The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hoping that Gaudette is on his way after the X-Mass break. Sutter back from injury and Gaudette cannot get enough TOI to help his development. His play in Vancouver has been solid. Wicked wrister. 

That would be best for Gaudette I agree. He had a great shot in College, in the NHL it seems he might just be gripping his stick a bit tighter? Seems to be if i recall correctly that he has missed the net a decent amount or shot it right at the goalie when he had a chance to snipe it to a corner. Not being negative towards him,  I would like to see him get ice time with Dahlen. Build up some chemistry with hopfeully a future NHL teammate. Then when they both are in the bigs it eases the transition I think when you have some chemistry already with someone.

Whenever Dahlen gets a call up I think he will be put with EP for familiarity and past chemistry. I could be totally wrong and he could go on the 4th line with Beagle

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That would be best for Gaudette I agree. He had a great shot in College, in the NHL it seems he might just be gripping his stick a bit tighter? Seems to be if i recall correctly that he has missed the net a decent amount or shot it right at the goalie when he had a chance to snipe it to a corner. Not being negative towards him,  I would like to see him get ice time with Dahlen. Build up some chemistry with hopfeully a future NHL teammate. Then when they both are in the bigs it eases the transition I think when you have some chemistry already with someone.

Whenever Dahlen gets a call up I think he will be put with EP for familiarity and past chemistry. I could be totally wrong and he could go on the 4th line with Beagle

Scoring aside Gaudette has impressed me from the get go. Solid 200' game. His offensive game has really started to click in. Many dangerous rushes and as I siad a wicked wrister. I just think more TOI would benefit him more.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Scoring aside Gaudette has impressed me from the get go. Solid 200' game. His offensive game has really started to click in. Many dangerous rushes and as I siad a wicked wrister. I just think more TOI would benefit him more.  

yes he does a good complete game for being so young. Surprised Green didnt give him more ice time, but that will come in time. got 2C making over 7m that are bottom 6 C here for a while too so gotta ice them when healthy

8 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Entertaining game that the comets just fell short in. Had Good chances to tie it up late and Gaunce hit a post on a breakaway...

The game came down to a Cameranisi delflection past Demko and a weak goal later on. 

Dahlen was back and looked pretty good but was paired with Arsenau and the putrid Cameranisi who was easily the worst player tonight. Multiple plays died on Cameranisi stick tonight. They need to find someone better than this guy, hopefully through a demotion from the Canucks.

Both teams had several ECHL call ups in their lineups. Gadjovich and Macmaster were healthy scratches. 

Agree.  I thought the Comets played well enough to win but couldn't score enough goals to overcome a rare bad game from Demko.  Two soft ones and then the fluke goal that went off Cameranisi's stick.

I liked how active Dahlen was last night but he needs better line mates than Cameranisi and Arseneau. Maybe after coming back from injury Cull wanted some protection from Vinny but Dahlen looks much more like a playmaker than a shooter and he needs line mates capable of handling the puck.  Arseneau and Cameranisi never saw the ice in the third period and Dahlen took Lind's spot on the line with Bancks and Darcy.  Lind was limited to just a couple shifts in the third period as Cull shorten the bench to three lines.

Lind is getting more chances mostly off the rush but is lacking that extra gear to get around the defenders.  This is a recurring theme.  Eventually he is going to get his first goal but he really needs to work on his skating over the summer to make the next step.  The good news is he is starting to become noticeable which he wasn't earlier.

A three in three coming up after Christmas with all in state rivals. Hopefully they can pull off 4 or 5 points and continue with the hot streak. I imagine Demko will get the Thursday and Saturday home games with Kulbakov playing Friday in Syracuse.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Agree.  I thought the Comets played well enough to win but couldn't score enough goals to overcome a rare bad game from Demko.  Two soft ones and then the fluke goal that went off Cameranisi's stick.

I liked how active Dahlen was last night but he needs better line mates than Cameranisi and Arseneau. Maybe after coming back from injury Cull wanted some protection from Vinny but Dahlen looks much more like a playmaker than a shooter and he needs line mates capable of handling the puck.  Arseneau and Cameranisi never saw the ice in the third period and Dahlen took Lind's spot on the line with Bancks and Darcy.  Lind was limited to just a couple shifts in the third period as Cull shorten the bench to three lines.

Lind is getting more chances mostly off the rush but is lacking that extra gear to get around the defenders.  This is a recurring theme.  Eventually he is going to get his first goal but he really needs to work on his skating over the summer to make the next step.  The good news is he is starting to become noticeable which he wasn't earlier.

A three in three coming up after Christmas with all in state rivals. Hopefully they can pull off 4 or 5 points and continue with the hot streak. I imagine Demko will get the Thursday and Saturday home games with Kulbakov playing Friday in Syracuse.

I was a long time creeper on these boards before joining this year, and always looked forward to reading your post game analysis about our prospects.

In your view, who do you think is ready to make the jump to the NHL this year if any, and who needs more time?

I've always been a fan of Brendan Gaunce.  He has great character, is a hard worker and has potential to be a solid leader, but lacks some elements to his game that would make him an everyday NHLer.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on his play this year.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed. Gaud has proven he can play at the NHL level and it is apparent what he needs to work on to reach his potential.  In Utica he would be the #1C and would have huge opportunities to increase his offensive game and skating abilities.  He would be a real bonus to other offensive players on the team; especially a guy like Dahlen who needs some help improving his 5-5 game.

Agreed for sure. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Does the org desire for maintaining fan interest in the youth movement trump what should be development priorities. Bo, BB and JP40 should be enough. Gaudette has to get ice time plain and simple. His time in Vancouver will be a huge boost as he refines his game in Utica. Being a cheerleader in the dressing room is not good enough. 

• Upvote 2