Opening lineup:

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser 

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson 

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner and Goldobin/Leipsic spares.

Gaunce and Archibald waived.

(And that's without any injuries.)

Should Dahlen and/or Gaudette earn spots either in camp/throughout the season, they'll have injury call ups and/or any combination of Gagner, Granlund, Baer and possibly either/both of Goldobin/Leipsic traded or waived. 

None of the guys signed this summer are blocking anyone. In fact, they'll be playing the hard minutes and situations that will afford these kids easier usage to hopefully, succeed. 

So both Goldobin and Leipsic waived and Gaudette doesn’t make team but they’re not blocking anyone? Could not disagree more. But maybe you think those guys are the foundation of the team, where I think the foundation are the good young players with offensive upside.

1 minute ago, Watchincanucks said:

So both Goldobin and Leipsic waived.

Not what I posted at all. And no, Beagle, a 4th line C is not blocking the likes of Goldobin who needs to play top 6 W...AT ALL

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not what I posted at all.

Well explain to me how Gaudette and Dahlen make the team. Without them making the team you already have to trade Gagner, and Goldobin/Leipsic 13 th forward. Then you’ve got to get rid of 2 more. So now Benning has to make 3 trades to get them in or waive players, which will get claimed. Boucher will also be claimed imo. That’s not including what they do if they sign Hughes. That means at least 1 more defenceman gets traded. Like I said he better get trading now, cause if he has to make 4 trades after camp we are getting nothing in return.

3 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Well explain to me how Gaudette and Dahlen make the team. Without them making the team you already have to trade Gagner, and Goldobin/Leipsic 13 th forward. Then you’ve got to get rid of 2 more. So now Benning has to make 3 trades to get them in or waive players, which will get claimed. Boucher will also be claimed imo. That’s not including what they do if they sign Hughes. That means at least 1 more defenceman gets traded. Like I said he better get trading now, cause if he has to make 4 trades after camp we are getting nothing in return.

No, you don't 'have to trade Gagner. I have him as 13/14 and one of Leipsic/Goldobin as 13/14 (the other would be in the starting 12). Assuming both those guys earn it. Nobody 'has' to be traded.

If either both Gaudette/Dahlen make the team, THEN you start looking at moving guys like Gagner (and/or Granlund, Baer etc)

Boucher likely clears. And if he doesn't, I'm not losing sleep over it. As do Archibald, Gaunce and Biega in all likelihood.

And yes, if we sign Hughes AND he earns a spot in Vancouver and not Utica, we'd have to waive or trade one of MDZ, Hutton or Pouliot. Again, not losing sleep. This is the cost of improving.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Either way Gagner or a defenceman needs to be traded and Boucher Archibald Kero Biega waived, and that is without Gaudette making the team. Yet people are saying Gaudette Pettersson and Boeser will be enough to keep people excited, and we need to make 2 trades to get Gaudette in the lineup. Just so you know roster limit is 23. 14 forwards 7 defenceman and 2 goalies. Have 8 defenceman signed already plus 17 forwards. Those numbers don’t include Pettersson Dahlen Gaudette Hughes Juolevi. What if Demko makes the team too? Another trade needed!

Edited by Watchincanucks

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Opening lineup:

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser 

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson 

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner and Goldobin/Leipsic spares.

Gaunce and Archibald waived.

(And that's without any injuries.)

Should Dahlen and/or Gaudette earn spots either in camp/throughout the season, they'll have injury call ups and/or any combination of Gagner, Granlund, Baer and possibly either/both of Goldobin/Leipsic traded or waived. 

None of the guys signed this summer are blocking anyone. In fact, they'll be playing the hard minutes and situations that will afford these kids easier usage to hopefully, succeed. 

Pettersson played the vast majority of this past year on the wing. What makes you think he'll start at center? And the quotes from Green are next to irrelevant until he actually see's him on the ice at camp. If he feels the same after that, then it holds more weight.

Green liked Gagner last year. He put Boeser with him when Horvat was down and he was a staple on the 2nd powerplay unit, which improved greatly from the year before. I don't think it's very likely at all that he'll be scratched.

How is scratching one of Goldobin/Leipsic good for their development? They've both paid their dues in the AHL and now just need the chance to prove it in the NHL. Putting them in the press box isn't a good situation for either of them.

