The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hawks interested in Canucks D Michael Del Zotto

Adarsh Sant

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

When does Loui's deal end again?  if he retires early its on there for even longer right?  X_X  (Loui as in Loungo; not eriksson.  should make that distinction)

Below is the salary recapture penalty if Luongo retires early. I don't see how we can take on a bad contract like Seabrooks with this looming over our heads.

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Only the place holder guys, who have real value.  Will MDZ be on our team when the rebuild is complete?  I don't think he will be, so I would hope JB would get value for him to give us more prospects.  

I wouldn't trade Bo or Brock, or the Twins, but I think JB should listen to any offer on every other current roster player.  If the value of the return will certainly make our finished rebuild a better team (or give us a chance at it being better than without the trade) I think JB should make the deal.  To me, it's all about creating a rebuilt team that is the best possible when completed.

So If we trade Del Zotto for an early second, do we then sign Gudbranson or do we fire sale this thang? 

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Gudbranson plays in our bottom pairing and his current deal pays him 3.5 million a year. Not many players his age ask for less then what they currently make. I’m sure his value for himself is higher then what the Canucks want to pay for what he’s bringing to the team. I would guess it’s at least 4 mill a year he’s asking for. The team may contend for a playoff spot earlier but with no playoff expectations however I’m thinking a minimum of 4 years until we could realistically see them compete in the playoffs. That would make Tanev 32. All his injuries gotta be adding up and taking a toll I don’t think he’ll be nearly as effective at age 32 as he is now at 28. The team will have a ton of money this summer to bring the quality and culture of the team back. Boeser is an RFA we have tons of time to build a product around him and we’ll have the salary to meet anything he’ll realistically request.

If he only wants 4 million give it to him! He’s young, and he’s very intimidating when he’s angry. He could get better he’s only what? 24?

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

So If we trade Del Zotto for an early second, do we then sign Gudbranson or do we fire sale this thang? 

Personally, of all our dmen (excepting Tanev) I really think Gudbranson is the only one with an elite tag.  He’s an elite fighter, who can actually still play the game.  Those types of players are becoming more and more rare.  I would only trade any of our guys if the return helps make our completed rebuild a more competitive team.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Personally, of all our dmen (excepting Tanev) I really think Gudbranson is the only one with an elite tag.  He’s an elite fighter, who can actually still play the game.  Those types of players are becoming more and more rare.  I would only trade any of our guys if the return helps make our completed rebuild a more competitive team.  

I agree I think we should sign him unless he wants more then 5m a year. Then trade him to highest bidder. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I love Guddy as much as the next guy but elite? I dunno man. I wouldn't even call him an elite fighter. I hold that to guys like Rypien. The kind of guys that would whoop anyone's ass at any given time. He can fight and play sure, but he's not great at anything. Good fighter, good skater, good defensively. Maybe great in the locker room. Seems like a good guy to have a round. I like his leadership.

3 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

Keep del zotto. Good contract. Good mobility.

True that MDZ can play, but there comes a point in an offer when the return is of more value to our future than the current player is to our present.  I don’t know what that value is though.  

Our left side is pretty deep - we have Pouliot who is a healthy scratch right now, then we have Holm who should be given a chance next season, and then Juolevi the season after that. As for Gudbranson, I really would like to see him re-signed. I think he could be part of the future - he's only 26 and just entering his prime. So trading Del Zotto or even Hutton does make sense. 

10 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Either he can't bear to look into the eyes of Guddy, or Guddy had a little too much garlic before game time, or bracing for impact! 

If my memory serves me right, it went something like this.

What an absolute beating.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not even close to elite. Look I like Gudbranson. Seems like a good team guy. Sticks up for his teammates. Good in the community. A very selfless player and is basically our only player that could be intimidating. I really wanted things to work out with him in Vancouver but he is a dying breed.

From my observations, he has poor foot speed, poor vision and very little puck skills. In the modern NHL, this does not translate to a successful player. He will be a bottom pairing d-man and is worth nowhere near what his agent is asking for.

Benning made a couple mistakes in his first couple years and the Gudbranson trade is one of them. I was cautiously optimistic when the trade was made having not watched many Panthers games but the numbers certainly didn't support the projection of a top 4 defenceman. I wouldn't pay him more than 2.5 million per season which certainly won't get it done. I hope he's moved at the deadline but if he's not, I hope Benning doesn't compound his earlier mistake of trading for Gudbranson by re-signing him to an expensive deal. Better to admit it was a mistake and move on.

Archived