The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Debate would you do this?

56 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Pretty sure more then half people on this board said no so maybe it's a fair trade there pretty much guaranteed decent pick as they don't have there pick and Tanev helps mentor there young guys like chabot or Bouchard Boqvist who ever they take and Virtanen Goldy Could look Nice with Duchene and Stone Hoffman and He doesn't think there to far away With White Logan brown Batherson Chlapik Formenton coming up by the way which our all forwards and they can't be bad next year and knows there owner won't pay ek looks like solid deal for both of us they could draft two defence men this draft and have top 10 pick next year which is more than likely with us picking up ek and cap space we have 

One of the best defenders in the league for a bunch of players we have always wanted to get rid of is a good deal for Ottawa? Karlsson is going to be traded for a treasure trove similar to the Duchene deal. You realize there is nothing much left in Ottawa after they trade Karlsson right? They are going to do everything to make this right or re-sign him. Fringe players like Virtanen, Goldobin is not value. 

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

Pretty sure more then half people on this board said no so maybe it's a fair trade there pretty much guaranteed decent pick as they don't have there pick and Tanev helps mentor there young guys like chabot or Bouchard Boqvist who ever they take and Virtanen Goldy Could look Nice with Duchene and Stone Hoffman and He doesn't think there to far away With White Logan brown Batherson Chlapik Formenton coming up by the way which our all forwards and they can't be bad next year and knows there owner won't pay ek looks like solid deal for both of us they could draft two defence men this draft and have top 10 pick next year which is more than likely with us picking up ek and cap space we have 

Those saying no are either stupid (Don't want to be mean or anything but for real) or want to trade those pieces for picks or other fringe prospects that would amount to less than a Karlsson. If that's all they wanted for Karlsson he'd be gone already. 

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol. are you sure your friend is a Senators fan? That trade doesnt even make sense for Ottawa. It looks more like Vancouver scrapping down whatever is left in its barrel of unwanteds. 

How do you protect a top 7 draft pick for a 2019 draft? Looks like something an elementary schooler thought up tbh. 

It's quite simple really... Two GMs agree that the 2019 first for the Canucks is conditional in that when the draft positions are set and the pick is in the Top X than the Canucks has the elective to defer that pick for a future first round draft pick.

It's not that rare in the NHL... In fact Ottawa in the Duchene deal protected their 2018 draft pick to be protected if their pick ended up being in the top 10. Perhaps 7 seems to be a random number but teams have a general idea on how the next future drafts are to be projected and its not too farfetched to think that they would want to protect up to top 7 based on what they feel the top end of the crop of that year to be is...

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Those saying no are either stupid (Don't want to be mean or anything but for real) or want to trade those pieces for picks or other fringe prospects that would amount to less than a Karlsson. If that's all they wanted for Karlsson he'd be gone already. 

You are looking at it wrong. On the Canucks viewpoints the deal is good in a sense that Karlsonn is a hell of a player but it's horrid in the sense that Karlsonn really doesn't round up this team to be a contender... Especially when he's UFA in the 2019-2020 season.

Canucks are looking 2-3 years down the line but a deal like Karlsonn is focusing on the now where our core young pieces are not good enough or seasoned enough.

Plus if the Canucks protect top 7 and we are that bad with Karlsonn in the lineup then the year after where we would have to defer the included pick to the 2020 draft is where Karlsonn has the decision to walk in UFA... if we were that bad with Karlsonn in the lineup then I could only imagine how bad we would be with Karlsonn out of the lineup the year after...

To much risk and quite frankly Canucks aren't going to trade away future first rounders for players especially when they are hosting the 2019 draft.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

One of the best defenders in the league for a bunch of players we have always wanted to get rid of is a good deal for Ottawa? Karlsson is going to be traded for a treasure trove similar to the Duchene deal. You realize there is nothing much left in Ottawa after they trade Karlsson right? They are going to do everything to make this right or re-sign him. Fringe players like Virtanen, Goldobin is not value. 

Wait what did duchene get them ? Let's compare acctually 

Colorado gets lottery protected pick Samuel girard Shane bowers kamanev so top 10 pick maybe if Ottawa improves late first round pick and two second round players

ottawa gets lottery protected could be top 10 pick Chris Tanev proven top 4 defender mentor there young defense Jake virtanen top 10 pick no idea how he could pan out another first round pick In goldobin let's face it the package is not that bad for Ottawa and they know they arnt getting there pick do you think they wanna suck but we will let time tell if there if there package woulda been better than this 

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

A lot of  good defenseman play their best hockey in their early thirties, heck Lidstrom won all his Norris trophies in his.    Visnovsky.  It could even happen to Edler lol.  I'd only do this deal if it came with an extension of course, one year of Karlsson isn't worth it, in fact it's insane.  

Even better just wait until he's a free agent and then do it for nothing but cap space. 

Vancouver does have some things that could interest Karlsson, better weather, nicer city, lower taxes, and of course the Swedish connection with the Sedins recent retirement and the young Swedes breaking in (Elder too).  There won't be a whole lot of options for him with the cap space he's going to eat up, it's not unrealistic to assume that we'd be near the top of the list despite the standings.  The rebuild would leap ahead and Horvat would have a great chance of seeing playoff action before his contract is up.

This would be the best option.

We need a #1D. There may be 3 #1D's becoming available in 2019.

Let us go with the team we have now, get another high draft pick in 2019. Throw a lot of money at Karlsson, Doughty, OEL and hopefully get one to sign with us.

