The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette will be there #1 centre in Utica never #3 guy..He will play over 19 mins a game PP, PK and reg shifts..

He will be playing in NHL by Xmas..

I think Crazy_for_Nazzy is right on with the opening night roster and I like the way he has put the lines together. First game is against a very good team so I think it would be wise on coach Culls part to put a very competitive group out there to start the season.

2 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

It's my opinion and everyone has one so feel free to disagree if you wish but the lack of a solid playmaking center has stymied the development of Vancouver's prospects in Utica for multiple years now.  Not having a center that can get the puck to the wings is not good for development.  The only real prospect on a NHL contract at center in Utica is Adam Gaudette and if his ice time is limited by the addition of Sam Gagner then either Ryan Johnson and the Utica coaching staff aren't doing their jobs correctly or Gaudette isn't adjusting to the pro game very well.

What other prospects at center would Gagner be holding back?  Is Tanner Kero really a prospect or another depth signing?  Is Brendan Gaunce really a center prospect or a wing that will play in the middle out of need?  Is Zack MacEwen a legitimate prospect at center or is his future in Vancouver as a power forward on the wing?  The other center options in Utica are all AHL contracted guys such as Tanner MacMaster, Cam Darcy and Wacey Hamilton.

Maybe Sam Gagner isn't the playmaker center that the Comets have been lacking for the past three seasons but maybe he would have been and I guess we will never know.  But the statement that Gagner would be taking playing time away from prospects is ill informed when you really consider the number of center prospects on the farm and how the lack of quality centers hinders the development of the young wing talent that has been placed here this year.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Utica already has enough vets they don't need Gagner. He was not good enough to stay in Van for good reasons. If needed Van can recall him to the Canucks and then reassign him to Utica if they see a need. I want the top 6 roles in Utica played by our prospects not our rejects. 

And let me add to my reply by saying that if you are upset with the potential addition of Gagner as a veteran center in Utica you should be more concerned about Boucher and Archibald taking playing time away from the kids on the wing because they will.  Then it is more of a discussion on a philosophy on how to use the farm.  Do you mix in quality vets or go with just prospects?  And remember the kids like Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen and Palmu are going to play on the outside and not down the middle.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

And let me add to my reply by saying that if you are upset with the potential addition of Gagner as a veteran center in Utica you should be more concerned about Boucher and Archibald taking playing time away from the kids on the wing because they will.  Then it is more of a discussion on a philosophy on how to use the farm.  Do you mix in quality vets or go with just prospects?  And remember the kids like Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen and Palmu are going to play on the outside and not down the middle.  

The coach is definitely going to have a balancing act on his hands this season that is for sure. I suppose as the injury bug hits the team as it always seems to; a lot of the rookies will be called upon to play more. They are going to be a very interesting team to follow this year that is one certainty we can count on. I can't wait for Friday and see what his opening night roster looks like.

29 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette will be there #1 centre in Utica never #3 guy..He will play over 19 mins a game PP, PK and reg shifts..

He will be playing in NHL by Xmas..

Well he has a ways to go.. pretty unnoticeable in his one game I saw. It will probably take 10-20 games to get up to speed. And if Gaudette is in the NHL by Xmas, it really makes loaning out Gagner even more stupid.....

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Well he has a ways to go.. pretty unnoticeable in his one game I saw. It will probably take 10-20 games to get up to speed. And if Gaudette is in the NHL by Xmas, it really makes loaning out Gagner even more stupid.....

Hmm, I wonder how many Benning supporters or Benning himself have given much thought about this probability.

1 hour ago, Connor comet said:

56 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Hmm, I wonder how many Benning supporters or Benning himself have given much thought about this probability.

I get all that, but I think it was solid of them to let him play in his home town, close to his family. Respect goes a long way in the NHL...I don't doubt it was part damage control by management to do this as well as it looks bad signing a guy for 3 years and year 2 you're waiving him, but I digress.  I think you are right with your points on a play making centre. Very good issue to bring up! But I respect their decision to let him play closer to home.

Also a question worth asking, is can they pull him off the Marlins roster and put him on Uticas roster? Or are they restricted on moving him back to their farm team? 

4 hours ago, Connor comet said:

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Maybe because he can be recalled to Utica at any time?

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haven't heard that said anywhere yet.  Would have thought our expert investigative media would uncovered such facts.

Maybe we need to bring Sid in on this topic? I am curious to know as well. Not much garnered from a quick google search on my end..didn't try too hard tho as I'm at work..speaking of which better log off before I get busted haha!

