The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

46 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

So how about that Jett Woo fella, having a pretty dang good D+1 season

Would love for him to turn out as a Dan Hamhuis. Similar build, defensive first d-men who can throw hits and pop 25-30 points a year as a top 4 dman. 

Hughes-Woo or maybe Joulevi-Woo? Count me in. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I had no issue with Bouchard at the WJHC, I thought he was fine and better than Dobson, who I think is hugely over rated.  Bouchard's skating isn't elite, but it's not horrible either.  His passing, however, is top notch.

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Welcome to your opinion.   I thought Dobson was miles better during that tournament...in every facet of the D game.   Interesting how people can see different things from same game.

Cheers

You’re both wrong because Ty Smith was the best d-man for the Canadians at the tournament. 

Or maybe you’re both right? Idk

anyways, ty smith is better than both Dobson and bouchard

8 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

You’re both wrong because Ty Smith was the best d-man for the Canadians at the tournament. 

Ty Smith is up there with Dobson IMHO.    

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ty Smith is up there with Dobson IMHO.    

Both can skate great but I like ty smith because I think he’s a better puck carrier. I think being able to carry and hold onto the puck is one of the most important skills in hockey so I put a lot of value in that

22 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Smith>Dobson>>>>>Bouchard

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Smith>Dobson>>>>>Bouchard

Can’t wait for bouchard to become a real good defensemen that every oilers fan hates because he’s still not nearly as good as Dobson and smith who were both still on the board when he was drafted. 

Im going to laaauugh and laugh and laugh.

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im going to go with the opinion of NHL scouts over you, no offense. 

You can go by almost year old draft rankings if you like (a lot of which are tilted to NHL readiness/size/'risk' FWIW). Sure.

But that also kind of ignores their 2/3 of this year of play.

Even then, some had Bouchard further down their rankings.

Cam Robinson had Dobson at 6, Smith at 12 and Bouchard at 15. Hockey Prospect had Dobson at 5, Bouchard at 10 and Smith at 17 (far too low IMO). Draft Analyst had Smith 8, Dobson 12 and Bouchard 15...etc.

FWIW, my personal rankings had Dobson 5 (lower risk than Smith), Smith 10 and Bouchard at 12. Though personally I'd have been hard pressed not to select one of the forwards ranked around there (Farabee, Veleno, Kout, Kravstov etc) or trade down to the late teens and grab Miller (+) instead. Haven't been a fan. 

Edited by aGENT

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You can go by almost year old draft rankings if you like (a lot of which are tilted to NHL readiness/size/'risk' FWIW). Sure.

But that also kind of ignores their 2/3 of this year of play.

Even then, some had Bouchard further down their rankings.

Cam Robinson had Dobson at 6, Smith at 12 and Bouchard at 15. Hockey Prospect had Dobson at 5, Bouchard at 10 and Smith at 17 (far too low IMO). Draft Analyst had Smith 8, Dobson 12 and Bouchard 15...etc.

FWIW, my personal rankings had Dobson 5 (lower risk than Smith), Smith 10 and Bouchard at 12. Though personally I'd have been hard pressed not to select one of the forwards ranked around there (Farabee, Veleno, Kout, Kravstov etc) or trade down to the late teens and grab Miller (+) instead. Haven't been a fan. 

https://www.eprinkside.com/2018/10/8/the-great-young-hope-bouchard-out-to-prove-himself-in-the-nhl

Until they can show they can play at the NHL level, this junior stuff isnt a tell all. Look at Pouliot. Woo could end up being better at the NHL level then some of the guys meantioned, stay tuned. 

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.eprinkside.com/2018/10/8/the-great-young-hope-bouchard-out-to-prove-himself-in-the-nhl

Until they can show they can play at the NHL level, this junior stuff isnt a tell all. Look at Pouliot. Woo could end up being better at the NHL level then some of the guys meantioned, stay tuned. 

I never declared anyone a finished story or closed book.

