The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jay Beagle | #83 | C

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s pretty obvious is it not? Beagle put up some nice numbers there for what he brings. Outside those 2 seasons where do you even remotely see that kind of production throughout his career. He put up some 2 way numbers. Won a Stanley cup and got paid. 
He will never put up 20 points again but that doesn’t take away from the other qualities he brings. Don’t kid yourself he was not brought in for the points, the were just a hopeful bonus. 

Teams that win Stanley Cups like the Capitals did tend to have a deep team. You can bet he probably played with better players then he has here in Vancouver and as time goes on you can expect those numbers to drop with age. But for everything else he can bring it’s no brainer we probably can’t do better then what he does for that position. Hopefully he can bring some mentorship for a younger player we will need to fill that void in the coming years 

thats just homerism. Beagle is no where near the best 4th line centre. beagle is nowwhere near the top defensive centres.

saying we couldnt replace him is a joke. I could name 5 players that would do a comparable job for 1 million.

as for the mentorship, what a load of crap. assistant coaches cost 90,0000 and don't effect the cap. 36 year old beags probably has pretty little to show one of our rookies anything other than faceoffs, and how to get away with hooking. because he's so slow he cant keep up

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

thats just homerism. Beagle is no where near the best 4th line centre. beagle is nowwhere near the top defensive centres.

saying we couldnt replace him is a joke. I could name 5 players that would do a comparable job for 1 million.

as for the mentorship, what a load of crap. assistant coaches cost 90,0000 and don't effect the cap. 36 year old beags probably has pretty little to show one of our rookies anything other than faceoffs, and how to get away with hooking. because he's so slow he cant keep up

Enjoy Beags for another year 

Just now, Devron44 said:

Enjoy Beags for another year 

I can wait till he plays 55 games and gets 0g and 3 assists and is a -15.

seeing he has the 11th lowest scoring 5vs5 ratio and most likely will just get worse. hopefully mottes still on this team or otherwise we may as accept the fact beags gonna lose us some games

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

seeing he has the 11th lowest scoring 5vs5 ratio and most likely will just get worse. hopefully mottes still on this team or otherwise we may as accept the fact beags gonna lose us some games

That’s the spirit. Gotta have someone to blame for them losses

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

When you base everything on goals scored, you are missing the other part of the game. Goldobin must have been one of your favourites as he did not understand D. Goldobin is in Russia. Your perspective is wrong and as many on here have stated Leafs and Oilers are unable to win because they cannot stop the puck from going into their own net.

D wins series not just goals. 

58 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Awesome rebuttal. 

We need our young guys to learn to play the right way. The way he plays.

Sundin helped turn Kesler into the player he became.

Sedins helped turn Bo into the player he is now.

Beagle is doing the same now.

Sports are human. What is on paper does not matter. I live in Europe now and France was predicted to be the King of the Euro cup. France was knocked out by a little Swiss team because France did not come to play.

Learning to play well. Having those leaders in the room as you rebuild a team will pay dividends when the team is competing for the cup.

Stop with the garbage stats and watch hockey. Learn about the human side of sports 

The "human side" of sports is why we're stuck with an ultra-expensive and yet possibly the worst bottom six in the league. 

We needed Sutter because he's "foundational." We needed Eriksson's "chemistry" with the Sedins. We needed Beagle because of his "experience and leadership." We needed Roussel because of his "grit." 

You just cited a completely different sport as a rebuttal. How is that any better? And to make a rebuttal on that, well, upsets happen. When you see Switzerland upset France, or Iceland make it far as they did in the last Euros, you can't just cite "heart and grit" and "the human side of things" as why it occurs. Sometimes sports are random and teams are opportunistic, and to make it seem like there's always a definitive reason for it outside of their performance on the field is a stretch.

You also say that "what is on paper doesn't matter" as if there's no limit to the price you should pay for a veteran presence. Do you truly believe that some Canuck prospect is all of the sudden going to pan out because we're paying 35 y/o Jay Beagle 3M to be the fourth line centre and to give him pep talks? You don't think that money is better off being allocated to somewhere else that might help the performance side of our hockey team, which we sorely lack?

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

When you base everything on goals scored, you are missing the other part of the game. Goldobin must have been one of your favourites as he did not understand D. Goldobin is in Russia. Your perspective is wrong and as many on here have stated Leafs and Oilers are unable to win because they cannot stop the puck from going into their own net.

You do know that we're one of the worst defensive teams in the league right... 

• Cheers 1

Bottom line is that there is ZERO chance a single team offers Beagle for a 1 year/3M dollar contract if he were a free agent, which is basically the contract the Canucks are left with.

He is at the point in his career where if he were a free agent, it's unlikely he'd attract any teams for any money, and would either retire or sign overseas to finish off his career. He is an offensive zero which isn't ideal, and his defense is declining with age.

There are positives, absolutely. Leadership is one of them. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that's worth 3M. I'm sure there's a lot of free agents out there who are excellent leaders but no one is paying them 3M unless they are worth around that on the ice.

Glad for Beagle the person, but this contract hurts the Canucks and there's no argument around it. Hopefully we can still find enough money to sign a cheaper and far more effective fourth line centre, because I think Motte and Lockwood have a lot of potential as wings.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Bottom line is that there is ZERO chance a single team offers Beagle for a 1 year/3M dollar contract if he were a free agent, which is basically the contract the Canucks are left with.

