The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Squandered... We gave over 600 billion in equalization payments.

Tired of people complaining about sharing their wealth.

I make pretty decent money and i am very happy to pay my taxes to support those around me that are less fortunate.

When my neighbours have a decent life with food and shelter... it makes my whole community a better place to live for all of us. 

If you are that selfish ... why don't you relocate to a country that does not look after each other ?   Lots of countries to choose from.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tired of people complaining about sharing their wealth.

I make pretty decent money and i am very happy to pay my taxes to support those around me that are less fortunate.

When my neighbours have a decent life with food and shelter... it makes my whole community a better place to live for all of us. 

If you are that selfish ... why don't you relocate to a country that does not look after each other ?   Lots of countries to choose from.

The way things are going Alberta might be it's own country. Apparently sovereignty is at 50%

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The way things are going Alberta might be it's own country. Apparently sovereignty is at 50%

Most canadians are probably tired of Alberta constant cycle of threats, bullying ... TEARS  followed by tantrums.

If your relationship isn't working...... go out the door and don't let it hit you in the butt.... 

Alberta will likely be bankrupt in 20 years ANYWAYS  when the dirty bitumen runs out / demand is gone...  and the province needs all the land remediation due to oil contamidation.  Next to nothing in savings in Alberta....    Such poor leadership in Alberta  squandered all that oil revenue sadly....

Edited by kingofsurrey

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most canadians are probably tired of Alberta constant cycle of threats, bullying ... TEARS  followed by tantrums.

If your relationship isn't working...... go out the door and don't let it hit you in the butt.... 

Alberta will likely be bankrupt in 20 years ANYWAYS  when the dirty bitumen runs out / demand is gone...  and the province needs all the land remediation due to oil contamidation.  Next to nothing in savings in Alberta....    Such poor leadership in Alberta  squandered all that oil revenue sadly....

More nonsense.

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've presented facts, you've just ignored them.  It's not oil for BC, it's bitumen to be shipped out.

This isn't to "help" us here in this province...it's for Alberta.  Keep it real.

You're opinion isn't a fact..  My actual facts presented from the NEB report debunks and rejects your opinion. 

PS you should really learn how important oil is to CANADA, not just Alberta.  it funny because on one page in this thread you got people talking about how it's alberta's right to give over 600 billion in transfer payments for the betterment of canada, and then here you are saying oil only benefits albertans. in 2017, 198,000 jobs outside of Alberta are tied to oil and gas. not to mention that it contributed $170 billion to Canada’s $1.8 trillion gross domestic product (GDP), or just under 10%.  But yes you're right "it's for Alberta"

Just because we're not that bad and others are worse, doesn't mean we ignore the facts.  We have to rethink what we're doing to this planet, quick.  You're quoting from money sources and Calgary reports and that's the angle for the pipeline....$$.   But the flip side is a fact:  we don't want extra tankers (which, for the record, own the responsibility once that crud is loaded...good luck if something does happen) clogging up the narrow in places passageways here. 

I suggest you do some more research because your lack up full understanding is really glaring. You might want to look up the International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds and Canada's Ship-Source Oil Pollution Fund. 

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/liability-compensation-ship-source-oil-spills-4512.html

And that's not even mentioning the $1.5 billion national Oceans Protection Plan

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/oceans-protection-plan.html

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/campaigns/protecting-coasts.html

All provided from another right wing calgary biased source...and by that I mean the government of canada. 

It's a high risk area and we have too much to lose.  I don't care about the other stuff....my focus is on keeping what we have here.  I've seen what Alberta does to land...the oilsands are disgusting and people are getting cancer.  If people there don't care about their backyards I don't expect them to care about mine...but I do.

Oh so you've been to the oil sands? Or perhaps just watched an edited youtube clip instead?  Perhaps you need to do more what the Victoria mayor did and actually visit them.  While she still is committed to reducing emissions she did get a nice eye opener on what the actual sites look like and not what National geographic lies about.

