The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jay Beagle | #83 | C

-SN-

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

his on the fly numbers are actually 1/2 what they were in WSH tho. 280 d zone face offs too. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&playerid=8474291&sit=5v5&stype=2

I just don't think the criticism of his game is fair at this point, given what his role was here and who he's been paired with. 

He played mostly with Roussel.  Both vets who were signed to 4 year deals to shelter the kids.  Green has cut back his responsibilities and he no longer had that role last season.  It buried Horvat in matchups. 

They need to find a way to give a more meaningful role to the bottom-6 or it's going to continue to put all the pressure on the top-6.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Beagle takes less than 4 D-zone draws per game at EV - and about 7 per game.  His shifts are mostly on the fly.  Zone starts is a ratio but he takes less d-zone draws than Horvat.

This season Green has kept him mostly away from top-6 competition.  Feels like his line has no real role anymore.  They don't take on tough matchups but they also don't produce - doesn't provide offensive or defensive relief for the top-6.

At the end of the season Benning/Green talked of playing more in the opponents end.  Would guess that they want to re-think the bottom-6 to try and provide more support for the top-6.  

I really wish people would stop using the zone starts stat as some sort of proxy for how much someone is leaned on defensively.  It just doesn't tell you that.

It is literally corrected for minutes and usage by standardizing it as a ratio and not pure counting numbers.  It is how people make mistakes overestimating bottom of the roster players.

It also just doesn't measure much anyways.  75-80% of shifts are on the fly depending on the player, so the ration ignores those entirely.  The difference between a 40% oZone start number and a 60% oZone start could literally be an extra shift in one particular zone every few games.  Even the guys with a % on one extreme or the other really only have about 1 extra shift every 3-4 games in one zone over the other one.  That doesn't tell you how much they are leaned on or how effective they are in those situations.

Interestingly a presentation was made in a big hockey stats conference showing that zone starts had effectively no impact on Corsi... so the oft used statement XX player was good because they had 55% dzone starts but still managed a 49% Corsi in those tough minutes.. just doesn't bear any actual scrutiny.

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

his on the fly numbers are actually 1/2 what they were in WSH tho. 280 d zone face offs too. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&playerid=8474291&sit=5v5&stype=2

I just don't think the criticism of his game is fair at this point, given what his role was here and who he's been paired with. 

oh here, now we can analyze.  all his teammates scored more points when playing without beagle except pelley-smith and schaller who were at the end of their short nhl careers. players like wilson, stephenson and motte make beagle look good offensively.Yes, I believe he helped all of the above players learn the defensive side of the game and thats great. But Motte deserves a chance to play with a more offensive center because that is were his game is growing right now. I believe motte can score 20 goals with the right center and a healthy year (if thats possible with the way he plays)

and if motte deserves a better center than were going to have to sign a ufa to Complement beagle and that doesnt seem right. thats why in my proposal I suggested we sign cedric paquette to a below 1.25 million dollar deal (cap-friendly suggested) who plays a very similar game to motte.

2020/2021

Num Time % Line GF GA +/- SF SA SF% CF CA CF%
1 56:52 20.3 JAY BEAGLE - ANTOINE ROUSSEL - TYLER MOTTE 3 0 3 22 38 36.7 41 68 37.6
2 39:54 14.3 BRANDON SUTTER - JAY BEAGLE - TYLER MOTTE 2 4 -2 29 19 60.4 52 38 57.8
3 27:57 10.0 LOUI ERIKSSON - JAY BEAGLE - JAKE VIRTANEN 0 1 -1 12 15 44.4 20 31 39.2
4 27:38 9.9 JAY BEAGLE - ANTOINE ROUSSEL - JAYCE HAWRYLUK 0 0 0 20 8 71.4 31 15 67.4
5 18:05 6.5 JAY BEAGLE - JAKE VIRTANEN - TYLER MOTTE 0 0 0 9 8 52.9 15 14 51.7

2019/2020

Even Strength Line Combinations

26.4 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - SCHALLER,TIM
16.5 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - SUTTER,BRANDON
12.9 BEAGLE,JAY - ERIKSSON,LOUI - SCHALLER,TIM
7 BEAGLE,JAY - SCHALLER,TIM - VIRTANEN,JAKE
5.9 BEAGLE,JAY - SCHALLER,TIM - SUTTER,BRANDON
PTS %Total Line Combination
2 33.3 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - SUTTER,BRANDON
1 16.7 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER
1 16.7 BEAGLE,JAY - ERIKSSON,LOUI - SUTTER,BRANDON
1 16.7 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - SCHALLER,TIM
1 16.7 BEAGLE,JAY - ERIKSSON,LOUI - SCHALLER,TIM

2018/2019

Freq Line Combination
25.8 BEAGLE,JAY - ERIKSSON,LOUI - MOTTE,TYLER
14.6 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - SCHALLER,TIM
8.6 BEAGLE,JAY - MOTTE,TYLER - ROUSSEL,ANTOINE
8.6 BEAGLE,JAY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - SCHALLER,TIM
6.1 BEAGLE,JAY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - MOTTE,TYLER
  %Total Line Combination
2 16.7 NO LINEMATES
2 16.7 BEAGLE,JAY - ERIKSSON,LOUI - MOTTE,TYLER
1 8.3 BEAGLE,JAY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - MOTTE,TYLER
1 8.3 BEAGLE,JAY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - SCHALLER,TIM
1 8.3 BEAGLE,JAY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - LEIPSIC,BRENDAN

