The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

32 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

but you could get a top-pair defender down the road.

I like Seider as well, but there are a few D who could become top pairing defenders (Harley, Broberg, Soderstrom etc) I think he would add some excitement to the roster. This big, mysterious German dude who skates like the wind. He would be perfect with Hughes, as he`s more of a defensive Dman. The way he skates though, he could easily jump up in the rush create some offence. Good zone exits. I would be okay of they drafted Seider at #10, as long as Dach or Cozens aren`t still available.  

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

10 OA for Trouba would be great.  Imagine Trouba and Hughes as our top pair for the next decade.  Just wow. 

I would do that trade but Trouba would have to come with a max extension or willing to sign one with the Canucks. I thought he wanted to go to an American team though.

Edit: for a UFA young RH big scoring D what is the price? Usually one would say a roster player, a 1st round pick, and a good prospect. In this case the Canucks have a high 1st round pick so you may be able to drop the prospect part of the equation. So then would the Jets take the 10th overall and Tanev (with some salary held by the Canucks to help the Jets cap wise) for Trouba (if he signed a max 7 year contract with the Canucks)??

That is very interesting.

2nd edit: my mistake - it looks like Trouba still has one more year on his contract. I definitely would not do the trade without an extension signed.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would do that trade but Trouba would have to come with a max extension or willing to sign one with the Canucks. I thought he wanted to go to an American team though.

Edit: for a UFA young RH big scoring D what is the price? Usually one would say a roster player, a 1st round pick, and a good prospect. In this case the Canucks have a high 1st round pick so you may be able to drop the prospect part of the equation. So then would the Jets take the 10th overall and Tanev (with some salary held by the Canucks to help the Jets cap wise) for Trouba (if he signed a max 7 year contract with the Canucks)??

I guess the last guy of Trouba's level (at a similar age)  to be traded would be Seth Jones.  He returned a good center, but nothing more.  I believe Nashville didn't get enough for Jones, but maybe Trouba's value is about the same, considering Trouba being a rental?  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some good options. I know the Canucks need D as well, but there will be plenty of D in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to choose from.

In order of preference:

_____ - Pettersson - Dach

_____ - Pettersson - Cozens

Zegras - Pettersson - Boeser

Krebs - Pettersson - Boeser

Boldy - Pettersson - Boeser

_____ - Pettersson - Podkolzin

This is exactly the order in which I’d like the Canucks to pick a forward with Dach at the top. Big skilled fast Center that could move to Petey’s wing to create space for him and Brock for years to come. But as most have said highly doubtful that’s he’s still available at 10. I can definitely see a team like LA or Detroit to take him. But Quinn fell to us last year so anything is possible. Cozens is the best player to ever come out of the Yukon and is a heart and soul player that resembles Bo. Let’s hope that post draft lotto luck falls in our favour as it did last year and in 2017.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess the last guy of Trouba's level (at a similar age)  to be traded would be Seth Jones.  He returned a good center, but nothing more.  I believe Nashville didn't get enough for Jones, but maybe Trouba's value is about the same, considering Trouba being a rental?  

Trade looks bad for the preds in hindsight , but Jones wasn’t the player he was today back then . Also johansen was a upcoming young Center with star potential , just didn’t work out that way .

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

2nd edit: my mistake - it looks like Trouba still has one more year on his contract. I definitely would not do the trade without an extension signed.

That's not the price for a UFA.  Only thing you pay for UFA is a late round pick.  Like a 4th. So you get first dibs at negotiations before all other teams can make offers. 

Makes zero sense to pay an exorbitant price for a UFA. You just sign him for free on July 1st. 

AlsoTrouba is RFA. He does not have another year left on his contract.  Needs to be extended this summer..

• Cheers 1

I wonder if Benning actually wants Soderstrom. Projected to be the best mobile RD in the Draft, and the Canucks really need more (and better) RDs. Benning recently alluded to that successful teams in the playoffs have mobile Dmen, and then went on to say that they (the Canucks) have work to do. Maybe Benning`s more recent comment about liking a mid-round Dman (Seider? Harley?) was to take attention off Soderstrom, which not many seem to be talking about these days. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Benning actually wants Soderstrom. Projected to be the best mobile RD in the Draft, and the Canucks really need more (and better) RDs. Benning recently alluded to that successful teams in the playoffs have mobile Dmen, and then went on to say that they (the Canucks) have work to do. Maybe Benning`s more recent comment about liking a mid-round Dman (Seider? Harley?) was to take attention off Soderstrom, which not many seem to be talking about these days. 

