Bieksa

Scneider

Markstrom

Hansen

Biega

Demko

Edler

etc.

All righty, how many of these guys were top 10 draft picks that were considered to have elite potential? Annnnnnd scene. Besides we all know goalies develop differently from forwards and d-men. Once again, point refuted.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

I'd like to see us take a flyer on Albin Grewe in the 2nd round 

Me too, I thought he was really noticeable during the U18 (in a good way). Plays a feisty, gritty game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Fine, I'll play the game. 

All righty, how many of these guys were top 10 draft picks that were considered to have elite potential? Annnnnnd scene. Besides we all know goalies develop differently from forwards and d-men. Once again, point refuted.

Most elite talent "usually" goes straight to NHL on most teams just like our elite guys did. (Utica/AHL is not an Elite development league. Elite talent was gifted to these players way before AHL time...

(EP 40, Boeser, Bo, Hughes, Sedins, Bure Linden, etc.)

Crosby

Malkin

Ovechkin

Mackinnon

Tavares

Marner

Matthews

Barzal

Aho

Mcavoy

Kane 

Toews

Monohan

Tkatchuk x 3

Hall

Seguin

Patrick

Svechnikov

Larkin

Kotkaniemi

Yzerman

Sakic

Lindros

Mcdavid

Eichel

Hishier

Heiskanen

Dahlin

Stamkos

Laine

Thornton

Scheifele

etc. etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

Are there good comparables for the Top 15 or so? I've heard certain draft eligibles have been compared to some of the games better players. What are thoughts? Not going to include Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, or Turcotte. What's the point? We won't get them.

Cozens - ?

Krebs - Ryan O'Reilly

Podkolzin - ?

Zegras - ?

Broberg - Alex Edler

Caufield - Alex Debrincat

Soderstrom - ?

Boldy - Milan Lucic

Newhook - ?

Harley - ?

From Dobber: A list of 3-10 from most ideal to least ideal situations for each player:

Matthew Boldy, RW | USNDP

Strengths: Great vision, formidable puck battler, fast and deceptive release paired with a strong wrist shot

Weaknesses: Foot speed

Ideal Selection: Colorado Avalanche

Least Ideal Selection: Anaheim Ducks

While the Ducks would surely be happy to acquire a player of Boldy’s skill level, Colorado’s tactical forward corps seems like much more of an appropriate fit for the Boston College commit. As @soboleskih noted in my intra-Dobber consultation, the Avs are keen to draft and develop “all-situation” players, a term that exemplifies Boldy quite well.

Bowen Byram, LD | Vancouver Giants, WHL

Strengths: Supreme offensive confidence, calm/easeful puck handling

Weaknesses: Offensive tunnel vision could make for a rocky transition

Ideal Selection: Chicago Blackhawks

Least Ideal Selection: Vancouver Canucks

With Quinn Hughes eyeing the top role on Vancouver’s left point for the foreseeable future, it would be difficult for Byram to carve a very similar role for himself in the same locale. The Blackhawks, on the other hand, have a near bulletproof right shot trio in the pipe with Henri Jokiharju, Adam Boqvist and Ian Mitchell prepared to begin taking over. Ideally, they’d have a player with a similar skill level lining up opposite at least one of them in the future.

Dylan Cozens, C/RW | Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

Strengths: Lethal one-timer, clean strong puck handling, speed that catches defenders by surprise

Weaknesses: Honestly, not much. I can’t even expand on that.

Ideal Selection: LA Kings

Least Ideal Selection: Chicago Blackhawks

The Yukonian is a perfect fit for the retooling LA Kings. His seemingly natural offensive ability is simply an added bonus to the 200-foot game that Cozens brings on a nightly basis. While the Hawks would surely love to have him, the support they already have from developing center, Dylan Strome is a sufficient crutch for now, truth be told, I don’t really think Cozens would be a less than ideal fit anywhere.

