The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

17 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think Sifers was injured most of the time Blujus was on the roster. Cull praised him and Sautner whenever defence was mentioned.

GM Ryan Johnson did an amazing job finding players in the ECHL that could plug all the holes the Comets had due to all the injuries they incurred.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

GM Ryan Johnson did an amazing job finding players in the ECHL that could plug all the holes the Comets had due to all the injuries they incurred.

Even Johnson praised Pat Conacher who is the one that found the ECHL players for the Comets......

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Even Johnson praised Pat Conacher who is the one that found the ECHL players for the Comets......

Yes; Pat did have a large part in finding these hidden gems. Kudo's to both of them for finding all the replacement players that contributed to the team when the injury bug took its toll.

So what's the lineup look like now if Gagner and Archibald pass through waivers? Would it look like this:

Dahlen       Gagner       Boucher

Palmu        Gaudette    Jasek

Gadjovich  Gaunce      Lind 

MacEwan   Kero          Archibald

Bancks, Darcy

McEneny        Chatfield

Sautner         Brisebois

Joulevi          Sifers

Blujus, Graham

Demko

Bachman

Clearly Coach Cull is going to have a lot of decisions on who is on and how big the roster is as there is no roster limit in the AHL.

This is my spreadsheet of who is still on the roster. N.B. I added Archie as I think he will clear waivers but did not add Gagner as I think he will be either claimed or some kind of trade happens after he clears.

image.thumb.png.f42ce7aad3d3cc145fe0592c87746ae0.png

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Clearly Coach Cull is going to have a lot of decisions on who is on and how big the roster is as there is no roster limit in the AHL.

This is my spreadsheet of who is still on the roster. N.B. I added Archie as I think he will clear waivers but did not add Gagner as I think he will be either claimed or some kind of trade happens after he clears.

image.thumb.png.f42ce7aad3d3cc145fe0592c87746ae0.png

Nice job. Hamilton and Laplante are also injured and can be taken out of the near term equation. I can see Cull keeping about 25 players initially. They have a three game weekend coming up in the second week followed by two straight 3 games in 4 days after that.  They could use a few extra bodies around for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AK_19 said:

So what's the lineup look like now if Gagner and Archibald pass through waivers? Would it look like this:

McEneny        Chatfield

Sautner         Brisebois

Joulevi          Sifers

Chatfield might play with Joulevi as per Ryan Johnson:

• Upvote 2

Gaunce-Gagner-Boucher

Dahlen-Kero-Jasek

MacMaster-Gaudette-Archibald

Bancks-MacEwen-Carcone

Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu, Woods, Darcy

Sautner-Graham

Brisebois-Sifers

Juolevi-Chatfield

Dirk, Blujus

Bachman

Kulbakov

IR - Demko, Hamilton, McEneny

This is my opening night roster.

I see the first year rookies rotating in and out a lot throughout the season.  At some point some of the forwards need to be moved out so the rookies can get in more regular reps.

22 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gaunce-Gagner-Boucher

Dahlen-Kero-Jasek

Bancks-MacEwen-Carcone

Sautner-Graham

Brisebois-Sifers

Juolevi-Chatfield

Dirk, Blujus

Bachman

Kulbakov

I see the first year rookies rotating in and out a lot throughout the season.  At some point some of the forwards need to be moved out so the rookies can get in more regular reps.

Ya it would be nice to send down some AHL level players to the EHCL to make room for rookies. After all it is a developmental league and it doesn't benefit us to see guys like Bancks play.

Best option would be to package some spare parts that would be ok callups for contenders.

Gaunce+Sautner for an ok RD prospect. Wont get us anything really good but we need some RD prospects in the system.

10 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Nice job. Hamilton and Laplante are also injured and can be taken out of the near term equation. I can see Cull keeping about 25 players initially. They have a three game weekend coming up in the second week followed by two straight 3 games in 4 days after that.  They could use a few extra bodies around for a few weeks.

Hopefully they can flip a forward or two for another defenseman. It would be the best move in my opinion.....

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya it would be nice to send down some AHL level players to the EHCL to make room for rookies. After all it is a developmental league and it doesn't benefit us to see guys like Bancks play.

Best option would be to package some spare parts that would be ok callups for contenders.