Also, I don't think it's likely that we go with 14 forwards. We usually carry 8 defensemen.

Even without all that, let's say Gaudette makes the team out of camp. How are you making room for him?

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Screw the projections....we were a playoff team at Xmas time last year and we played and won games like a playoff team the last 10 games of the season...

With the kids we have coming in we will be a playoff team this year unless we have even more 1st liner's out than last year....!

Screw it...we were tied for first last year before game 1!!!!!

WOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

Either way Gagner or a defenceman needs to be traded and Boucher Archibald Kero Biega waived, and that is without Gaudette making the team. Yet people are saying Gaudette Pettersson and Boeser will be enough to keep people excited, and we need to make 2 trades to get Gaudette in the lineup. Just so you know roster limit is 23. 14 forwards 7 defenceman and 2 goalies. Have 8 defenceman signed already plus 17 forwards. Those numbers don’t include Pettersson Dahlen Gaudette Hughes Juolevi. What if Demko makes the team too? Another trade needed!

So what?  Some guys will earn spots out of camp and some won’t.  

Worst case scenario we lose one of our fringe guys on waivers.  Boo hoo.  

Long term it doesn’t really matter if Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi or whoever are 4th liners on the Canucks or getting prime minutes in Utica and coming up mid-season when injuries start to pile up or someone slumps hard enough to get waived.

There is no problem.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Not a lineup I like but what I see is likely opening night

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser

Baertschi-Pettersson-Virtanen

Eriksson-Sutter-Gagner

Roussel-Beagle-Granlund

13th forward Schaller or Granlund or Gagner

Archibald-Boucher-Goldobin-Kero-Motte 1 game requires waivers

Edler-Tanev

Stetcher-Gudbranson

Hutton-Pouliot

Del Zotto-Biega

Hughes-Juolevi

So without Gaudette we need to waive Goldobin and we lose him for sure. So tell me again how Gaudette gets in the lineup without a trade? Also let’s say Juolevi  Hughes Dahlen Gaudette Pettersson Goldobin Leipsic all make the team, which is not out of the question, who gets traded? We would need to trade 3 forwards and waive Biega and trade Del Zotto or Hutton. Also need to waive Boucher Kero Archibald. Motte would require waivers after 1 game also, which would mean our return for Vanek was basically nothing. Since Beagle is untradeable that means we need to trade Gagner, Granlund and Baertschi or Sutter. None of this is going to happen!!! So yeah Beagle is blocking young players because we have to trade better players than he is to make room if young players make the team. Sutter could be 4th line centre, that is probably where he belongs, but Granlund could too.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

So what?  Some guys will earn spots out of camp and some won’t.  

Worst case scenario we lose one of our fringe guys on waivers.  Boo hoo.  

Long term it doesn’t really matter if Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi or whoever are 4th liners on the Canucks or getting prime minutes in Utica and coming up mid-season when injuries start to pile up or someone slumps hard enough to get waived.

There is no problem.

You’re missing my point. I said he is bad at asset management and he needs to start making trades now!!! Not when he has no leverage for a descent return.

Just now, Watchincanucks said:

You’re missing my point. I said he is bad at asset management and he needs to start making trades now!!! Not when he has no leverage for a descent return.

Ah, I see.  

Yeah, it would be nice if they could move out maybe 1 D and 1 waiver-eligible forward for a pick or maybe a 2 for 1 to thin the ranks a bit...

but it takes two to tango and I don’t think a lot of teams are lining up for our fringe guys.  We’ll see!

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It comes from people (media) trying to figure out why Hughes hasn't signed yet.  Benning said he wants to sign him.  Hughes said he wants to play in the NHL.  C'mon boys, sign already!

The speculation is that Hughes doesn't want to play in Utica.  Benning won't guarantee Hughes a spot on the Canucks (nor should he).  So the best alternative for Hughes would be to go back to college.

There is absolutely nothing in it of course.  It's completely fictional.  It's only a "could be"

So it’s summer and we have nothing better to do.  Cool. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pettersson played the vast majority of this past year on the wing. What makes you think he'll start at center? And the quotes from Green are next to irrelevant until he actually see's him on the ice at camp. If he feels the same after that, then it holds more weight.

Green liked Gagner last year. He put Boeser with him when Horvat was down and he was a staple on the 2nd powerplay unit, which improved greatly from the year before. I don't think it's very likely at all that he'll be scratched.