Kirby Dach, C | Saskatoon Blades, WHL

Strengths: Top speed, excellent transitional player (gets pucks deep), plays physically in all zones

Weaknesses: Full effort isn’t always there

Ideal Selection: Anaheim Ducks

Least Ideal Selection: Detroit Red Wings

The Wings’ immense depth at center automatically eliminated any pure centers from how I allocated draftees. For that reason they’ll probably end up picking one anyway. That’s beside the point of this article though. Dach fits the mold of Anaheim’s consistent development model and brings a boatload of skill and physicality to the center ice position, not unlike veteran Ryan Getzlaf.

Peyton Krebs, LW/C | Kootenay/Winnipeg Ice, WHL

Strengths: Works well in tight spaces, shares the puck, finds open ice, grinds hard when it’s necessary

Weaknesses: Lacking in top speed

Ideal Selection: Edmonton Oilers

Least Ideal Selection: Buffalo Sabres

With the ultimate one-two punch down the middle in Edmonton, the Oilers have been craving a left-winger to complement their top-6. Krebs’ motor and puck retrieval skills would complement the Oilers’ elite skill quite well. Watching Krebs don an Oilers uniform at the draft in Vancouver just might feel like finally finding the perfect fitting puzzle piece that you’d lost under the table. Buffalo has greater needs than a player of Krebs’ skill set, but ending up there certainly wouldn’t have a major negative impact on his value.

Vasili Podkolzin, RW | SKA St. Petersburg, MHL

Strengths: Aggressive on the puck, 110% effort on the rush

Weaknesses: Tunnel vision

Ideal Selection: Detroit Red Wings

Least Ideal Selection: Edmonton Oilers

The Oilers have already reached deep into the pool of talented right wingers on draft day in the past. This year, Detroit would do well to add a talented player of Podkilzin’s skill-set and background. The organization (and Steve Yzerman) have typically had success luring and developing Russian prospects and in this case it just seems like a great fit.

Alex Turcotte, C | USNDP

Strengths: Top-notch edgework, smooth puck handler, nifty and deceptive shot

Weaknesses: Sometimes plays a little too loose

Ideal Selection: Buffalo Sabres

Least Ideal Selection: LA Kings

Buffalo has struggled to find the next top-6 center to fill their depth chart needs in addition to Jack Eichel. After a disappointing rookie campaign, Casey Mittlestadt will aim to justify his prior hype. In the meantime, though, it couldn’t hurt for the Sabres to return to the well that is the US National Development Program for another kick at the can. LA, similar to Detroit, has substantial depth at the center position, and Turcotte just doesn’t have the size that the Kings seem to target with a lot of their draft picks.

Trevor Zegras, C/LW | USNDP

Strengths: Confident puck controller, takes creative lanes to avoid neutral zone congestion, unselfish despite high skill level

Weaknesses: Plays a high risk style at times

Ideal Selection: Vancouver Canucks

Least Ideal Selection: Colorado Avalanche

Zegras plays a style of hockey that seems like it would complement the Canucks’ offense perfectly. His speed and skill would complement any team’s top-6, but the Canucks have proven to be a lush ground for development in that area.

To conclude, it’s important to remember that some of these players may even drop out of the top-10. The truth is that NHL scouting teams have far more resources and accessibility to these players than we do as independents. If that happens, consider it a minor red flag. Based on multiple evaluations, this group of players has been deemed to be among the same tier of players, so what is left unknown to us could be all the difference.

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/the-journey/the-journey-the-curious-case-of-three-to-ten/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

For the Canucks, least ideal: Byram, most ideal: Zegras.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

From Dobber: A list of 3-10 from most ideal to least ideal situations for each player:

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/the-journey/the-journey-the-curious-case-of-three-to-ten/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

For the Canucks, least ideal: Byram, most ideal: Zegras.

I appreciate the guy's effort, but (IMO) the most ideal guy for is is the highest ranked player left on JB's list.  I really don't think JB should consider a player's fit into the current lineup as a draft reason in round one.  Always just take the guy who is highest on his list. 

As for Zegras, I'm not a fan of this player.  Watched him for some time now and see too much of a perimeter guy.  

38 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Most elite talent "usually" goes straight to NHL on most teams just like our elite guys did. (Utica/AHL is not an Elite development league. Elite talent was gifted to these players way before AHL time...

(EP 40, Boeser, Bo, Hughes, Sedins, Bure Linden, etc.)