Rebuild complete!

Vision 2020. lol 

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Ottawa could get better value from someone else than that deal though. Honestly. I wish you two were GMs for your respective teams cause this deal would be a huge steal for us. We lose no top prospects (Jake is a pretty solid piece and maybe Cam Neely's in our face), and the pick is protected in the top 7, and a guy most of the fanbase values as a late 1st and a B prospect, AT BEST. The pieces we lose are essentially lottery tickets for Ottawa and we are getting a known quantity. People are scared of his injury history but he played 71 games this season, with the passing of his son (RIP). A feat Tanev achieved once.

Goldy likely doesn't break 70 points in his career. I'd even argue he may never reach more than 60. That's IF he ever manages to make it to the NHL regularly. Jake, in the words of Green, is a good 3rd liner with 15 goal potential. Not the most glowing review from someone that has worked heavily with Jake. The 1st is top 7 protected. Anyone that says no to this deal greatly overvalues prospects, or overvalues our prospects. Tanev is a 2nd pairing D-man. He averaged a hair under 20 minutes this year. Karlsson averaged 26. On that alone it's surprising how often Tanev gets injured. In 30 more games Karlsson had 50 more blocks. This should be an easy yes from everyone on this board unless you really think Karlsson's ankle is a timebomb waiting to happen, which is silly you could literally say the same thing about Jake's shoulder. Or Tanev's brittle bones.

Greene has never said Jake is going to be a 3rd liner who scores 15 goals. Green did say Jake at the starting of the season was about a 3 out of 10. When asked later he said he has turned into a 6. Show me a quote where a coach basically tells a young 21-year-old kid who worked his ass off that hey I want full effort, but you will never be a top 6 player for me and never score 15 goals.

BTW before I wrote this I googled every single article that had both in the same article. Well over a 100. Dating back to his Utica days. So please tell me where you heard such bs?

Then again you also said Tanev is overpaid.

I hate to be that guy who creates an argument. But come on dude.  That is just terrible trolling.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You are calling people stupid because they don't like a certain deal? 

At least they are smarter than someone who makes up a fake story on Green and what he said Jakes ceiling is. You do realize with Google every single-story is out there for the world to read right? Even the optics are flawed. Hey, Jake, you came into camp fat last year. We want you to train like never before so that you can hit your ceiling as a 3rd line player. Ya, that is one hell of a motivational tool. 

Next time you decide to make a statement show proof except in this case. Since the story never actually happened.

12 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I am pretty sure he will be traded for a fortune. As opposed to him being free in the free agency. A deal much like Duchene's will be worked out for him. 

If you were in 30 other teams position. Would you A gut your team to get him now possibly making your team less competitive?

Or B waits a year and sign him for free. The Sens are bent over a barrel on this one. their best bet is to try and improve this year and hopefully convince him to stay.

I can't think of one team that can take on his contract. Afford to give up what the sens would wan't without destroying their team, and be able to sign him to an extension.

Here are  some examples. Buffalo. Certainly could put a package together it would most likely gut them and would have to include someone making big bucks  to keep money for upcoming RFAS Plus I doubt he would resign there.

NYR After unloading at the deadline all they really got back were some very late 1st rounders. They could be players next year when all it will cost is money.

Vancouver We finally have a deep prospect pool. After we get Hughes or bovqist  Plus whatever trades JB mentioned he has up his sleeve EK would be perfect to target in free agency. Personally, I think with how beautiful the city is. The S\wedish culture this team has, plus Ek looks up to the twins like gods. Those factors plus how the team is shaping up might make us one of his top choices. Plus we will have close to 50 mill if the cap goes up again

I think the time to trade EK was at  the TDL Meldick, tried to play hardball with the big boys and got slammed. Now he either takes a lot less. Hopes EK loves the city(not likely) Or completely overpays him.

Just my opinion  Cheers..

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Lol, you live on CDC, not the real world. Real Canucks fans love  Tanev Most only would trade him for a huge overpayment. Jake is turning a corner. IM assuming you are young so google the Cam Neely trade. Goldie has not played one full season  yet. This year according to JB he will. Again you're in a fantasy forum. most real Canuck fans see the Value in the 3 players mentioned. Jake alone may one day be the most important player we have. If he puts as much work into his shot as he did with his conditioning last year. With his speed size and unreal ability to take a rolling pass at full speed and settle it down while pivoting around a defender is just sick. I've seen one other player do that in the last two seasons Mcdavid. When making a  trade especially when you can have him for free next year. Ask yourself. Does this trade make us competitors this year? Compared to saving our assets and getting the guy for free. 

I still think OEL is coming here extension and all. and for like 4-5 mill cheaper then Ek id rather have him.

TRADE WILL NEVER HAPPEN???????? 

WE ARE REBUILDING?????????

Jake 22 in August=== Future is bright 6'1,218lbs, speed.  future 18-25 goal guy

Goldie 22 -- natural goal scorer 

#7 Overall - Dobson or Bouchard #2 D men

Never make the trade, sign a UFA D man....

Absolutely.

Not.

Karlsson is going to be UFA a year later.  We don't need him this coming season, and I'd rather wait and potentially get him the following season for free.

At the end of the day though, I don't think Karlsson is our answer.  We do need a #1 defenseman, but his contract would be an albatross. I mean, if that is what it takes then fine but I wonder if a guy like Carlson could be almost as good for a lot less, or maybe OEL who might be a step down again but would come in at less than half the price of Karlsson.

Archived