Sending Sam down to the AHL will not, imo, deter other free agents from signing here. They will be aware that Sam did not play well enough to keep a job, and will believe they will play well enough to maintain an NHL job.

7 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

It's my opinion and everyone has one so feel free to disagree if you wish but the lack of a solid playmaking center has stymied the development of Vancouver's prospects in Utica for multiple years now.  Not having a center that can get the puck to the wings is not good for development.  The only real prospect on a NHL contract at center in Utica is Adam Gaudette and if his ice time is limited by the addition of Sam Gagner then either Ryan Johnson and the Utica coaching staff aren't doing their jobs correctly or Gaudette isn't adjusting to the pro game very well.

What other prospects at center would Gagner be holding back?  Is Tanner Kero really a prospect or another depth signing?  Is Brendan Gaunce really a center prospect or a wing that will play in the middle out of need?  Is Zack MacEwen a legitimate prospect at center or is his future in Vancouver as a power forward on the wing?  The other center options in Utica are all AHL contracted guys such as Tanner MacMaster, Cam Darcy and Wacey Hamilton.

Maybe Sam Gagner isn't the playmaker center that the Comets have been lacking for the past three seasons but maybe he would have been and I guess we will never know.  But the statement that Gagner would be taking playing time away from prospects is ill informed when you really consider the number of center prospects on the farm and how the lack of quality centers hinders the development of the young wing talent that has been placed here this year.

I defer to your 'on the ground' knowledge of the Comets. My Gagner comment was made with the assumption that if Gagner was needed in Vancouver or Utica that he would be recalled and placed where needed. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haven't heard that said anywhere yet.  Would have thought our expert investigative media would uncovered such facts.

The Vancouver media is too busy with Fortnitegate right now.  Cut them some slack.

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I highly doubt that Gagner would be recalled to Utica, regardless of the Canucks' ability to do so.  The whole point of the loan is to make the best of the situation and give him what he'd prefer as much as we can.  Making him move to Toronto for 2 months, then uproot him and his family to Utica for 4 months, would be counterproductive to that goal.

I think Gaudette and Dahlen are on similar levels in terms of NHL readiness.  If things go well, both could be recalled by TDL and prove that they can stay in the lineup, which may leave Utica with something like this for top 9:

Archibald - Kero - Jasek/ Lind

Boucher - Gaunce - Jasek/ Lind

Gadjovich - McMaster/ MacEwan - Palmu

A good mix of vets and prospects.  If Demko has a Markstrom-like year, the team should be competing for a playoff spot, even without one or both of Dahlen and Gaudette.  If Dahlen/ Gaudette ends up staying the whole year, maybe that'll be the push needed to win one or two rounds.  If not, guys like Lind and Palmu will get more offensive opportunities in their absence, which wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Edited by GoldenAlien

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

I highly doubt that Gagner would be recalled to Utica, regardless of the Canucks' ability to do so.  The whole point of the loan is to make the best of the situation and give him what he'd prefer as much as we can.  Making him move to Toronto for 2 months, then uproot him and his family to Utica for 4 months, would be counterproductive to that goal.

I think Gaudette and Dahlen are on similar levels in terms of NHL readiness.  If things go well, both could be recalled by TDL and prove that they can stay in the lineup, which may leave Utica with something like this for top 9:

Archibald - Kero - Jasek/ Lind

Boucher - Gaunce - Jasek/ Lind

Gadjovich - McMaster/ MacEwan - Palmu

A good mix of vets and prospects.  If Demko has a Markstrom-like year, the team should be competing for a playoff spot, even without one or both of Dahlen and Gaudette.  If Dahlen/ Gaudette ends up staying the whole year, maybe that'll be the push needed to win one or two rounds.  If not, guys like Lind and Palmu will get more offensive opportunities in their absence, which wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

It's a neat exercise, but I believe they're trying out a couple of duos. Without Gaudette and Dahlen though, the team looks a little deflated. I see it more like:
Boucher - MacMaster - Jasek
Archibald - Kero - Lind/Palmu
Gadjovich - Gaunce - Palmu/Lind

But I'm wondering, if Gaudette and Dahlen are up with the Canucks, are you assuming that Sutter is traded/injured and Eriksson, Goldobin, Baertschi are traded/injured as well? I see Dahlen getting a spot in the top 6, but not really the bottom 6 (in that case they're more likely to recall MacEwan or Archibald). Like, what type of scenario are you predicting?