The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Don’t think that size is really a need for Quinn.

NO.

He's Philip Larsen.

Must stay in college until he reaches 6' 195 and can bench 225x12.

Something I find interesting.  Aside from Botchford, people that actually KNOW hockey (because they play, coach, or manage it) say he's NHL-ready.  It's largely the media and fan "expertz" that say he should go back to college.  I suspect if this were Toronto, the hype would be over the moon with universal predictions of winning the division with guaranteed ROY-calibre studs Hughes, Pettersson, and Gaudette in the lineup this season.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Don’t think that size is really a need for Quinn. I also don’t think it helped Orr either. The physical play Orr engaged in actually cut his career short. Had he not blown out his knees so much there would be no debate on who the best player in NHL history was. I would put Orr in his prime against any

other player in their prime.  Orr would take it hands down. 

I agree if he gets to big it might just slow him down as well as make him try to be more physical...which might be detrimental to his health alright.

Quinn's whole defensive game is positioning, skating and stick work (stealing pucks)...he doesn't seem to need to be bigger....he just let's the guy think he has him beat until he realizes he has a clear path to the net....but no puck....

I am hoping for Will Butcher type first year from him and then the sky is the limit...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I agree if he gets to big it might just slow him down as well as make him try to be more physical...which might be detrimental to his health alright.

Quinn's whole defensive game is positioning, skating and stick work (stealing pucks)...he doesn't seem to need to be bigger....he just let's the guy think he has him beat until he realizes he has a clear path to the net....but no puck....

I am hoping for Will Butcher type first year from him and then the sky is the limit...

Quinn is way better than Will Butcher.  Quinn Hughes will be our best D man the moment he plays his first shift.  He is a very uniquely gifted player, who will lead us to Cups. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Quinn is way better than Will Butcher.  Quinn Hughes will be our best D man the moment he plays his first shift.  He is a very uniquely gifted player, who will lead us to Cups. 

Your right...even though Will did get 44 points in 81 games ...that would be the minimum I expect from Quinn.....50 in 80 games might be closer to the real minimum....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Your right...even though Will did get 44 points in 81 games ...that would be the minimum I expect from Quinn.....50 in 80 games might be closer to the real minimum....

Don't forget that Will didn't play in the NHL until he was 22 years old, and he was HEAVILY sheltered on the Devils blue line last year. He got to play on the top PP unit but was a 5th / 6th defensemen during even-strength play. I watched his stats closely since he was one of my pool picks.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Quinn will be better than Butcher when he's 22 no doubt. But to say he will be our best Dman the moment he steps on the ice is not only ridiculous, it's an unfair bar to set for him as he most certainly will not meet it. 

He's a talented kid with incredible skating and poise for his age, but he's not going to instantly step into the league this season and be a top tier defender. He has a lot of development still to come, especially on the defensive side of the game.

I personally think he goes back to Michigan for one more season, has a dominant year that's huge for his development and then comes in to the league at nearly 20 a lot better equipped to become a force. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Quinn will be better than Butcher when he's 22 no doubt. But to say he will be our best Dman the moment he steps on the ice is not only ridiculous, it's an unfair bar to set for him as he most certainly will not meet it. 

He's a talented kid with incredible skating and poise for his age, but he's not going to instantly step into the league this season and be a top tier defender. He has a lot of development still to come, especially on the defensive side of the game.

I personally think he goes back to Michigan for one more season, has a dominant year that's huge for his development and then comes in to the league at nearly 20 a lot better equipped to become a force. 

To think Quinn Hughes is not already our best D man is to ignore his unique talents.  He will prove very quickly he is not only our best D man, but that he’s the best in the league.  JB stole the best players in the last two drafts.  

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

To think Quinn Hughes is not already our best D man is to ignore his unique talents.  He will prove very quickly he is not only our best D man, but that he’s the best in the league.  JB stole the best players in the last two drafts.  

You're clearly off your meds. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

You're clearly off your meds. 

Alf is right about EP being the best player in that draft.... that will be evident when EP outscores Nico this year....let alone the 52 points Nico had last year as a rookie....just watch...!

Quinn has to compete with Dahlin...who will be given every chance and tonnes of playing time from Buffalo....so if he makes it to best in this draft it will take 2-3 years minimum to find out.

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Alf is right about EP being the best player in that draft.... that will be evident when EP outscores Nico this year....let alone the 52 points Nico had last year as a rookie....just watch...!

Quinn has to compete with Dahlin...who will be given every chance and tonnes of playing time from Buffalo....so if he makes it to best in this draft it will take 2-3 years minimum to find out.

