The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jay Beagle | #83 | C

-SN-

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Over a month since the season ended, and nothing on the extent of his "injury". 

Yes.... suspicious....  but, I'm thinking Benning has probably planned for him to have a Kucherov-type 'mystery injury' that will keep him on LTIR all season, then have him proclaimed magically rehabbed just in time to throw the team on his shoulders and carry them all the way to their first Stanley Cup!:towel:

So that's why I'm not concerned.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Over a month since the season ended, and nothing on the extent of his "injury". 

neck disc issues can take a really long time to resolve, he might be waiting as long as possible before going under the knife. Its not a nice surgery. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

neck disc issues can take a really long time to resolve, he might be waiting as long as possible before going under the knife. Its not a nice surgery. 

I hadn't heard that JMc, that ended Darcy Rota's career, and to a certain extent Gary Roberts.

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Him being 35 years old (turns 36 in October) doesn't help (re: coming back from an injury like that).

• Vintage 1

On 6/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, AbrasiveAjax said:

I keep seeing posts references to LTIR for Beagle next year, yet can't find a source?

Dhaliwal at the end of the season said that the Canucks are operating on the assumption that he will return at some point next season.

The NHL also doesn't consider his injury to be career ending.  They have just released their lists of injured players exempt from the expansion draft due to injury and he's not on it.  Only players who have close to no chance of ever playing again are on the list.   The list is established by the NHL and agreed upon by the NHLPA. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:56 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Same injury as Dorset had?  I can see why it’s very likely Beagle isn’t coming back.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Same injury as Dorset had?  I can see why it’s very likely Beagle isn’t coming back.

not sure, if it were that bad I would think we'd be hearing about retirement. We've had very little to go on. Some report somewhere said neck issue, and its been a really long time. Plus he has skated with the team, so its not something that stops him from other activities. 

They've given out so little info on it, and nothing has leaked. So we just have to wait and see. 

I really hope he is able to play, with all that time off I'd expect him to do well as 4C for us for 1 more year. We actually need one. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure, if it were that bad I would think we'd be hearing about retirement. We've had very little to go on. Some report somewhere said neck issue, and its been a really long time. Plus he has skated with the team, so its not something that stops him from other activities. 

They've given out so little info on it, and nothing has leaked. So we just have to wait and see. 

I really hope he is able to play, with all that time off I'd expect him to do well as 4C for us for 1 more year. We actually need one. 

Can’t retire though, or he doesn’t get paid.  Guys have to try (at least publicly say they are) to come back to play until the league says they can’t recover.  Still they go on LTI, and don’t formally retire.  Although for all intents and purposes they are retired.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Can’t retire though, or he doesn’t get paid.  Guys have to try (at least publicly say they are) to come back to play until the league says they can’t recover.  Still they go on LTI, and don’t formally retire.  Although for all intents and purposes they are retired.  

I meant the NHL version of "retire" in Robidas Island. 

I really like Jay tho, if he's well rested and ready he could be great for us, particularly if he's thinking about playing more. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure tbh. I just kind of assumed he was a little banged up and didn't see this coming. 

.Here is a glimmer of preminition

1:00-1:10

• Cheers 1

in the last 3 years beagle's line has averaged the least amount of shots on net for all forwards who have played at least 80 games. and is 11th worst in the league for on ice GF% In the same time. lets hope he doesnt play again this year. yes i assume 3-4 minutes of his 12 minutes is taking faceoffs in his own zone, but if you can't make a zone entry because your not skilled enough, we WILL get scored on.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

in the last 3 years beagle has averaged the least amount of shots on net for all forwards who have played at least 80 games. and is 11th worst in the league for on ice GF% In the same time. lets hope he doesnt play again this year. yes i assume 3-4 minutes of his 12 minutes is taking faceoffs in his own zone, but if you can't make a zone entry because your not skilled enough, we WILL get scored on.

did you happen to correlate that with his zone time? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

did you happen to correlate that with his zone time? 

no, but 7/10 when beagle makes a change we don't have the puck. when you have little chance to score when he's on the ice and your just chasing after he gets off what did we gain? the answer is treading water. were much better off with him injured and using his cap ltir replacement. who would you rather have on the ice getzlaf or beagle?

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

no, but 7/10 when beagle makes a change we don't have the puck. when you have little chance to score when he's on the ice and your just chasing after he gets off what did we gain? the answer is treading water. were much better off with him injured and using his cap ltir replacement. who would you rather have on the ice getzlaf or beagle?

especially when you consider we have a defenceman like hughes, who to be nice gets pushed around in his own zone. It's that more imperative that we have the puck on OUR stick

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

so you want him to win draws close to 60% of the time, 80% of the time in the d-zone, and carry the puck out, and also score. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations? Maybe Jay needs better line mates? 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so you want him to win draws close to 60% of the time, 80% of the time in the d-zone, and carry the puck out, and also score. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations? Maybe Jay needs better line mates? 

Beagle takes less than 4 D-zone draws per game at EV - and about 7 per game.  His shifts are mostly on the fly.  Zone starts is a ratio but he takes less d-zone draws than Horvat.

This season Green has kept him mostly away from top-6 competition.  Feels like his line has no real role anymore.  They don't take on tough matchups but they also don't produce - doesn't provide offensive or defensive relief for the top-6.

At the end of the season Benning/Green talked of playing more in the opponents end.  Would guess that they want to re-think the bottom-6 to try and provide more support for the top-6.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Beagle takes less than 4 D-zone draws per game at EV - and about 7 per game.  His shifts are mostly on the fly.  Zone starts is a ratio but he takes less d-zone draws than Horvat.

This season Green has kept him mostly away from top-6 competition.  Feels like his line has no real role anymore.  They don't take on tough matchups but they also don't produce - doesn't provide offensive or defensive relief for the top-6.

At the end of the season Benning/Green talked of playing more in the opponents end.  Would guess that they want to re-think the bottom-6 to try and provide more support for the top-6.  

his on the fly numbers are actually 1/2 what they were in WSH tho. 280 d zone face offs too. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&playerid=8474291&sit=5v5&stype=2

I just don't think the criticism of his game is fair at this point, given what his role was here and who he's been paired with.