Crosby

Malkin

Ovechkin

Mackinnon

Tavares

Marner

Matthews

Barzal

Aho

Mcavoy

Kane 

Toews

Monohan

Tkatchuk x 3

Hall

Seguin

Patrick

Svechnikov

Larkin

Kotkaniemi

Yzerman

Sakic

Lindros

Mcdavid

Eichel

Hishier

Heiskanen

Dahlin

Stamkos

Laine

Thornton

Scheifele

etc. etc. etc.

Very true with forwards, but not so true with D men.  It's almost the opposite with D men.  (Although, maybe those days are fading too?)

• Cheers 1

Thanks for sharing the listing Ossi.

I find it odd that he would say Boldy is ideal for COL, considering they won't get him. They have the 4th, and Boldy isn't good enough to be taken so high. COL also has a 16th I believe, so maybe Boldy will hang around until then? Maybe not. I kind of laugh at all of these rankings from the so-called experts. I noticed that Broberg dropped in the MYNHLDRAFT site, to #15. Don't they realize he'll be the 2nd best Dman in this draft? They've also got Krebs at #12.

Zegras isn't my first choice at all, but he does play a feisty, annoying game. He's also very skilled with the puck, elite passer. A little bit like Marchand I suppose, without the dirty work. He could be a thorn and possibly real good in the playoffs one day. But I think the Canucks should go with Broberg is he's there. I believe he'll have more impact for the Canucks than any of those forwards lingering around #10 (Cozens, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, Newhook)

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very true with forwards, but not so true with D men.  It's almost the opposite with D men.  (Although, maybe those days are fading too?)

Makar 

Fabro

Hughes

Mcavoy

Sergachev

Heiskanen

Dahlin

S. Jones

Hanifin

Chychrun

Ohlund

Housley

S.Stevens

Jim Benning

Werenski (played 7 AHL games)

etc.

You are right though. The hardest one is Goalies by far.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate the guy's effort, but (IMO) the most ideal guy for is is the highest ranked player left on JB's list.  I really don't think JB should consider a player's fit into the current lineup as a draft reason in round one.  Always just take the guy who is highest on his list. 

As for Zegras, I'm not a fan of this player.  Watched him for some time now and see too much of a perimeter guy.  

I think it's about where is the most ideal landing spot for the player not which is the best player for the team.

Impact Player (they shouldn't draft a 2nd line forward with the #10, but that's what I see in Krebs, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy and Newhook) I would also include Podkolzin as an impact player, but who knows with Russians, he may not stay in NA, if he gets here at all (too risky).

Dach

Turcotte

Broberg

Caufield

Soderstrom

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Impact Player (they shouldn't draft a 2nd line forward with the #10, but that's what I see in Krebs, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy and Newhook) I would also include Podkolzin as an impact player, but who knows with Russians, he may not stay in NA, if he gets here at all (too risky).

Dach

Turcotte

Broberg

Caufield

Soderstrom

All those guys you mentioned could very easily slide into a top line role. And lets be real, Soderstrom and Broberg could very easily be 4/5 d-men which is the equivalent of a 2nd line forward. You make it sound like getting top 6 player, even if a 2nd liner, is a bad thing with the number 10 pick. We should count that as a win if any of these players can play top 4 defense or top 6 forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Are there good comparables for the Top 15 or so? I've heard certain draft eligibles have been compared to some of the games better players. What are thoughts? Not going to include Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, or Turcotte. What's the point? We won't get them.

Cozens - ?

Krebs - Ryan O'Reilly

Podkolzin - ?

Zegras - ?

Broberg - Alex Edler

Caufield - Alex Debrincat

Soderstrom - ?

Boldy - Milan Lucic

Newhook - ?

Harley - ?

Boldy has insane dangles and vision. Definitely not a Lucic comparable. I always felt

Cozens-Getzlaf

Krebs-Skinner

Podk-Laine

Zegras-Giroux

Broberg-Edler

Caufield-Debrincat

Soderstrom-Ellis

Boldy-Wheeler

Turcotte-Bergeron

Now these of course are playing styles and high ceiling outcomes. I don’t think every player becomes this comparable.

Edited by flickyoursedin