The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I'm not sure Benning takes a D with the 1st, unless they pick around #18 and maybe get (RD) Seider (6'4" 185). They need more scoring/elite offence. Benning has assembled some pretty good pieces on D so far, maybe he picks up another D with the 2nd, or a late 1st (by way of a trade).

Future D, without Edler and Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Brisebois - Chatfield

Rathbone

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Dont be so sure about that that. Take for example turcotte who has literally played his way into the top five since coming back from injury

Byram will not make it past 10 if he keeps up his current play 14 pts in last 7 games. By far the Best Dman in this class.

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Byram will not make it past 10 if he keeps up his current play 14 pts in last 7 games. By far the Best Dman in this class.

We will be around 10 man.  But it would not be unrealistic to see byram drop. Turcotte played his way into the top 5 dropping one of dach or podkolzin out setting a 2018 dynamic where a guy in the top five shouldn't  dropping to us.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure Benning takes a D with the 1st, unless they pick around #18 and maybe get (RD) Seider (6'4" 185). They need more scoring/elite offence. Benning has assembled some pretty good pieces on D so far, maybe he picks up another D with the 2nd, or a late 1st (by way of a trade).

Future D, without Edler and Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Brisebois - Chatfield

Rathbone

You take byram if he is there. 

5 hours ago, Isam said:

You take byram if he is there. 

What's a good website for NHL draft rankings and scouting reports? I mean besides TSN's final rankings in June and Elite prospects or McKeens, the usual suspects etc.

Find it's hard to find good accurate rankings of where a player projects down the line or even where they might get picked.

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What's a good website for NHL draft rankings and scouting reports? I mean besides TSN's final rankings in June and Elite prospects or McKeens, the usual suspects etc.

Find it's hard to find good accurate rankings of where a player projects down the line or even where they might get picked.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/mock-draft/

This is a site that I like for first round mocks. Scouting reports in here though are just little snippets.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

This is a site that I like for first round mocks. Scouting reports in here though are just little snippets.

Oh I know about this one. There is also one called "NHL Draftsite". Also "Tankathon" for updates lottery odds and tank position along with mock drafts.

TSN also has snippets but they have Skating,ICE Q, Shot, Puck Skills, and Defensive game all ranked out of /5 also but you have to wait until one week before the draft for those.

Does NHL.com have any good ones?

I know NFL.com is pretty decent for an overall strengths and weakness scouting reports for the NFL draft, along with decent player comps.

Wish hockey had something like that.

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Agreed. Closer to the actual draft, they sometime include a 2nd round mock. ( not always ). They also include links to a fair number of other mocks. Last, they have access to previous drafts/ mocks that can be very interesting.

I think ( don't know ) that their mock is an average of a bunch of other mocks.

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

use one of our late rounders on:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=215057

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-247064-35-.htm#247064

Bloodlines are good,  turns 18 in 2 months. use one of the many 6th rounders on him?

a BCHL forward with 6 points in 36 games in his draft year?

I'd have more than 6 points in the BCHL...

edit: he's also committed to playing 2 more years in Penticton BEFORE he goes to college, which he's committed to. 

clearly this kid has never given the nhl a passing thought, for very realistic reasons. 

Edited by tas
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hockeyprospect.com is a gooder. If you want to go hardcore, get their black book. Best draft guide there is. Way better then thn's draft guide.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

use one of our late rounders on:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=215057

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-247064-35-.htm#247064

Bloodlines are good,  turns 18 in 2 months. use one of the many 6th rounders on him?

Sorry man, but he's not going to be drafted. Those numbers are nowhere near where they need to be for even a 7th rounder. Ronnings son put up decent who numbers and I still didn't wanna draft him and he went in the 7th..

NHL Releases Mid-Season Rankings For 2019 Draft:

NHL RELEASES MID-SEASON RANKINGS FOR 2019 DRAFT

Hughes No. 1 Among North American Skaters; Kakko Tops International List

NEW YORK (Jan. 21, 2019) – Center Jack Hughes of the U.S. National Team Development Program’s Under-18 Team and right wing Kaapo Kakko of Finland’s TPS rank No. 1 among North American and international skaters, respectively, as the NHL Central Scouting Bureau today released its mid-season rankings.

Hughes (Orlando, Fla.) is averaging 1.96 points per game while leading the U.S. Under-18 Team with 12-41—53 in 27 GP this season. He was named USA Hockey’s Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year in 2018 after finishing third on the U.S. Under-18 Team with 27-41—68 in 36 GP. Hughes aims to become the eighth U.S.-born player drafted first overall and the first since Auston Matthews in 2016. His brother, Quintin Hughes, was drafted seventh overall by the Vancouver Canucks in 2018.

“Hughes is in a special class all his own for the 2019 NHL Draft and the best is yet to come,” said Director of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr. “He is an exceptional skater who plays the game with speed and quickness, both with and without the puck. He possesses a package of skills and smarts that place him in the category of being a game-changer – his hockey sense is excellent, and his skill level is elite with the precision and quickness in which he can execute plays.”