"It was extraordinary. I knew nothing about the sector or very little about the sector," she told the Calgary Eyeopener in a phone interview from Victoria. "I had a certain point of view going in and it was limited, and the whole point of me coming and spending the day was to broaden my mind and broaden my point of view, and that certainly did happen.… There's nothing like actually standing in the field to dispel some of those myths."

You'll be hard pressed to change my mind.  And you've spewed a whole lot of nothing.  Increased traffic IS a concern but mostly at the point of departure where there's little room for error.   Whale watching in a zodiac hardly compares to a super tanker.  Fact.  

Fact, the quote I posted are referencing academic sources, your facebook memes aren't.  IF you want to read the full report have at it. But I doubt you will because like you said, your mind has been made up, no matter what evidence has been provided that proves you wrong.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-14471-0

FTR, I also oppose the huge cruise ships (two just had a minor mishap this week).    But at least it's a risk for BC that benefits...BC.  This pipeline will NOT help us in BC...hogwash.  We've been gouged for years on prices and our neighbours to the East don't give a hoot about helping us here...that's an absolute joke.   We will not benefit from this.  Fact.

Your last paragraph, in particular, is very far from "factual".

I won't waste much time on this because I won't budge.  Albertans telling me this is good for me is laughable.

You realize just because you state something, it doesn't make it FACT.  haha.  I have presents real facts... Your point of view is what is laughable, you are so out to lunch have know idea what you are talking about that i'm almost embarrassed to be having this discussion. You have zero knowledge on the issue but are extremely opinionated and feel you are an expert without having done ANY actual research.  The fact that you could simply ignore and turn a blind eye to the facts I have posted is the perfect example of why there is such a divide.  Your opinion and mind has been made up, and unfortunately isn't not based on actual information, it's based on scare tactics, tactics that got you hook line and sinker. Now even when actual info is presented right in front of you, close your eyes and cover your ears.  Anyways, no point of continuing this on with someone who has zero interested in listening to actual facts..  

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If Berta were to separate, how do you think you'd get a good deal on your pipeline, or anything not made in Alberta?

Landlocked

No NAFTA

No pipeline

Existing pipeline running through the country you scorned and now controls your output.

Like how the hell do Albertans think they'd get those resources out of Alberta? The US would own you guys badly and BC might, maybe give you a slightly better deal.

But let's talk about imports. 

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If Berta were to separate, how do you think you'd get a good deal on.....

F 350's

Chewing Tobacco

Tractor Pull Contest  memorabilia 

Are Albertans prepared to pay more for their staples.....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

F 350's

Chewing Tobacco

Tractor Pull Contest  memorabilia 

Are Albertans prepared to pay more for their staples.....

You forgot Mountain Dew and novelty testicles for their tow hitches.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If Berta were to separate, how do you think you'd get a good deal on your pipeline, or anything not made in Alberta?

Landlocked

No NAFTA

No pipeline

Existing pipeline running through the country you scorned and now controls your output.

Like how the hell do Albertans think they'd get those resources out of Alberta? The US would own you guys badly and BC might, maybe give you a slightly better deal.

But let's talk about imports. 

We would probably sell most the oil to Canada 

51 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That would be an incredibly stupid and short sighted manoeuvre on Alberta’s part. Maybe it’s the costly reality check they need. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We would probably sell most the oil to Canada 

The irony in all this being you’d be more reliant on rail than ever. 

1 hour ago, Jack_T said:

That would be an incredibly stupid and short sighted manoeuvre on Alberta’s part. Maybe it’s the costly reality check they need. 

Actually Alberta would be better off if it were a sovereign nation.

1 hour ago, Jack_T said:

The irony in all this being you’d be more reliant on rail than ever. 

We would but Canada would want oil so it would be a win win I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

It probably is a good idea for AB to implement a Provincial Sales Tax.   Only Yukon and NWT are the other provinces without a sales tax.   

The extra revenue would help.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

So you admit it's not about getting the oil to/for BC...it's about moving it THROUGH BC.  And it's dirty bitumen.  You want to use this as a port of departure without considering the impact it will have here.  How considerate.

