The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

rogers cbc new deal

chon derry

Galleries

New

Rogers, CBC ink deal to keep Hockey Night in Canada on CBC until 2026, streaming included

Deal gives CBC rights to digitally stream HNIC games on various apps and websites for length of contract

CBC News Posted: Dec 19, 2017 12:35 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 19, 2017 12:35 PM ET

Hockey Night in Canada, hosted by Ron MacLean and featuring Don Cherry will continue to air on CBC until at least 2026 as part of a new deal with NHL hockey rights holder Rogers.

Hockey Night in Canada, hosted by Ron MacLean and featuring Don Cherry will continue to air on CBC until at least 2026 as part of a new deal with NHL hockey rights holder Rogers. ((Phillip MacCallum/Getty Images) )

8 shares
  facebook-up.png
Facebook

twitter-up.png
Twitter

reddit-up.png
Reddit

plus-up.png
Google

share-up.png

Email

CBC and Rogers have signed a deal that will see Hockey Night In Canada stay on the CBC's airwaves until at least 2026, and permit games to be streamed online and via numerous CBC apps for at least that long as well.

The two sides announced an agreement on Tuesday that expands on a previous deal that saw Rogers produce and broadcast NHL games, airing some of them on CBC on Saturday nights during the regular season, and other days during the playoffs.

This past season, Hockey Night in Canada was the most watched television program in Canada every Saturday night, reaching 18 million Canadians, or 50 per cent of the country's population.

Rogers secured exclusive national broadcast rights for all NHL games in a 12-year deal that began in the 2014-2015 season. The two sides had partnered from Day 1 of that deal, an agreement that was set to expire in June 2019.

But the extension announced Tuesday expands it even more by cementing the current arrangement on the broadcast side and giving the CBC the right to stream all nationally broadcast NHL games on the CBC Sports app, the forthcoming "over-the-top" CBC TV app and on the CBCSports.ca website.

Games will also stream on various Rogers digital streaming properties, but the deal gives the CBC the rights to digitally stream the games until 2026. Those digital rights include the current NHL season, in addition to the seven seasons that follow.

"CBC has been an excellent partner over the years, and we are excited to extend our relationship," Rogers Media president Rick Brace said in a release.

"Hockey Night in Canada is the most celebrated hockey brand in the country and is steeped in tradition. We are committed to working together to ensure it reaches the widest possible audience."

Financial terms of the deal were not released, but the CBC did not pay to have hockey on the network. If the deal lapsed in 2019 as originally planned, CBC would have had to replace more than 300 hours of prime time content to compete against the popular Saturday night (and weekday playoff) hockey games.

•   facebook-up.png  
      twitter-up.png  
      reddit-up.png  
      plus-up.png  
      share-up.png  
      email-up.png  

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

icon_faqComment_current.pngComments FAQ

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I have rogers game centre live and it is a terrible product.

i am trying it for this season and I will not renew.

glitches, lags, and only 36 Canucks games available for viewing.

I got SNnow. Every Canucks game most SNet content for $25 mo. Live streams through chromecast are really good. Replaying games from earlier in the day is only available from your pc and the quality is not great, it freezes and struggles for hd, but I'm satisfied with it.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I got SNnow. Every Canucks game most SNet content for $25 mo. Live streams through chromecast are really good. Replaying games from earlier in the day is only available from your pc and the quality is not great, it freezes and struggles for hd, but I'm satisfied with it.

I have shaw sattilite  during the world series we were getting hosed on games , had to get sn360 which was an additional $10 a month , ?  theres a vacant channel 411 that seems to be a dedicated canucks channel that used to be used and now it isn't? so any additional channels other than the multitude of channels that sportsnet cant seem to separate and show our games is a good thing. glade to hear hnic on Saturday nites continues , not the biggest don cherry fan , and don't know how long he'll remain healthy . but would rather watch him an mclean bicker  on Saturday nites first game intermission than the sn panel.

26 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I plan to look into this when I move out on my own. Don't use TV cable for anything other than Canuck games, so I'm betting it'll be better for me to pass on cable and just purchase this instead.

Geez, some benefits Down Under?

Here in Australia I pay $150 US for the entire season of NHL Centre Ice.  No WJC, college, AHL or junior content. 

But every NHL game, in every market, home of away broadcast, Live or when you want to watch. Playoff's, everything! And the quality is great.

last winter I lowered my dish off the peak of my roof (2 stories) down to the carport roof now I don't have to risk my life sweeping off snow, figures it hasn't snowed enough to have had to sweep it lol.  2 winters ago up on the roof sweeping :picard:  idiot..... 

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I pay $25 for the basic and $10 for the Sportsnet package  $40 a month for every Canucks game....

I'm thinking about getting this setup.  I've been trying to stream and use gamecenter for a couple years now and I'm so sick of the subpar quality, blackouts and just not being able to watch hockey when I want to.

12 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I'm thinking about getting this setup.  I've been trying to stream and use gamecenter for a couple years now and I'm so sick of the subpar quality, blackouts and just not being able to watch hockey when I want to.

I do this and then put my cable on hold for 6 months almost every year. They end up giving you a sweetheart deal usually to come back.  

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

I did not do my due dilligence in a way and it's at my home away from  - split with a leafs fan.

but next year I'll go the SN route for sure.

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I do this and then put my cable on hold for 6 months almost every year. They end up giving you a sweetheart deal usually to come back.  

They caught on to me. Stopped calling with the sweetheart last year. Jerks

That being said. $25 mo for all games and most SN content is an decent deal

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I've certainly done that in the past, and they are always happy to throw deals at you to have you come back! 

Archived