The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I can't wait to see him next month in the WJC! I love USA games are here in Victoria this year, I would definitely go to watch him play!

Look forward to hearing your take on our guys at the WJC this year! Big Quinn Hughes fan, the guy is going to change the way the Canucks play perhaps even more so than EP40 and BB6

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

Look forward to hearing your take on our guys at the WJC this year! Big Quinn Hughes fan, the guy is going to change the way the Canucks play perhaps even more so than EP40 and BB6

3 on 3 OTs in the future could end in the first minute if we start with EP, BB and QH.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

2018 is either going to be a very deep draft, or we'll be looking back 5 years from now wondering how he fell to 7th.

Edited by Qwags
Wrong year. Thx @flickyoursedin.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

2017 is either going to be a very deep draft, or we'll be looking back 5 years from now wondering how he fell to 7th.

It was 2018 but I honestly think it will be the deep draft. Guys picked ahead of Hughes have all been trending in the right direction. The only real pick in question in my mind was Arizona taking Hayton.

Edited by flickyoursedin

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I could see both being true. Hughes being top-3 in a very deep draft.

Right now I would go Dahlin, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Svechnikov, Hughes. I do think there is a good chance Hughes moves into that third spot. 

Funny, Sens fans and Habs fans were both angry about passing in Zadina but Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi are both looking great

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hughes with one assist so far, and Michigan leading 1-0.

Nice pass by Hughes for the primary assist:

Going to look good feeding guys like Boeser, Pettersson, Virtanen, Horvat, Goldobin and Gaudette with passes like that....

• Upvote 1

So I guess this game will end in a 1-1 tie. Hughes with one assist. They’ll play 3-on-3 for a 2nd OT (and shootout if needed) for an extra point in the standings, but the game still gets scored a tie, and any goals scored in 2OT don’t count in the stats (weird NCAA).

Typical Michigan game for this season. Outshot and outchanced MSU, dominated possession, and only came away with a tie. At least the goalie didn’t let them down this time. But Michigan led 76-40 in shot attempts and 36-18 in SOG, and still only one goal scored through 65 minutes.

I can only imagine how many assists Hughes would have if his forwards were converting at a higher rate this season.

EDIT: headed to shootout (Hughes and Lockwood failed on their attempts)

And MSU takes the extra point in the fourth round of the shootout.

Final tallies after 2OT: shot attempts: 80-42, shots on goal: 40-19

Shame that Michigan doesn’t get more on the scoreboard the way the tend to dominate games. But that’s no fault of Hughes.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

Hughes stars offensively, up-and-down defensively against Michigan State

Sunday, December 2, 2018 - 6:54pm

eaa.HKYvsMSU.12.1.18.1383.Bailey.jpg?ito

Sophomore defenseman Quinn Hughes tallied three assists on Friday night. Buy this photo

Evan Aaron/Daily

BAILEY JOHNSON

Daily Sports Writer

Michigan coach Mel Pearson often says Quinn Hughes is worth the price of admission alone.

The sophomore defenseman — the No. 7 overall pick in the 2018 NHL Draft — seems to have an eye-popping play in every game for the No. 14 Michigan hockey team. Whether he’s dangling the puck between a defender’s legs on a breakout or finding a teammate in the perfect spot for a goal, Hughes’ dynamic playmaking is key for the Wolverines.

In this weekend’s series against Michigan State, Hughes continued his trend of offensive production. As more of a two-way defenseman than a lockdown blueliner, Hughes is noted for his ability in the offensive zone.

In Friday night’s game at Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing, Hughes notched three assists — one on each goal Michigan scored for a season-high tally. It’s his second three-assist game this season and the third time he has scored three points in a night.

“It’s hard to prepare (for Hughes) because it’s not that it’s unorthodox, (but) he’s very creative,” said Michigan State coach Danton Cole. “He attacks you at different angles. He puts you on different things. You just have to be aware of him and you try not to get him loose. Quinn’s very good with the puck, and his feet are outstanding, and you throw an elite brain in there. … He’s fun watching play, and he’s hard to keep an eye on.”

The Spartans seemed to keep a better eye on Hughes on Saturday night as he tallied just one point. But it was a big one.

On the power play in the first period, Hughes sent a pass through all four of Michigan State’s penalty killers and found senior defenseman Nick Boka in the left circle. Boka’s slapshot beat the sprawling goaltender Drew DeRidder, and Michigan took the lead, 1-0.

“(Hughes) made an amazing pass,” Boka said. “I was just lucky to be in that far side and just try to get it to the goal, and lucky enough, it went in.”

Hughes now leads the Wolverines in points with 19 — two more than sophomore forward Josh Norris. His offensive production ranks ninth in the nation overall and ranks third among defensemen.

But on the defensive side of the ice, Hughes’ production hasn’t been as consistent.

In Friday’s game, he was on the ice for three of the Spartans’ four goals and he ranks last on the team in plus-minus with a minus-six rating.

“It is what it is,” Hughes said Friday.“Obviously, I don’t want to be on the ice for any goals, but I’ll go watch the tapes and I’ll look at it tomorrow. Hopefully, tomorrow, I can maybe have the three assists without being on the ice for any goals.”

While Hughes only had one assist Saturday, rather than the three he hoped for, his defensive skills were more prominent.

Late in the third period, the game was tied at one goal apiece. It seemed that at any moment either team could break the stalemate and win the game. Michigan State forward Tommy Apap was coming down the right side of the ice toward freshman goaltender Strauss Mann with just Hughes in between. Hughes skated in and broke up the play, preventing Apap from having a chance at the game-winning goal.

Minutes later in overtime, Hughes again prevented a goal, this time by poke-checking the puck away from forward Patrick Khodorenko.

“Hughes had a really solid game,” Pearson said. “He gives you everything he has, plays a lot of minutes and is a game breaker. He’s a difference maker. He’s worth the price of admission. You don’t have to be a hockey genius to walk in the building and see really who the best player is, the player who controls the play.”

While Hughes controlled the play Saturday, it came in contrast to his defensive performance Friday. Michigan as a whole was stronger defensively Saturday night, and Hughes’ increased effort may be the key.

Pearson has spoken numerous times this season about needing defensive commitment and consistency, and Saturday’s performance may well serve as a confidence boost for an often-maligned defense. The Wolverines held Michigan State to just 18 shots in regulation.

And while Hughes has lit up the stat sheet offensively, his defensive commitment has taken longer to come through.

But if he finds that consistency, it could be a difference-maker for Michigan.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/hughes-starring-offensively-and-down-defensively?fbclid=IwAR0n80e19EoasHAHDxj4d1HlPtJ06Nhmy8CyNh8jSkTu4Z_SZoLEJoNhLJk

• Like 1