That's a nice spin you've tried to put on things while completely ignoring the facts.

You're using BC's need for oil to support something that has little to do with it.  And yes, of course we care about the "what if's" in it all...because it'll be our shoreline that would be impacted.  But keep calm and carry on?  Just ignore the facts?

Besides, BC has concerns about everyone's future, not just the pockets of Albertans.  Climate change is very real and BC has shown to be leaders (at least the population and our thinking as a province) in observing the issues and trying to change.  Things like reducing meat consumption (oh dear, Alberta will be really mad at us) and looking at other options that aren't so destructive to the planet.   This is about $$ to Alberta but it will all matter little if we continue to ruin this earth at the rate we currently are.  It's about being responsible and changing old ways to meet that head on.

I'd rather pay $2.00 a liter and force people (including me) to drive less and think about other options.  

Also, some of the stereotyping and generalizations in here do little prove a point and are unnecessary so they need to stop if the thread is to stay open.  Crackheads and gang members is a little harsh.  Let's keep it to constructive discussion, shall we?   

Ignoring the facts?   And what on earth are you talking about re. the crackheads and gang members while replying to my FACTS?

The NIMBY approach by some in your Province boggles my mind.    You create demand then complain about the provider and then threaten legal action if they don't provide but you insist they only provide to you.    THOSE are the facts.   I don't appreciate the crackhead stuff - keep that to the lowlifes that want to take the discussion there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ignoring the facts?   And what on earth are you talking about re. the crackheads and gang members while replying to my FACTS?

The NIMBY approach by some in your Province boggles my mind.    You create demand then complain about the provider and then threaten legal action if they don't provide but you insist they only provide to you.    THOSE are the facts.   I don't appreciate the crackhead stuff - keep that to the lowlifes that want to take the discussion there.

It wasn't in reference to you...it was a general "don't do that" as I often respond to more than one comment.

We aren't creating demand...we're trying to reduce it.  So putting in a pipeline that doubles capacity isn't part of that or a really forward facing plan.  Fact.

We aren't insisting it's provided "only" to us but, come on, this is nothing about supplying to BC...it's about getting it to overseas markets.  And WE assume all the risk here.  So why should OUR industries be at potential risk (tourism, as noted...fishing,, etc.).   

And the fact is Notley threatened us every which way and now Kenny's doing the same.  So it only seems fair that we fight back...and we are.  The way the Alberta Government has trashed us...I'd never give in to their demands now.  It's been shut it off in a hostage deal from the spoiled brats who only want their way and care nothing about others.  All based on $$.

Imagine if we wanted to run a highway in Alberta through beef country and the Calgary Stampede grounds so we could get to where we needed to?  I'd imagine there'd be some fuss made.

Calling us NIMBY's is more of the same.  "Concerned citizens of our province".  And we have every right to be.   Sorry....I don't recall getting my Prosperity bonus cheque in the mail in the past.  

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

let me guess, the prevailing thought there is "Trudeau made me do it?"

Its a pretty sad statement, you live in a country where AB has thrived beyond almost every place on earth and 50% of you hate Canada enough to leave. Tell me again where the problem is? 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And the fact is Notley threatened us every which way and now Kenny's doing the same.  So it only seems fair that we fight back...and we are.  The way the Alberta Government has trashed us...I'd never give in to their demands now.  It's been shut it off in a hostage deal from the spoiled brats who only want their way and care nothing about others.  All based on $$.

Imagine if we wanted to run a highway in Alberta through beef country and the Calgary Stampede grounds so we could get to where we needed to?  I'd imagine there'd be some fuss made.

Calling us NIMBY's is more of the same.  "Concerned citizens of our province".  And we have every right to be.   Sorry....I don't recall getting my Prosperity bonus cheque in the mail in the past.  

honestly with the string of AB premier's taking jabs at BC there's no other way things could turn out. There's no partnership view at all, never has been. 

• Upvote 1