The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo was on my all name team and on my list of guys that I hoped would drop to our second rounder.  

Wilde and Miller were the other two, Miller is really exciting and Wilde might be a little too wild off ice.  

Woo was under the radar as his injury and the teams subsequent moves to shore up their d while he was injured went along way to hiding his potential.  

I am.not surprised that he is having such a good year.  The guy is a stud d man.  Hughes is other worldly but Woo is the pick I was most excited about.  Our future top pairing found in the same draft.  Awesome.

Yup. those were the two I had as well. 

Hughes       Woo

First pairing of the future.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo was on my all name team and on my list of guys that I hoped would drop to our second rounder.  

Wilde and Miller were the other two, Miller is really exciting and Wilde might be a little too wild off ice.  

Woo was under the radar as his injury and the teams subsequent moves to shore up their d while he was injured went along way to hiding his potential.  

I am.not surprised that he is having such a good year.  The guy is a stud d man.  Hughes is other worldly but Woo is the pick I was most excited about.  Our future top pairing found in the same draft.  Awesome.

Really wish we'd nabbed a late 1st and got Miller too. Kid's a stud.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We can't draft all the players...  The rangers need all the help they can find.  Woo is going to be perfect for this market.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

He was one of my faves! Even at the draft I felt he had a chance to be one of the best dmen of the draft class. He was already a kid that looked fantastic but had only played the position for 2 years. He can only get better with time as he understands the position as well as developing his skill set and big project able frame. I wanted to trade up to get him which likely would have cost us our 2nd (Jett Woo) and either our 3rd (Tyler Madden) or our 2nd this year to get it done. Playing percentages on players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds becoming significant players I definitely would have done the trade if it was available.

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

He was one of my faves! Even at the draft I felt he had a chance to be one of the best dmen of the draft class. He was already a kid that looked fantastic but had only played the position for 2 years. He can only get better with time as he understands the position as well as developing his skill set and big project able frame. I wanted to trade up to get him which likely would have cost us our 2nd (Jett Woo) and either our 3rd (Tyler Madden) or our 2nd this year to get it done. Playing percentages on players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds becoming significant players I definitely would have done the trade if it was available.

Another really good thing about Miller is that he can play forward too.  

Great pick by the Rangers.  I would he willing to move some really assets to grab a player like him.  As for who will be better, Miller vs Woo, hard to say.  Woo is tearing the WHL apart right now and getting stronger as the season progresses.  

TC made a mistake keeping him off their roster IMO, but what else is new.  

Madden and Woo looks pretty outstanding atm and Woo is going to be an absolute hit in this market.  

I bet that JB had Woo ranked alot higher than the second round.  

One rant.... drafting percentages are not definitive and do not replace good scouting.  

Woo was a sleeper and was underrated due to his injury.  The difference between a top second and bottom 1st is not significant.  

Since becoming our GM JB has hit more picks than missed IMO.  The McCann pick is likely his worst so far.  Since being picked the only thing Woo didn't get was selected to TC.  He is very young and is only.gettong better. 

There is no garuantee that JB didn't have Woo ranked higher than others, like Hughes, like EP40, like Boeser, like Demko, like Gaudette etc...  playing the percentages will only go so far.  True depth research takes time, eyeballs and a thorough background.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 3

Phat fingers.. "The McCann pick is likely his worst so far."

I agree totally.  As far as first round expectations that is.... I mean, wasn't Debrincat choose just after?  Again hindsight is 20/20, but overall Benning has been very productive so far.

Edited by Rodishred