Gaunce+Sautner for an ok RD prospect. Wont get us anything really good but we need some RD prospects in the system.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gaunce-Gagner-Boucher

Dahlen-Kero-Jasek

Bancks-MacEwen-Carcone

Sautner-Graham

Brisebois-Sifers

Juolevi-Chatfield

Dirk, Blujus

Bachman

Kulbakov

I agree that there will be some shuffling of players in and out of the line up early on to get everyone some playing time.  Eventually injuries will take care of the surplus of forwards. I don't see how Carcone will be a regular on this team to begin the season and would not be surprised to see him lighting up the ECHL down in the Zoo.  I would have been fine if the Comets parted ways with Carter Bancks and certainly Wacey Hamilton but both were just brought back on rare two year AHL contracts so they won't be sent to the ECHL.  Bancks will likely be named captain again and both of these guys are loved by Ryan Johnson. Trent Cull and Travis Green for the leadership that they bring to a team full of kids.

Gagner getting loaned to the Marlies instead of the Comets. Bit annoying that he goes to a division rival that's a perennial contender but not a huge loss for the Comets roster wise, rather see them use the players they have, vets who get sent down like that aren't always the most motivated anyway. Gaudette and Brisebois missing time hurts though, being that they're at two crucial positions at centre and defense. Guess it'll give some other guys a chance at getting into the rotation if they're out for any significant period.

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gagner getting loaned to the Marlies instead of the Comets. Bit annoying that he goes to a division rival that's a perennial contender but not a huge loss for the Comets roster wise, rather see them use the players they have, vets who get sent down like that aren't always the most motivated anyway. Gaudette and Brisebois missing time hurts though, being that they're at two crucial positions at centre and defense. Guess it'll give some other guys a chance at getting into the rotation if they're out for any significant period.

I'm more concerned about Brisbois being out as the Comets D is relatively thin as it is; whereas, they have an excess of players in the forward group that can fill in while Adam Gaudette is out.

12 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Utica already has enough vets they don't need Gagner. He was not good enough to stay in Van for good reasons. If needed Van can recall him to the Canucks and then reassign him to Utica if they see a need. I want the top 6 roles in Utica played by our prospects not our rejects. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm more concerned about Brisbois being out as the Comets D is relatively thin as it is; whereas, they have an excess of players in the forward group that can fill in while Adam Gaudette is out.

I heard it's a minor issue, he shouldn't be out for too long. They have two games this weekend (Fri, Sat). I wonder if they'll sign anyone, but either way it's a good question: 
McEneny, Brisebois out with injury. 

Juolevi - Chatfield 
Sautner - Sifers
Dirk/ Graham - Blujus

This doesn't have to be a bad thing. Sautner and Juolevi are both guys who could probably take 25 minutes a game. It could do their development some wonders.

• Upvote 2

On October 1, 2018 at 11:17 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gaunce-Gagner-Boucher

Dahlen-Kero-Jasek

Bancks-MacEwen-Carcone

Sautner-Graham

Brisebois-Sifers

Juolevi-Chatfield

Dirk, Blujus

Bachman

Kulbakov

Gaudette will be there #1 centre in Utica never #3 guy..He will play over 19 mins a game PP, PK and reg shifts..

He will be playing in NHL by Xmas..

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Utica already has enough vets they don't need Gagner. He was not good enough to stay in Van for good reasons. If needed Van can recall him to the Canucks and then reassign him to Utica if they see a need. I want the top 6 roles in Utica played by our prospects not our rejects. 

It's my opinion and everyone has one so feel free to disagree if you wish but the lack of a solid playmaking center has stymied the development of Vancouver's prospects in Utica for multiple years now.  Not having a center that can get the puck to the wings is not good for development.  The only real prospect on a NHL contract at center in Utica is Adam Gaudette and if his ice time is limited by the addition of Sam Gagner then either Ryan Johnson and the Utica coaching staff aren't doing their jobs correctly or Gaudette isn't adjusting to the pro game very well.

What other prospects at center would Gagner be holding back?  Is Tanner Kero really a prospect or another depth signing?  Is Brendan Gaunce really a center prospect or a wing that will play in the middle out of need?  Is Zack MacEwen a legitimate prospect at center or is his future in Vancouver as a power forward on the wing?  The other center options in Utica are all AHL contracted guys such as Tanner MacMaster, Cam Darcy and Wacey Hamilton.

Maybe Sam Gagner isn't the playmaker center that the Comets have been lacking for the past three seasons but maybe he would have been and I guess we will never know.  But the statement that Gagner would be taking playing time away from prospects is ill informed when you really consider the number of center prospects on the farm and how the lack of quality centers hinders the development of the young wing talent that has been placed here this year.

• Upvote 4