As of right now, 2/3 the way through their D+1, Smith>Dobson>>>Bouchard

30 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The Bouchard bashing wreaks of insecurity.  87 points in 67 games last year, on the same pace again this year.  This board creamed there pants for Juolevi and his 47 points with a lineup that included Marner, Tkachuk etc.  

Saying bouchard is not as good as smith and Dobson =\= bouchard bashing. If anything it’s a huge compliment to Dobson and smith. 

Bouchard will probably be the oilers #1 d-man one day and will probably have a very long and productive career. That doesn’t mean there aren’t better defensemen who were taken after him. 

Kinda like how saying Pettersson is better than Hischier doesn’t mean your bashing hischier, it means you’re praising pettersson

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

"He's slow, has red flags, doesn't have the ability for the next level"  I'll consider it bashing for now

Man where are these quotes from? Going back three pages and I can’t find anyone saying this? Yeah I see people saying his skating isn’t NHL ready but that’s not the same as what you’re quoting? Even the people being quite critical of him (I believe @Rob_Zepp would be one of these posters. correct me if I’m wrong, Rob) will tell you that Bouchard is a very good hockey player at the CHL level.

Just a lot of people, pro scouts included, feel smith and Dobson are better. Saying that Bouchard is “Miles from the NHL” or “doesn’t have the foot speed to be the top guy at the WJC” isn’t  bashing. You know who else isn’t NHL ready? Jett Woo. But everyone is very high on a him anyways because they know he can improve in the areas he struggles. It’s the same with Bouchard, just I feel there were better defensemen on the board when he was selected. 

Calling legitimate criticisms “bashing” shows more insecurity than anything posted in the last few pages on this topic does. 

Edited by The_Rocket
Typos

4 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Man where are these quotes from? Going back three pages and I can’t find anyone saying this? Yeah I see people saying his skating isn’t NHL ready but that’s not the same as what you’re quoting? Even the people being quite critical of him (I believe @Rob_Zepp would be one of these posters. correct me if I’m wrong, Rob) will tell you that Bouchard is a very good hockey player at the CHL level.

Just a lot of people, pro scouts included, feel smith and Dobson are better. Saying that Bouchard is “Miles from the NHL” or “doesn’t have the foot speed to be the top guy at the WJC” isn’t  bashing. You know who else isn’t NHL ready? Jett Woo. But everyone is very high on a him anyways because they know he can improve in the areas he struggles. It’s the same with Bouchard, just I feel there were better defensemen on the board when he was selected. 

Calling legitimate criticisms “bashing” shows more insecurity than anything posted in the last few pages on this topic does. 

Evan Bouchard is an excellent CHL player and will likely have a decent NHL career.   What I am not certain of is if he will have a really good NHL career due to his wheels.   To the point, yes Bouchard is miles from NHL ready but of course so is Woo miles away and even further than Bouchard.   Woo will be at least three more years in the oven.   IF the next braintrust in Edmonton has any sense, they will let Bouchard have at least a full AHL season or two to get a sense of the pro game speed.   Woo will be WHL for at least one more year and then likely two in AHL.     Woo is also not a first round touted pick.

Bouchard was a reasonable pick for Edmonton trying to replace the concept of Justin Schultz but they should have picked Smith or Dobson if they wanted more instant gratification.

• Upvote 1

I was pretty much alone on the Ty Smith train last year :lol:

Guy had the best offensive season by a WHL defenseman in the last 10 years while also being among the leaders in defensive metrics in the CHL but there was just no hype around him for some reason. Must have been his size. 

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was pretty much alone on the Ty Smith train last year :lol:

Guy had the best offensive season by a WHL defenseman in the last 10 years while also being among the leaders in defensive metrics in the CHL but there was just no hype around him for some reason. Must have been his size. 

It was tough with guys like Bouchard who was putting up outrageous numbers, Hughes who was just so dynamic and Smith also had an underwhelming u18 (shouldn't matter). There were so many great in that draft, Smith was the safest pick of them all. 

Other than dahlin haha

Edited by cyoung