The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hawks interested in Canucks D Michael Del Zotto

Adarsh Sant

10 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly delzotto for Seabrook+ Henri Jokiharju is not that bad of a deal for the hawks. They really need to lose that contract. 

That contract is too long to take on. All of the kids will need to be re upped before that albatross is anywhere close to expiring. 

Canucks need to covet their cap space for the right FA signings following the 2020-21 season. Thats when this team will push. 

20 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly delzotto for Seabrook+ Henri Jokiharju is not that bad of a deal for the hawks. They really need to lose that contract. 

With the uncertainty of the Luongo cap recapture thing looming down the road, no way should the Canucks look to take ona contract like this.

I really like Henri Jokiharju though. I would have loved to see Vancouver draft him in the second round last year if he were there but Chicago took him and instead GMJB was able to make another great pick.   

Isn't one of the ideas for a rebuilding team to sign UFA's, as placeholders, and then trade them at or before TDLs for picks/ prospects in hopes of increasing the number of swings at getting good NHL players out of their prospect pool?  

I really believe that MDZ is a placeholder, so we should trade him if the return makes our prospective future better.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't one of the ideas for a rebuilding team to sign UFA's, as placeholders, and then trade them at or before TDLs for picks/ prospects in hopes of increasing the number of swings at getting good NHL players out of their prospect pool?  

I really believe that MDZ is a placeholder, so we should trade him if the return makes our prospective future better.

Lol you want to trade everyone. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Lol you want to trade everyone. 

Nope.  Only the place holder guys, who have real value.  Will MDZ be on our team when the rebuild is complete?  I don't think he will be, so I would hope JB would get value for him to give us more prospects.  

I wouldn't trade Bo or Brock, or the Twins, but I think JB should listen to any offer on every other current roster player.  If the value of the return will certainly make our finished rebuild a better team (or give us a chance at it being better than without the trade) I think JB should make the deal.  To me, it's all about creating a rebuilt team that is the best possible when completed.

Just now, Alflives said:

Nope.  Only the place holder guys, who have real value.  Will MDZ be on our team when the rebuild is complete?  I don't think he will be, so I would hope JB would get value for him to give us more prospects.  

I wouldn't trade Bo or Brock, or the Twins, but I think JB should listen to any offer on every other current roster player.  If the value of the return will certainly make our finished rebuild a better team (or give us a chance at it being better than without the trade) I think JB should make the deal.  To me, it's all about creating a rebuilt team that is the best possible when completed.

I'm not willing to trust our prospects with defending in the NHL. We need solid defenders in the interim. Losing sucks. I don't understand how people can call themselves fans and be ok with losing.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh like the 2011 team? :lol: They did win a few presidents cups though. :blink:

1 minute ago, Isam said:

Depending on how much salary retained we could make this work, but more futures would have to be involved.

Seabrook would be a good veteran presence to end out his career here. But Chicago has to do a few things for this to possibly happen:

1- Get Seabrook to waive his NMC for a rebuilding team (yes he is a BC baby, lives in Westbank in off season)

2- Take Eriksson back full cap hit

3- retain some salary( this can vary depending on what they add to sweeten the pot)

4- Entice the Canucks with a good prospect & solid pick

If the Hawks meet the above requirements, and we end up moving Gudbranson I would be okay with Seabrook here for 5-5.5m. A virtual swap of Eriksson but we take on a few extra years of contract vs Eriksson.

What I could see:

Eriksson 6m

Gudbranson 3.5m

for

Seabrook 5.875m (Chi retains 1m)

Bouma 1m ( cap related move only if they need to send salary back)

1st round pick 2018 or Jokihara

John Hayden- Depth young guy for us who is versatile W/C

Ville Pokka- RHD finnish prospect

The point people on CDC need to consider is: Canucks are going to lose the Sedins sooner than later. We need to try and build up a quality D, and not let Demko get shellacked when he makes the jump to the NHL. Seabrook would bring a ton to the Canucks, I am not saying go push to get him, but if Chicago actually wanted to move him and they do something like what I wrote above got to consider it.

Seabrook is somewhat tradeable the last 2 years of his deal. Goes from NMC to M-NTC. His salary is lower than his cap hit also. That would be his 38 & 39 yr old seasons.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Don’t even need a great return.

He is replaceable and we need half a season to find out of Holm is an actual player or not.  It is either Del Zotto or Hutton moving out to do that.

Next season someone may well get buried behind Juolevi so it would be good to know what we have.

Replaceable with what? Another bonafide 3 or 4 NHL defender? MDZ is a very solid player and entering his prime.Holm is a minor leaguer. Not even a star minor leaguer at that. OJ is nowhere near NHL ready at this stage. Your reasoning isn't reasonable my friend.

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Replaceable with what? Another bonafide 3 or 4 NHL defender? MDZ is a very solid player and entering his prime.Holm is a minor leaguer. Not even a star minor leaguer at that. OJ is nowhere near NHL ready at this stage. Your reasoning isn't reasonable my friend.

Exactly! if I have to watch the Magma/Kaput show ever again or whatever plug we have inserted over the years I am going to puke. What happened to having and building our "depth"? We seem to be doing a good job by keeping a balance of older and younger players the last couple of years why change the plan now?

Archived