Rankings_Hughes_media-21092349.png

Kakko (Turku, Finland) scored Team Finland’s gold medal-winning goal at the 2019 World Junior Championship after also winning gold with Finland at the 2018 Under‑18 World Championship. He is tied for fifth on TPS in the Finnish Elite League with 9-11—20 in 28 GP this season and was named MVP of Finland’s top junior league in 2017-18 after registering 25-30—55 in 38 GP with TPS’ junior club.

“Kakko is an exceptional skilled power forward package who is in his second season playing a big role on the top team (TPS) in the Finnish league, where he has shown impressive versatility playing both wing and center,” said Marr. “He is strong on the puck and to the net, and has proven he is battle-ready competing on the world stage – one of the few players who has the potential to make the jump to the NHL next season.”

Rankings_Kakko_media-21092611.png

Joining Hughes atop the North American skaters list are a trio from the Western Hockey League: No. 2 Kirby Dach (St. Albert, Alta.), a center for the Saskatoon Blades (WHL); No. 3 Dylan Cozens (Whitehorse, Yukon), a center for the Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL); and No. 4 Bowen Byram (Cranbrook, B.C.), a defenseman for the Vancouver Giants (WHL). U.S. Under-18 Team (NTDP) center Alex Turcotte (Elk Grove, Ill.), son of former NHLer Alfie Turcotte, rounds out the top five ranked North American skaters.

Right wing Vasili Podkolzin (Moscow, Russia) of SKA St. Petersburg (RUSSIA‑JR) and defenseman Philip Broberg (Orebro, Sweden) of AIK (SWEDEN-2) rank second and third, respectively, among international skaters.

In the crease, Spencer Knight (Stamford, Conn.) of the U.S. Under-18 Team (NTDP) ranks as the top North American goaltender, while Pyotr Kochetkov(Penza, Russia) of Ryazan (RUSSIA-2) tops international netminders.

The mid-season rankings feature the top 217 skaters and 31 goaltenders in North America as well as the top 130 skaters and 12 goaltenders internationally.

In its 44th year of operation, NHL Central Scouting provides evaluation and scouting of draft-eligible players to NHL member clubs. Headed by Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr, NHL Central Scouting employs seven full-time and 14 part-time scouts throughout North America. To report on prospects playing internationally, the NHL employs the services of Goran Stubb and his staff at European Scouting Services based in Finland.

Combined, NHL Central Scouting and European Scouting Services will see more than 3,000 games this season.

The 2019 NHL Draft will be held June 21-22 at Rogers Arena, home of the Vancouver Canucks, marking the third time the city of Vancouver will host the event (also 1990 and 2006).

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/12661

Many scouts are saying Cozens is higher than Dach now. Not surprised as he can't do it against the top teams in the league and seems to disappear. Dach has 16 of his 50 points against the 2 worst teams in the league (that are in his division). 

This guy is so inflated, there is no way he's worth a top 5 pick. Maybe a top 10, but I'd steer clear. Hasn't been able to show he can do it against a tough opponent. That 11 game stretch where he was absolute trash was against a lot of the top teams in the league.

He is going to get a chance to prove his value in playoffs, maybe he can change my mind then. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Many scouts are saying Cozens is higher than Dach now. Not surprised as he can't do it against the top teams in the league and seems to disappear. Dach has 16 of his 50 points against the 2 worst teams in the league (that are in his division). 

This guy is so inflated, there is no way he's worth a top 5 pick. Maybe a top 10, but I'd steer clear. Hasn't been able to show he can do it against a tough opponent. That 11 game stretch where he was absolute trash was against a lot of the top teams in the league.

He is going to get a chance to prove his value in playoffs, maybe he can change my mind then. 

Ya, I was very high on him at the start of the season but he needs to show more. He has all the tools to dominate, but he needs to put it together...

On 1/17/2019 at 2:02 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Generally the best in a position may get picked higher than projected (see Kotkaniemi). I think he will get picked top 10 regardless of what happens as long as he's the clear cut best dman in the draft.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Generally the best in a position may get picked higher than projected (see Kotkaniemi). I think he will get picked top 10 regardless of what happens as long as he's the clear cut best dman in the draft.

As of right now he clearly is, his game is so well rounded. Ive heard some interviews and he seems like a good kid as well.

NHL released their preseason draft rankings. https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-hughes-kaapo-kakko-top-central-scouting-midterm-rankings-for-2019-nhl-draft/c-304024912

Nice to see some big right shot D's on the international list. Only Lassi Thomson in the top 20 for NA but Soderstrom, Seider, Tuomisto, Lundmark all look like potential good pics from Europe.

I imagine Martin Has (Hugo Has) will rise up some ranking in the coming months

• Upvote 1