The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

No I think the opposite. Benning and Co. want to see Hughes play at the Canucks training camp. If Canucks thought he might be college bound they would have told him to sign with Michigan. 

A lot of decisions will need to be made at camp and a lot of it has to do with how prepared our players are during camp. 

This is the first time in a long time that we have to depth to force good competition for a lot of spots on the team. Whoever deserves to be on the team will be on the team.

Hughes will not be gifted anything but IMO he will sign with Vancouver and spend the season between Utica and Vancouver. Also he will be a big part of Utica winning the Calder Cup 

He doesn't need to "sign" with Michigan genius. He's already enrolled there he just heads back when Wolverines camp/classes start. 

Hughes won't be at training camp unless he's signed a professional contract. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Weisbrod-approved.

That sigh before the fist pump also says a lot about the significance of this pick. 

It was a sigh of relief that regardless of falling again in the Draft Lottery by one spot, and unable to move up on draft day, they still managed to get Quinn. Canucks were fortunate to get the player that they coveted.

Even in the behind the scenes video you see Benning proclaim his excitement for the pick, and Judd reaffirms that testament.

I think it’s fair to say that the scouting staff is very excited right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

He doesn't need to "sign" with Michigan genius. He's already enrolled there he just heads back when Wolverines camp/classes start. 

Hughes won't be at training camp unless he's signed a professional contract. 

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

That sigh before the fist pump also says a lot about the significance of this pick. 

It was a sigh of relief that regardless of falling again in the Draft Lottery by one spot, and unable to move up on draft day, they still managed to get Quinn. Canucks were fortunate to get the player that they coveted.

Even in the behind the scenes video you see Benning proclaim his excitement for the pick, and Judd reaffirms that testament.

I think it’s fair to say that the scouting staff is very excited right now. 

Yeah, but they shouldn't have been handing out smart food until after the draft.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

No I think the opposite. Benning and Co. want to see Hughes play at the Canucks training camp. If Canucks thought he might be college bound they would have told him to sign with Michigan. 

A lot of decisions will need to be made at camp and a lot of it has to do with how prepared our players are during camp. 

This is the first time in a long time that we have to depth to force good competition for a lot of spots on the team. Whoever deserves to be on the team will be on the team.

Hughes will not be gifted anything but IMO he will sign with Vancouver and spend the season between Utica and Vancouver. Also he will be a big part of Utica winning the Calder Cup 

IMO having Utica back east is a positive if he chooses to go pro. Great location for development. I agree with you that having him work between the AHL and NHL would work. It comes down to personality and what drives Hughes. If he decides in another NCAA year then so be it. Playing with his brother has to be a fun bonus. Would love to see both brothers in a Canuck uni.    

19 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I believe Jim Benning was also pretty impressive as a teenager. 71 points in 71 games in the WHL as a defenseman at just 16 years old... Then at age 17 he had 139 points in just 72 games.....

Excellent point. So many of us forget how impressive Jim Benning was as he came into the NHL. As usual the TO Laffers did a good job of screwing his development. Benning has seen all sides of the NHL game and if anyone should know the challenges faced by a young prospect it is him. To an extent he and Desjardin were on the same page as they saw slow and steady development as key without undue pressure. This is a tough challenge in a market that oversimplifies the process into a 'hurry up' return to CUP play.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Excellent point. So many of us forget how impressive Jim Benning was as he came into the NHL. As usual the TO Laffers did a good job of screwing his development. Benning has seen all sides of the NHL game and if anyone should know the challenges faced by a young prospect it is him. To an extent he and Desjardin were on the same page as they saw slow and steady development as key without undue pressure. This is a tough challenge in a market that oversimplifies the process into a 'hurry up' return to CUP play.  

So true.  1yr developing in college or Utica has zero effect on the Canuck's contender timeframe.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So true.  1yr developing in college or Utica has zero effect on the Canuck's contender timeframe.

Yeah ultimately the next year for Quinn Hughes is important only for Quinn. He should play where he feels comfortable and has the opportunity to gain strength, home his skills, and build confidence. It’s very likely that he could do that in NHL, AHL, or Michigan. It’s a big moment in his life to decide where to go, but for us fans? It’s pretty inconsequential. Quinn seems like the type of kid confidence and hockey understanding will allow him to grow as a player no matter where he plays, this next year doesn’t really impact us fans much at all (besides the short term gain of watching him play). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

The debate really is will Quinn Hughes play for us in September or in March? He's going to play this season. Just a matter of when not if.

Unless he leads Michigan to the Frozen Four Championship! Which I think we'd all be happy to see considering him and Lockwood would win! Plus it would save us a year of their ELC's and make our future cap situation a little easier!

• Upvote 1

If it's taking this long to decide then he might as well return to NCAA.  We'll have Pettersson and Dahlen(at some point) to watch this year and this allows him to work on strength and conditioning, which he'll have ample time to do in College.   

• Cheers 1

Send him back to college, there is no reason for him to play on a crowded blue line in Van next year. 82 games with Vancouver travel is a lot especially coming from college. If he does go pro I hope they keep him in Utica for most the season and give Juolevi a real chance to play. There will be a great group of kids in Utica this year, I also like Ryan Johnson and Cull running the show down there.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

If it's taking this long to decide then he might as well return to NCAA.  We'll have Pettersson and Dahlen(at some point) to watch this year and this allows him to work on strength and conditioning, which he'll have ample time to do in College.   

And Gaudette, Juolevi and maybe Demko...

On 2018-07-22 at 11:27 AM, Boudrias said:

Benning has allot in common with Billy Bean. Both were young phenoms that weren’t developed properly. 

Both became scouts and worked their way into GM positions. 

I like that JB isn’t some smarmy lawyer, that he is at his core and player scout. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I was just remembering how Bobby Orr used to dismantle the Canucks...I was lucky enough to see it in person as well as on the tube and it was something to behold...

Orr's rushes up ice usually started with a slick 360 to beat the forechecker and just like Quinn he would seem to just "glide" away from the check and just like Quinn he would beat someone else up the ice and having drawn at least 2 guys away from there checks ...he would have an open team mate to dish the puck too.

It really is the closest I have seen to anyone being able to beat a whole other team....the only thing Quinn is lacking in the comparison is size and the time to prove it.

He will get the time to prove it...I hope he gets the size...then LOOK OUT ...it's flight time....

Don’t think that size is really a need for Quinn. I also don’t think it helped Orr either. The physical play Orr engaged in actually cut his career short. Had he not blown out his knees so much there would be no debate on who the best player in NHL history was. I would put Orr in his prime against any

other player in their prime.  Orr would take it hands down. 

• Upvote 2