How is scratching one of Goldobin/Leipsic good for their development? They've both paid their dues in the AHL and now just need the chance to prove it in the NHL. Putting them in the press box isn't a good situation for either of them.

Also, I don't think it's likely that we go with 14 forwards. We usually carry 8 defensemen.

Even without all that, let's say Gaudette makes the team out of camp. How are you making room for him?

Eh Boss, why so bossy about Pettersson as a center?

Unless you have been under a rock, you would know many people are considering Pettersson for wing including Travis Green. 

So, while Pettersson did mainly play wing in the SEL, what makes you think that he can’t play center?  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

With the events of the past 24 hours, the likelihood (imo) of Quinn Hughes being signed has gone from 60% to 80%.

As was said today:

Hughes has an agent?? He must be ready to sign if this is true

sorry HW it didn’t quote Dhaliwal  tweet as part of my response

482B20B1-210F-411F-8E85-3D746125139C.jpeg

Edited by sonoman

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

We might see a trade or 2, but I don't think a proper assessment can be made until the team gets together at training camp.  Everyone will be working hard to make the team and there should be interesting lines and matchups.  Some may surprise and others may show surprising chemistry.  We may even see some of the waiver exempt players get sent down to Utica until JB is able to deal with players that aren't staying in Van (I'm talking about anyone who may have some value).

4 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

So now we are carrying 14 forwards and 7 defenceman, meaning we need to trade a defenceman, and waive Biega.

I don't know where you're getting the 'trade a defensemen', but yes, otherwise that's what would happen. 

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Tanev

Pouliot, Gudbranson

Hutton

7 D. 

If Hughes makes the team, you move one of MDZ/Hutton/Pouliot.

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Because management sees him as a C and we don't have a lot of choice short him splitting C duties with Gagner (quite possible) or perhaps putting him on a line with Boeser and letting him (surprisingly capable) take draws. Though I don't see the latter as an option this soon. 

As for where Gagner plays, imo the 'third' players on the lines will rotate up, down, in and out of the lineup as chemistry, injuries, slumps etc dictate. Relatively 'fixed' players imo:

Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson

Roussel, Sutter 

Schaller, Beagle 

Did I say it was good for their development to be scratched? If they want to play, better show up so some other schmuck gets scratched. It's called competition. This isn't grade school sports day where everyone gets a turn and a ribbon. And there's ALWAYS injuries. 

Well barring trades, I'd say the reality of the situation dictates 14 F.

If Gaudette makes the team you move the lowest guy on the totem pole he beat out for a spot. This really isn't that complicated. 

3 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

Aaaah asset management, that old chestnut. If one of the fringe guys gets beat out or can't beat out the likes of Gagner, I'm not REMOTELY worried about waiving their ass. Neither should you be. Or do you still dearly miss Norris D man, Corrado? 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Eh Boss, why so bossy about Pettersson as a center?

Unless you have been under a rock, you would know many people are considering Pettersson for wing including Travis Green. 

So, while Pettersson did mainly play wing in the SEL, what makes you think that he can’t play center?  

The fact that he played the vast majority of this past year as a winger. The fact that when he moved up from the Allsvenskan to the SHL, in increase in quality of competition, he got put on wing. The fact that it's been more than a year since he's played there for an extended period of time. The fact that the last time he did was in Sweden's second tier, which isn't remotely comparable to the NHL. 

More than that, I think putting Pettersson at center next year would highlight his weaknesses (literally) and hide his strengths. He would get outmuscled by bigger players down low in situations where it matters defensively. It also gives him less leeway offensively as he has more responsibilities to worry about in his own end. If he plays wing next year, he would have more offensive freedom and less defensive responsibilities. That way, when he does get outmuscled, it won't mean as much defensively as it will likely be in the offensive zone. Let him have fun and play to his greatest strength next year, which is creativity in the offensive zone, rather than throwing him to the wolves defensively in his first year in the NHL. 

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying Pettersson can't play center, just that he shouldn't play center next year. If it were up to me, I'd play him as a winger for his first two seasons and then try him at center in his 3rd year after he's established. If his point totals dip due to the increased defensive responsibility, then we might get a cheaper deal as his ELC expires. If they don't, well who's complaining. 

• Upvote 2