The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

My opinion (I am high on him):

He has the best wrist shot / release in draft that I’ve seen.

I have him really high on my rankings.

if he goes outside of 10 he’s gonna be a boom or bust steal imo.

His shot is NHL quality so it’ll just be how he adjusts to the time / speed and strength of the NHL and his compete level / play without the puck. 

Ya outside the top 10 I think him, Suzuki, Newhook, and Foote would all be good picks

• Upvote 1

I thnk if we get top 5 pick podkolzin might be our best pick other than Hughes  

Podkolzin is an abrasive in your face RW who works and competes very hard.  

Not sure Benning would want to take a Russian top 5 overall tho.   

Edited by WHL rocks

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I havent heard anything negative about his compete level and seemed to have played a major role in Hamilton's playoff push last year, but skating and defense is kinda what i figured. Is he comparable to Owen Tippett at all?  

Let me rephrase that, his compete level is just inconsistent. He needs to learn how to use his size and strength more. He can be a dominant force if he puts it all together!

If we get another pick in around the 20’s I really like Jakob Pelletier. He won’t be a very popular pick on these boards because I see a lot of people complaining about size and Pelletier is listed at 5’9”. Kid plays Center and can set up goals or score them. His play reminds me of Brayden Point.

22 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha that kind of contradictory. You cant build around a generational talent unless you acquire assets...

Need lots of future pieces to get a few foundation pieces.

I remember when we had a young Kesler and twins with no depth and were a bubble team .

We added a Carter or Burrows to complete the line and drafted Raymond in the 2nd round traded for booth , manny  ,torres and laperierre.

It took some years and a lot of futures to build our cup contender.

I would like to get another top ten talent this year but if the team starts to rise on the backs of their budding stars then you have to let it ride.

Part of building a team is maintaining your current assets. 

If we trade Tanev then right away we need anothrr Tanev type player same with sutter. 

I expect jb will hang onto his assets and deal them when they're on their last legs like hanson and burrows.

22 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

To be fair you're not really gutting it though.

He said to bring Edler back

Tanev would garner a nice return to continue building around

Sutter could be replaced by Gaudette

Granlund and Del Zotto are dime a dozen players

The core stays in tact

Dont see how trading tanev isnt gonna gut our team since we only have one top 4 rhd and the team collapses without him.

We have no replacement for him right now and jb was adamant about getting a dman back if tanev was traded when asked by the media.

We have no one to replace sutter and no gaudette isnt ready yet as evidenced by his current team right now.

Part of building a team is maintaining its assets and trading players you have no replacement for is no that.

I would like all our vets to be traded when our youth are good enough to take their jobs but until then jb like any rational gm will maintain his assets.

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

You need to readjust your thinking.

Hughes puck skills and IQ are elite elite. 

Him and Kakko will be the top 2 picks without dispute. And both for good reason.

I agree that his skating is elite. But his puck skills is good but not good enough to keep up with his speed. As for his passing, his passing is pretty average and so is his shot. To me, he looks like a faster Nico Hischier.

9 hours ago, cyoung said:

Lol give me a break, he has shown that he can dominate even at the wjc as an underager. He is far from average.

True, I agree he is dominate in USDP. But, I really doubt he will be at the NHL level. He has elite skating and decent hands. But his hands isn't quick enough for his skating. As for his shot and passing, it seems pretty average. 

Jack Hughes is still going to be a good player in the NHL but definitely not Matthews, Mcdavid, or Crosby level. 

22 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

What makes you think that? He was one of the youngest players at the wj's. You cant really judge him by that tourney alone. 

Some are touting him to be as good as Auston Mathews.

If you win that draft lottery I think it would be foolish not to draft him.

I agree his resume is impressive. But when I watch him play, his vision, shot and passing is not that great tbh. 

Will he be in the NHL? Absolutely. In the pedigree as Matthews, Mcdavid, or Crosby? No, I really don't see it.

45 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I agree his resume is impressive. But when I watch him play, his vision, shot and passing is not that great tbh. 

Will he be in the NHL? Absolutely. In the pedigree as Matthews, Mcdavid, or Crosby? No, I really don't see it.

Don't think any one was expecting him to be in that group lol it's rare to find those talents.

2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

I agree that his skating is elite. But his puck skills is good but not good enough to keep up with his speed. As for his passing, his passing is pretty average and so is his shot. To me, he looks like a faster Nico Hischier.

I just don’t think you have seen him play enough. If you base it just on the world jrs I could see that comparison.

problem with Hughes is he didn’t challenge himself this year by staying on national squad. It would have been better for him to have gone to an NCAA team like farabee and Wahlstrom or a Euro men’s squad like Matthews did.

my opinion just differs from you, maybe you have seen him more and that’s what you see and maybe you will be right time will tell. I have been wrong on my fair share of prospects lol!

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Don't think any one was expecting him to be in that group lol it's rare to find those talents.

I honestly think 2 years ago people were and even last year. It’s just this year by staying on the national team his progress and stalled. He’s not challenged.

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I just don’t think you have seen him play enough. If you base it just on the world jrs I could see that comparison.

problem with Hughes is he didn’t challenge himself this year by staying on national squad. It would have been better for him to have gone to an NCAA team like farabee and Wahlstrom or a Euro men’s squad like Matthews did.

my opinion just differs from you, maybe you have seen him more and that’s what you see and maybe you will be right time will tell. I have been wrong on my fair share of prospects lol!

Well, if we get #1. Hopefully Im wrong lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I honestly think 2 years ago people were and even last year. It’s just this year by staying on the national team his progress and stalled. He’s not challenged.

I don't agree, I think hes always been seen a tier below those players. Elite (comparable to Kane on so many levels). I'd still love him on our team, he'd be my first choice for sure.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I agree with what you're saying about Hughes and his level of competition. Going to an NCAA team, especially one with his brother when it's realistically the last chance to play with him for a full season, would've been a great opportunity for him to play at a considerably higher level of competition in a good environment. Everyone watching would also be able to get a much more accurate read on him as going from the NCAA to the NHL is much more common than going from the NCAA to the NHL. When you consider Kakko playing as well as he is at a much higher level of competition, it makes you think about why the guy who's likely going ahead of him can't do the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree with what you're saying about Hughes and his level of competition. Going to an NCAA team, especially one with his brother when it's realistically the last chance to play with him for a full season, would've been a great opportunity for him to play at a considerably higher level of competition in a good environment. Everyone watching would also be able to get a much more accurate read on him as going from the NCAA to the NHL is much more common than going from the NCAA to the NHL. When you consider Kakko playing as well as he is at a much higher level of competition, it makes you think about why the guy who's likely going ahead of him can't do the same thing. 

As a result Palmu was awarded the Jarmo Wasama Memorial Trophy as the Liiga's Rookie of the Year.

How did Palmu get on in Utica? 

We have to be careful with our assumptions.

6 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Or Jordan Subban. :bigblush: