or so.

Plus there were thousands of dormant accounts that were opened 1933 through 1945.

Their owners were mostly killed in the camps, plus lot of stolen money went there as well.

Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden etc. were spared for a reason.

22 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Hitler needed Swiss to remain neutral, for other reasons as well.

Some 100 tons of gold was turned into ingots and went to Swiss banks.

Very little had been discovered, I think around 10% or so.

Plus there were thousands of dormant accounts that were opened 1933 through 1945.

Their owners were mostly killed in the camps, plus lot of stolen money went there as well.

Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden etc. were spared for a reason.

Operation Tannenbaum.