He is at the point in his career where if he were a free agent, it's unlikely he'd attract any teams for any money, and would either retire or sign overseas to finish off his career. He is an offensive zero which isn't ideal, and his defense is declining with age.

There are positives, absolutely. Leadership is one of them. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that's worth 3M. I'm sure there's a lot of free agents out there who are excellent leaders but no one is paying them 3M unless they are worth around that on the ice.

Glad for Beagle the person, but this contract hurts the Canucks and there's no argument around it.

One more year

of course his contract is stupid for 3 mill. Nobody is happy with it, literally NOONE!

we cant always be focusing on that tho when we are talking about beagle. At least the guy plays unlike loui. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

One more year

of course his contract is stupid for 3 mill. Nobody is happy with it, literally NOONE!

we cant always be focusing on that tho when we are talking about beagle. At least the guy plays unlike loui. 

Well the news we were waiting for was either:

1. Beagle could play and would count towards our cap ($3M).

2. Beagle couldn't play and would be exempt.

It turns out that the former was true, and some posters were happy with it as if it was preferential news for the cap-strapped Canucks, which was why I commented. And I'm not sure we can even really say he "plays unlike Loui." I mean, he'll be 36 next year!!! A lot of excellent players can't even play at 36, let alone a career role player in Beagle. You don't think we could find a younger and more productive player in that 4C role?

Edited by Grape

On 6/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, mll said:

This season Green has kept him mostly away from top-6 competition.  Feels like his line has no real role anymore.  They don't take on tough matchups

nsis

vs the fact that he's the team's leading penalty killing forward - exclusively 'top 6 competition' - (while shorthanded)....yeah - doesn't take on tough matchups.

cool story.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Well the news we were waiting for was either:

1. Beagle could play and would count towards our cap ($3M).

2. Beagle couldn't play and would be exempt.

It turns out that the former was true, and some posters were happy with it as if it was preferential news for the Canucks, which was why I commented. And I'm not sure we can even really say he "plays unlike Loui." I mean, he'll be 36 next year!!! A lot of excellent players can't even play at 36, let alone a career role player in Beagle.

I dunno. I guess it depends how well he looks at training camp. I think if his age has caught up to him i dont see why green wouldnt bury him in the AHL? If he comes in good shape next season and makes the team i dont see the problem regardless of his age.

21 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

in 5v5 shots he is in last place, meaning no one has done worse than him. it's simply a ratio showing how many shots the canucks get when beagle is on the ice.

and the EV GF% is 38.7% or 11th worst in the league.

and his defensive prowess. Tka/60 is 31% meaning that 70% of forwards are better corner battlers than beags.

his block shots is impressive but he does play pk too. he has 85% better numbers than the rest of the league.

and he has better hits/60 than 75% of people.

beags is a mess

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

The "human side" of sports is why we're stuck with an ultra-expensive and yet possibly the worst bottom six in the league. 

We needed Sutter because he's "foundational." We needed Eriksson's "chemistry" with the Sedins. We needed Beagle because of his "experience and leadership." We needed Roussel because of his "grit." 

You just cited a completely different sport as a rebuttal. How is that any better? And to make a rebuttal on that, well, upsets happen. When you see Switzerland upset France, or Iceland make it far as they did in the last Euros, you can't just cite "heart and grit" and "the human side of things" as why it occurs. Sometimes sports are random and teams are opportunistic, and to make it seem like there's always a definitive reason for it outside of their performance on the field is a stretch.

You also say that "what is on paper doesn't matter" as if there's no limit to the price you should pay for a veteran presence. Do you truly believe that some Canuck prospect is all of the sudden going to pan out because we're paying 35 y/o Jay Beagle 3M to be the fourth line centre and to give him pep talks? You don't think that money is better off being allocated to somewhere else that might help the performance side of our hockey team, which we sorely lack?

Do not change what I meant. I said that when the contract was signed it was good value if slightly over because the cap was going up. You cannot hold a guys contract against him due to Covid causing a flat cap.

Again, I have said this many times, I do not think the Canucks were themselves last season. I think they are much better. So, worst defensive team last year, OK. However if you are going that route, you need to remember that our bottom 6 started the season running. It was Our top 6 and D that could not play for the first 20ish games. Green then over played the Top 6 and often pulled the goalie with copious amounts of time left which lead to goals against. 

Also, we were one of the worst D teams in the league so posters here keep saying they want more O. How is that sensible? We need better D oriented players.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

in 5v5 shots he is in last place, meaning no one has done worse than him. it's simply a ratio showing how many shots the canucks get when beagle is on the ice.

and the EV GF% is 38.7% or 11th worst in the league.

and his defensive prowess. Tka/60 is 31% meaning that 70% of forwards are better corner battlers than beags.

his block shots is impressive but he does play pk too. he has 85% better numbers than the rest of the league.

and he has better hits/60 than 75% of people.

beags is a mess

Who is on the ice against Beags?

If you like stats so much why are the Leafs unable to get past the 1st round? Dubas is all about stats yet the leafs are good in the regular season and terrible in the post-season.

Edited by FaninMex

1 hour ago, Grape said:

thank you, a breath of fresh air.

I don't know how much bull crap i've listened to about leadership presence.   hire 10 assistant coaches, they dont effect the cap.