2017/2018

24.1 BEAGLE,JAY - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER
15.8 BEAGLE,JAY - CHIASSON,ALEX - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER
10.2 BEAGLE,JAY - CHIASSON,ALEX - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE
2.9 BEAGLE,JAY - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE - WALKER,NATHAN
2.8 BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - BEAGLE,JAY - OSHIE,T.J.
5 23.8 BEAGLE,JAY - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER
3 14.3 BEAGLE,JAY - CHIASSON,ALEX - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER
2 9.5 BEAGLE,JAY - CHIASSON,ALEX - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE
2 9.5 BEAGLE,JAY - CONNOLLY,BRETT - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE
1 4.8 BEAGLE,JAY - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER - WALKER,NATHAN

2016/2017

55.2 BEAGLE,JAY - WILSON,TOM - WINNIK,DANIEL
4.2 BEAGLE,JAY - SANFORD,ZACHARY - WILSON,TOM
4 BEAGLE,JAY - CONNOLLY,BRETT - SANFORD,ZACHARY
3.2 BEAGLE,JAY - CONNOLLY,BRETT - WILSON,TOM
2.6 BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - BEAGLE,JAY - OSHIE,T.J.
15 57.7 BEAGLE,JAY - WILSON,TOM - WINNIK,DANIEL
2 7.7 BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - BEAGLE,JAY - OSHIE,T.J.
1 3.8 BEAGLE,JAY - BURAKOVSKY,ANDRE - OSHIE,T.J.
1 3.8 BEAGLE,JAY - SANFORD,ZACHARY - WILSON,TOM
1 3.8 BEAGLE,JAY - SANFORD,ZACHARY - WINNIK,DANIEL
Edited by Petey_BOI

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

oh here, now we can analyze.  all his teammates scored more points when playing without beagle except pelley-smith and schaller who were at the end of their short nhl careers. players like wilson, stephenson and motte make beagle look good offensively.Yes, I believe he helped all of the above players learn the defensive side of the game and thats great. But Motte deserves a chance to play with a more offensive center because that is were his game is growing right now. I believe motte can score 20 goals with the right center and a healthy year (if thats possible with the way he plays)

and if motte deserves a better center than were going to have to sign a ufa to Complement beagle and that doesnt seem right. thats why in my proposal I suggested we sign cedric paquette to a below 1.25 million dollar deal (cap-friendly suggested) who plays a very similar game to motte.

2020/2021

1 56:52 20.3 JAY BEAGLE - ANTOINE ROUSSEL - TYLER MOTTE 3 0 3 22 38 36.7 41 68 37.6
2 39:54 14.3 BRANDON SUTTER - JAY BEAGLE - TYLER MOTTE 2 4 -2 29 19 60.4 52 38 57.8
3 27:57 10.0 LOUI ERIKSSON - JAY BEAGLE - JAKE VIRTANEN 0 1 -1 12 15 44.4 20 31 39.2
4 27:38 9.9 JAY BEAGLE - ANTOINE ROUSSEL - JAYCE HAWRYLUK 0 0 0 20 8 71.4 31 15 67.4

2019/2020

2018/2019

Freq Line Combination

2 16.7 NO LINEMATES

2017/2018

2016/2017

episode 2 the googles do nothing GIF

3 hours ago, mll said:

He played mostly with Roussel.  Both vets who were signed to 4 year deals to shelter the kids.  Green has cut back his responsibilities and he no longer had that role last season.  It buried Horvat in matchups. 

They need to find a way to give a more meaningful role to the bottom-6 or it's going to continue to put all the pressure on the top-6.  

I know, I watched the games too :lol: Rous' leg is clearly not what it was. Beagle playing hurt. It was a rough year for them both. 

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

2020/2021

2019/2020

2018/2019

Freq Line Combination
  %Total Line Combination
2 16.7 NO LINEMATES

2017/2018

2016/2017

So thats all great. Who's better at 4C for important face offs in our lineup right now? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So thats all great. Who's better at 4C for important face offs in our lineup right now? 

I believe faceoffs is the most overrated stat in the NHL. Beagles 56-59% is how many posessions more than someone with 45%. I'll take 1 point over 20 faceoff wins

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I believe faceoffs is the most overrated stat in the NHL. Beagles 56-59% is how many posessions more than someone with 45%. I'll take 1 point over 20 faceoff wins

thats where we differ I guess. I want our best face-off guy taking important draws when the games on the line. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Good stuff. Not everyone will agree but I love how Beagle plays and is an important player. Hopefully age and the injury haven’t caught up to him quite yet. I’m comfortable with him as the 4th line centre 

Yeah hes a good C obviously his cap hit sucks but we need a 4th line center bad and hes pretty good.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Good stuff. Not everyone will agree but I love how Beagle plays and is an important player. Hopefully age and the injury haven’t caught up to him quite yet. I’m comfortable with him as the 4th line centre 

I'm happy about this. Yes his deal was a year too long, but we actually need him this year, and its also his last year here in all likelihood. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm happy about this. Yes his deal was a year too long, but we actually need him this year, and its also his last year here in all likelihood. 

Yup unless he has a decent year. We could offer him another year with less AAV of course 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yup unless he has a decent year. We could offer him another year with less AAV of course 

thats fine by me if he's still good and willing to do a <1 mil deal. 

• Upvote 1