The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - VANCOUVER VS TAMPA BAY

Where'd Luongo?

13 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think the question some of us are asking is....based on this body of work, do you trust jb to put together the Ufa vets and manage contracts around our future youth?  

Early stages of a rebuild  the mistakes don't really hurt you but once the team is ready to trend up, the room for error gets much smaller.   

I don't know.  I hope he learns how.

I think Benning was hired because of his drafting acumen.  He has done well to date.  I don't think that the Canucks have ever had somebody who could build a team the way Benning is trying.

But like you say, keeping it together long term is another matter. 

Gillis was good at that but hopeless at what Benning can do.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't know.  I hope he learns how.

I think Benning was hired because of his drafting acumen.  He has done well to date.  I don't think that the Canucks have ever had somebody who could build a team the way Benning is trying.

But like you say, keeping it together long term is another matter. 

Gillis was good at that but hopeless at what Benning can do.

Probanly just dreaming but If possible, it would be nice to see Benning as director of scouting and have a GM with a track record managing assets overseeing things.

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I don’t mind moving Vanek and a D man this TDL, I just always gag at the “stockpile picks” line.  It sounds like advocating a fire sale and I think that’s dumb. If you just want to sell Vanek and one D we’re on the same page.  All of Vanek/Guddy/Hutton/Granny and that’s a lot considering the twins are still a huge question mark.  

I also don’t think JB should be specifically targeting picks - they’re all good but I’m fine with prospects or younger serviceable players as well.

I’d much rather try and insulate the young talent as it integrates or buy them time to cook.

That's fine. For me, every player that isn't considered a core player should be available. I would for sure trade Vanek, Guddy, and Hutton for draft picks. Look at a Tanev trade if it makes sense.

Again you can always fill out the roster with cheap FA signings just like we did with Vanek this past free Agency.

To succeed in today's league you have to build through the draft and every pick matters.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

How much did Hank like getting his chicklets knocked out tonight?  He was back out there pretty quickly.  That's tough.

But ya, I see both sides of the argument and am torn both ways.  If they re-sign, I couldn't imagine them playing for more than 1 more year.  I don't see them being useful for more than 1 year.  But when you have to shelter your veteran mentorship group to keep them in the league.....and they're not getting any better

I think, with the Sedin's gone, who steps in?  Given that the options in free agency are likely bleak

Let the true rebuild begin...it won't be pretty to start, however, it can't get much worst than what is happening now.

I think Kane will be a good addition...not a saviour, but a good addition...then pick up a good defenseman if one is available in UFA and trade for some picks and/ or good dmen prospects, then pick the BPA (if they don't get to pick Dahlin). Use their early 2nd and 3rd round picks to pick Dmen (if they don't pick one with their first pick)...the rebuild hasn't started and when it does, it too will take some time.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

stick to just watching hockey

why do you come on this forum?...to talk to people who like to talk about the Canucks...good or bad. 

get with the program...if not, go away and troll somewhere else.

24 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Let the true rebuild begin...it won't be pretty to start, however, it can't get much worst than what is happening now.

I think Kane will be a good addition...not a saviour, but a good addition...then pick up a good defenseman if one is available in UFA and trade for some picks and/ or good dmen prospects, then pick the BPA (if they don't get to pick Dahlin). Use their early 2nd and 3rd round picks to pick Dmen (if they don't pick one with their first pick)...the rebuild hasn't started and when it does, it too will take some time.

You're opening another can of worms.  Kane is trouble imo.   

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

sutter, dorsett, mdz, miller were great veteran pick ups. 

what this team needs are a few more impact players.  not exactly easy peezy to get

I dont think any of them were great pickups.   All were very mediocre and only propoed up our club from 30th to 27th

without them canucks may have had 1-3  first oversll picks 

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I dont think any of them were great pickups.   All were very mediocre and only propoed up our club from 30th to 27th

without them canucks may have had 1-3  first oversll picks 

Or the Canucks may have had 0 first overall picks...

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Trading guys like Vanek, Guddy, and Hutton is burning it down? Are you serious? Every year you see teams trading off UFA's and replacing them with new players in FA.

If we are a true rebuilding team we should be acquiring picks to build for the future. We should be building towards Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat/Demko's prime which is still 3-4 years away.

If you think we are close you are in for a rude awakening. I promise you that. We will be in the bottom for at least another 2 years after this one.

Maybe complaints of a lack of picks in this upcoming draft would be more relevant after the draft is over, where we would have seen the number of selections the team actually made, rather than before where there is still the very real possibility of the Canucks acquiring some more.

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

How much did Hank like getting his chicklets knocked out tonight?  He was back out there pretty quickly.  That's tough.

But ya, I see both sides of the argument and am torn both ways.  If they re-sign, I couldn't imagine them playing for more than 1 more year.  I don't see them being useful for more than 1 year.  But when you have to shelter your veteran mentorship group to keep them in the league.....and they're not getting any better

I think, with the Sedin's gone, who steps in?  Given that the options in free agency are likely bleak

I hate to say it but:  does it matter?

what are we 27th,28th spot with them?  So worse case we fall between that and last without them?  And that may not even happen.

its time to move on.

11 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

It's a free world there champ.  stick to watching hockey

lol...the irony is killing me...lol

...says a guy who tells people on a hockey forum to stop commenting and stick to watching hockey...lol

Archived