The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

On 1/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Yep! plus all the other quality 1st round picks that were not 1st overall to add to that and where and what has it got them?

A lot of CDC'rs on here whine about JB and how he blew the picks for Virtanen and Juolevi calling them "busts"???

Maybe now they get to see first hand from one of our divisional rivals how not to manage a team and have a bit more respect for the body of work that JB and the scouting staff have accomplished in 5 years at the helm

Pure gold Kootenay, you couldn't be more correct.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If Canucks finish just outside of playoffs or even get knocked out in the first round I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Ville Heinola, Finnish D-man had 6 points in 23 games in the Liiga. 5'1'' 176 lbs. He got injured during the WJC but should be back mid February. I have a feeling he will be one of the biggest risers. I predict anywhere between 15-25 for him depending on how strong he finishes.

5 hours ago, TGokou said:

If Canucks finish just outside of playoffs or even get knocked out in the first round I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Ville Heinola, Finnish D-man had 6 points in 23 games in the Liiga. 5'1'' 176 lbs. He got injured during the WJC but should be back mid February. I have a feeling he will be one of the biggest risers. I predict anywhere between 15-25 for him depending on how strong he finishes.

5'1.... I hope you mean 5'11.  I am warming up to smaller d men, but that seems a bit unlikely to work at the NHL level.  Unless he has a magic wand like "Willow".  

I believe that JB and Brackett are very much in tune with the needs of the club.  I hope to see another defender taken in the top two rounds.  Preferential treatment to a RHD.  Team needs also dictate a LW.  Someone with a solid net presence and a good skating.  

There should be some good options with both positions with our top two picks.  Unless we manage to hit an inside straight at the draft ( The NHL loves a good media story, what better than Vancouver getting a top pick in the 2019 draft, ala NJ or Jets from a few years ago).

8 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

5'1.... I hope you mean 5'11.  I am warming up to smaller d men, but that seems a bit unlikely to work at the NHL level.  Unless he has a magic wand like "Willow".  

he looked pretty good in the WJHC, but didn't respond well to physical play, imo.

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My top 16 ranking as of now for the Canucks:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Dach

5. Cozens

6. Podkolzin

7. Krebs

8. Boldy

9. Broberg

10. Turcotte

11. Zegras

12. Kaliyev

13. Suzuki

14. Newhook

15. Soderstrom 

16. Seider

Why 16? Do you see a drop off after that?

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Dach

5. Cozens

6. Podkolzin

7. Krebs

8. Boldy

9. Broberg

10. Turcotte

11. Zegras

12. Kaliyev

13. Suzuki

14. Newhook

15. Soderstrom 

16. Seider

Pretty good list, but turcotte is probably gonna go top five with the way how he is playing of late and zegras is probably in the top ten. 

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Pretty good list, but turcotte is probably gonna go top five with the way how he is playing of late and zegras is probably in the top ten. 

What is your opinion on Turcotte? Do you have a playstyle comparable and/or potential ceiling for him?

To me he's one of the names to follow in this draft, but I don't have as much time to get into it. I think his mix of speed, skill, hockey IQ and grit is really enticing. 

48 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What is your opinion on Turcotte? Do you have a playstyle comparable and/or potential ceiling for him?

To me he's one of the names to follow in this draft, but I don't have as much time to get into it. I think his mix of speed, skill, hockey IQ and grit is really enticing. 

Plays alot like barkov. Could definitely see him getting the type of point totals the sasha does in florida. He does have a better defensive game then sasha had 18 though. Love the kids engine though. He does not quit at all and whoever gets him is gonna get a hell of a player.

Boldy was one of my favourites at the start of the year. Kids got the dangles! He may have played himself out of our range now though. That is unless we sell some vets and get more picks ;). Which will in turn make us slide a little bit in the standings just enough so we can select Boldy or Krebs and make me a happy man! I’m a Canuck fan and wishing for a top 5 pick seems too unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Boldy was one of my favourites at the start of the year. Kids got the dangles! He may have played himself out of our range now though. That is unless we sell some vets and get more picks ;). Which will in turn make us slide a little bit in the standings just enough so we can select Boldy or Krebs and make me a happy man! I’m a Canuck fan and wishing for a top 5 pick seems too unrealistic.

Boldy or Krebs would be fantastic to add to our left side.

im incredibly high on Krebs- he’d look fantastic beside bo or Ep Imo if he was on a better team he’d be higher on rankings. 

This is the first draft draft in awhile I’ve not been stressed about our draft position top half of the first round are all solid prospects. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Isam said:

Yea and the C position draft position premium too must be taken into account - he’s gonna go high and zegras

14 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Dach

5. Cozens

6. Podkolzin

7. Krebs

8. Boldy

9. Broberg

10. Turcotte

11. Zegras

12. Kaliyev

13. Suzuki

14. Newhook

15. Soderstrom 

16. Seider

I’m not high on Lavoie either. His skating isn’t nhl level and his production this Szn is underwhelming

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’m not high on Lavoie either. His skating isn’t nhl level and his production this Szn is underwhelming

Ya his is ranked pretty high on a lot of lists but he has been kinda meh for me this season and not sure his ceiling is as high as others. 

• Upvote 1