Anything's possible I suppose.

But JB has never struck me for one second to be the kind of guy to use 'slight of hand' or 'indirection' to pull one over on anyone.

In fact, if you ask me, he's utterly too honest/to the point sometimes when you know for a fact that many other GM's are all about 'playing games' before events like the draft or UFA season or TDL. 

JB's just not a 'manipulator' imo - in the bigger picture that's a good thing imo. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Didn't JB try a guy just like Soderstrom in Philip Larson a couple years back?  Plus, JB passed over another Soderstromesque player in Liljigren.  Not a chance JB takes that Soderstrom guy.  It's far more likely that Broberg and Seider, and Harley, and York go before Soderstrom.  I see that guy falling big time, just like Littlegren did.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

so has Seider:

So, just how did Seider get so good? His natural athleticism and fantastic work ethic are two big factors, but another one that doesn’t get discussed enough about him is his playing environment.

Adler Mannheim, his DEL team, had eight players on its 2018-19 roster that previously played games in the NHL, including a couple guys with Stanley Cup rings in Andrew Desjardins and Ben Smith. It should also be mentioned that these were primarily guys who made it to the NHL because of their hard work and determination, not their natural skill. With more than 1,000 combined games of blue-collar NHL experience in Mannheim’s locker room, one can easily assume that Seider learned a lot about the training and discipline needed to play in the NHL. That’s a huge advantage that not all 2019 draft prospects received, including some who played professionally in Sweden, Finland, or Russia.

When you look at the big picture of what Seider offers, it’s easy to become enthralled by his raw upside and potential. He might not excel at any one thing, but there’s just so much to like here, with regards to both his physical abilities as well as his mental approach to the game. Worst case scenario, you get a third-pairing defenseman who can do a little bit of everything. Best case scenario? It’s no guarantee, as his long-term development would need to be handled perfectly, but you could get a top-pair defender down the road.

I think his worst case scenario is he becomes a Colton Parayko type player. A strong 3/4

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I wouldn’t give up a tenth overall without an extension. That’s not worth it given the stage the team is at. We’re not making a run for the cup. We need youth that stays here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think his worst case scenario is he becomes a Colton Parayko type player. A strong 3/4

Wait... what? Colton Parayko is a #1 caliber defenseman. The only guy projected to become as good as Parayko is Byram and he's slated to go top 5. Colton Parayko is nobody's "worst case scenario", unless you're talking about a guy like Dahlin.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Any player who's worst case scenario is he ends up a Parayko would go top 3 in the draft.  Parayko is a top pair Dman.

If that's his worst case scenario then what's his mid point, Pieterangelo? 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn’t give up a tenth overall without an extension. That’s not worth it given the stage the team is at. We’re not making a run for the cup. We need youth that stays here.

That's a given. 

No GM going to give up top 10 pick ++ for one year of Trouba and have him walk as UFA. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't JB try a guy just like Soderstrom in Philip Larson a couple years back?  Plus, JB passed over another Soderstromesque player in Liljigren.  Not a chance JB takes that Soderstrom guy.  It's far more likely that Broberg and Seider, and Harley, and York go before Soderstrom.  I see that guy falling big time, just like Littlegren did.  

Didn’t really pass on Liljigren (laffs picked him at 17OA)  Larson was a project that didn’t work.  Soderstrom could still be a good pick for the right side. I know a certain furry alien likes Seider( more size), but will he be available at 10? :P 

Edited by sonoman

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Trouba is a rental.  His value is measured as such. 

Unless he agrees to extension as part of trade negotiations. Then obviously his value goes up. 

I can see JB trying to pull off a trade and sign deal. Depends on Trouba willing to extend. Otherwise no deal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

You may be right. Soderstrom has slipped a bit in the rankings and isn`t as big as Broberg or Seider, but he`s a great skater and has a high hockey IQ. He drafted a guy like that last year. I`m not sure who I prefer from the D. Probably Broberg or Seider, because the D is a little undersized. Quinn needs a solid defensive Dman as his partner. Maybe Woo will be that guy one day?  

• Upvote 2