The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, Screw said:

I would go full dump at TDL because:

Sutter's spot filled by Guadette

3 potential d spots filled next year by OJ, QH and Tryamkin possibly. 

Yeah for me it’s trade Tanev, Edler, Granlund, Del Zotto and maybe Sutter.

Call up two of McEneny, Sautner and Brisebois to finish out the season and see if they have an NHL future.

During free agency bring back Edler and he can pair with Hughes next year.

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

What value do you think MDZ is worth now? I was hoping at the beginning of the season if he had a bounce back year, he could fetch a 3rd maaaaybe a 2nd. But with him in the press box all the time I don’t think we could get a 5th for him and probably a 6-7th. I hope I’m wrong but he’s been a guy I’ve written off since we signed him and had pick bait all over on his DJ face. We have done well getting later round picks, now the hard part with what we have. Hope Eddy understands he helps the team by going for a few months. With Beagle and Gaudette on the team, Sutter is more expendable then being a foundational player. Very interesting coming months for this team, playoff bubble team or not.

I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for him and hope they can get a 5th but that might be a stretch. MDZ, IMO, was just a stop gap filler to buy time for some of the prospects to develop down in Utica and was never really in their long term plans. JB has to have a serious discussion with his management and scouting group as to who they might target in free agency should Edler not waive his NTC and they wind up losing him to free agency. I hope it does not come to that and still think he will come around to waiving his NTC before the deadline and allow the team to pick up some assets and / or picks at the draft. If he does that they could still re-sign him in the summer if they cam come to terms that are agreeable to both party's.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Call up two of McEneny, Sautner and Brisebois to finish out the season and see if they have an NHL future.

Ugh I just don't think it's a good idea to move a guy like tanev. Guys like that, who eat shots and defend like beasts are invaluable.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Oj essentially needs to take a full year off and you wanna throw him right into the NHL lol. Terrible choice. Tryamkin probably won't be back...Hughes will be here tho. 

OJ's training camp will decide that.  Not I. 

I think he makes it.  I have no crystal ball under my bed though.

Tryamkin is a hopeful wish.

Edited by Screw
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Edler won't waive even if the team will not resign him apparently.  I think that was said on HNIC. Kypper said it.

Thats not true, Edler has said he'll waive if he's no longer wanted. 

I put it as a pretty good choice he'll waive if asked. Especially if Canucks said he'll be resigned in the offseason.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don't think Jim is gonna go full retard with aquamans team as that would get him fired because to gut the team means years in the basement.

I expect they'll keep what is working and add on. 

We have a franchise player perhaps even generational and you dont tear down your team when you get one.

You build around them  

2 minutes ago, Old school nuck said:

Don't think Jim is gonna go full retard with aquamans team as that would get him fired because to gut the team means years in the basement.

We have a franchise player perhaps even generational and you dont tear down your team when you get one.

You build around them  

To be fair you're not really gutting it though.

He said to bring Edler back

Tanev would garner a nice return to continue building around

Sutter could be replaced by Gaudette

Granlund and Del Zotto are dime a dozen players

The core stays in tact

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Old school nuck said:

You build around them  

haha that kind of contradictory. You cant build around a generational talent unless you acquire assets...

Need lots of future pieces to get a few foundation pieces.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Ugh I just don't think it's a good idea to move a guy like tanev. Guys like that, who eat shots and defend like beasts are invaluable.

Although I love Tanev he does get injured a lot and isn't young enough to fit into out future core. If you can get a 1st and maybe a little more for him then you take it and draft a future RD like Seider.

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Although I love Tanev he does get injured a lot and isn't young enough to fit into out future core. If you can get a 1st and maybe a little more for him then you take it and draft a future RD like Seider.

I think there will be some gems in the late first/early second round this draft

11 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I 100% believe that Jack Hughes will not be a 1st line player, he will be a average player. If we get the #1 pick we should trade it for a lower draft pick and get someone else and more assets

What makes you think that? He was one of the youngest players at the wj's. You cant really judge him by that tourney alone. 

Some are touting him to be as good as Auston Mathews.

If you win that draft lottery I think it would be foolish not to draft him.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Seider I think might go late teens I’m just not sure we’d get another pick that low. However other dmen later in the first that could be good are Harley (I’ve heard Chabot comparisons in his play style) and Vlasic who could be a 6’5” Tanev as he’s praised for a lot of the things Tanev does well.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Seider I think might go late teens I’m just not sure we’d get another pick that low. However other dmen later in the first that could be good are Harley (I’ve heard Chabot comparisons in his play style) and Vlasic who could be a 6’5” Tanev as he’s praised for a lot of the things Tanev does well.

Yep and there are others that may climb rankings such as Hugo Has, Thomson and Constantinou.

Anyone have any insight into Arthur Kaliyev? He is a young goal scoring left winger and his numbers warrant a top 10 pick, but have not seen him ranked there very often. He has good size and is of american/russian descent. He also scored over 30 goals as a 16 year old in the OHL. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Anyone have any insight into Arthur Kaliyev? He is a young goal scoring left winger and his numbers warrant a top 10 pick, but have not seen him ranked there very often. He has good size and is of american/russian descent. He also scored over 30 goals as a 16 year old in the OHL. 

One dimensional offensive force, skating, compete level and defensive game need help. He could be a top 15 pick. Absolute goal scorer.

13 hours ago, runtzguy said:

I 100% believe that Jack Hughes will not be a 1st line player, he will be a average player. If we get the #1 pick we should trade it for a lower draft pick and get someone else and more assets

Lol give me a break, he has shown that he can dominate even at the wjc as an underager. He is far from average.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, cyoung said:

One dimensional offensive force, skating, compete level and defensive game need help. He could be a top 15 pick. Absolute goal scorer.

I havent heard anything negative about his compete level and seemed to have played a major role in Hamilton's playoff push last year, but skating and defense is kinda what i figured. Is he comparable to Owen Tippett at all?  

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My opinion (I am high on him):

He has the best wrist shot / release in draft that I’ve seen.

I have him really high on my rankings.

if he goes outside of 10 he’s gonna be a boom or bust steal imo.

His shot is NHL quality so it’ll just be how he adjusts to the time / speed and strength of the NHL and his compete level / play without the puck. 

13 hours ago, runtzguy said:

You need to readjust your thinking.

Hughes puck skills and IQ are elite elite. 

Him and Kakko will be the top 2 picks without dispute. And both for good reason.

• Upvote 1