I don't disagree that EP has an excellent chance to be the best player from his draft, however we should probably revisit that in 10 years after most top picks have had a chance to actually establish themselves in the league before we crown someone king. 

Quinn has to compete with Dahlin along with many many other great players that will come from the 2018 Entry Draft. It's absolutely ridiculous to label anyone (even Dahlin) as the best player from a draft that occurred this year.

I don't know why we're in such a rush to decide who was the best player from the latest few drafts, before the majority of picks have even step foot in an NHL game. Do we as Canucks fans have so little to celebrate about?

If we're being reasonable we can say that Brock was an incredible late first-round pick, and our prospect pool looks better than it has in a long time (maybe ever), but flat out stating that we won the last few drafts based on 0 NHL time played for most of these guys is nuts. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I don't disagree that EP has an excellent chance to be the best player from his draft, however we should probably revisit that in 10 years after most top picks have had a chance to actually establish themselves in the league before we crown someone king. 

Quinn has to compete with Dahlin along with many many other great players that will come from the 2018 Entry Draft. It's absolutely ridiculous to label anyone (even Dahlin) as the best player from a draft that occurred this year.

I don't know why we're in such a rush to decide who was the best player from the latest few drafts, before the majority of picks have even step foot in an NHL game. Do we as Canucks fans have so little to celebrate about?

If we're being reasonable we can say that Brock was an incredible late first-round pick, and our prospect pool looks better than it has in a long time (maybe ever), but flat out stating that we won the last few drafts based on 0 NHL time played for most of these guys is nuts

...until it isn't....

Would you rather we state that we lost the last 2 drafts...?

You are entitled to your opinion....calling other people's opinions nuts.....is nuts....!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

What happens if Pettersson scores less than 50 points? Are you going to label him a bust? Because that's more likely than him scoring 90 freaking points which no rookie since Crosby has done. 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Also, EP, is not the best player in that draft. That goes to Nico Hischier. We wont know whos the better for another few years.

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...until it isn't....

Would you rather we state that we lost the last 2 drafts...?

You are entitled to your opinion....calling other people's opinions nuts.....is nuts....!

Per my post "if we're being reasonable we can say that Brock was an incredible late first-round pick, and our prospect pool looks better than it has in a long time (maybe ever)" 

I'd rather people be excited without definitively claiming that with absolute certainty we have won the last two drafts. It's silly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What happens if Pettersson scores less than 50 points? Are you going to label him a bust? Because that's more likely than him scoring 90 freaking points which no rookie since Crosby has done. 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Also, EP, is not the best player in that draft. That goes to Nico Hischier. We wont know whos the better for another few years.

I don't know why people keep saying stuff like "are you going to call him a bust" ....that is not me....if he scores 30 points I wouldn't call him a bust....I would just sit and wait for the world to end...because that is just as likely as EP only getting 30 points in 80 games..

As to the Bolded above...you are contradicting yourself in the very same sentence...you say that "goes to NIco", then "We won't know who's the better for another few years"

That doesn't make any sense....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I don't know why people keep saying stuff like "are you going to call him a bust" ....that is not me....if he scores 30 points I wouldn't call him a bust....I would just sit and wait for the world to end...because that is just as likely as EP only getting 30 points in 80 games..

As to the Bolded above...you are contradicting yourself in the very same sentence...you say that "goes to NIco", then "We won't know who's the better for another few years"

That doesn't make any sense....

yikes, what i meant to say as of right now, Nico is definitely the best player in the draft. Whether he stays that in the few years remains to be seen.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Per my post "if we're being reasonable we can say that Brock was an incredible late first-round pick, and our prospect pool looks better than it has in a long time (maybe ever)" 

I'd rather people be excited without definitively claiming that with absolute certainty we have won the last two drafts. It's silly. 

...Again, it is our opinion ...if you think it's silly, i can't help you with that but if you want to wait 2-3 years and if I am wrong you can point that out and I will say something like;

I guess I was wrong....first time for everything...!

However I don't believe you will get the chance to do that....because like always (until proven different) I believe I am right and my batting ave. is pretty much 100% so far...

with Bo, with Stetcher, with Hutton, with Brock and soon to be with Jake (watch for a breakout year this year).

I have no fear of being wrong....

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Benning: We'll make room if Hughes signs.

Hughes:  I want to play in the NHL this season.

We can all see where this is headed.

Pretty much.  Canucks want him to sign, he wants to sign.  Only snag really is if Quinn is convinced by others that he should go to Michigan.