The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Current Ownership Failing this Team?

Dungass

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:picard::lol:

Action speak louder then words. They hired Linden . RIGHT? They new what was up.

No one needs a rumor to say that.:rolleyes:

Of coarse you never select statements from certain articles that promote your ideas ,do you?     LOL

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

While scootering down the sidewalk on Georgia today, I read (clearly written in pink chalk beneath my tires) that Linden left because he’s ill.

Would this be concrete evidence?  

Of coarse. There is potential for it to be true. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

You can't say this without proof.  If this is the case then it would go a long way to relax the fans minds. Those who want a proper rebuild .

If this was the case then why didn't they hire management that had the same agenda. They made the choice to put Linden in place.

Prove your statement !

Mike Gillis did ok in 2011.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:09 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

I don't disagree with you one bit. Yes, the Aquilinis have put money into the franchise, ie. purchasing an AHL franchise for player development and the upcoming building of an adjacent practice rink by Rogers Arena. However, those things don't mean a darn thing when the entire organization has to walk on eggshells to avoid demotion/termination of employment.

Stanleycanucks, I'm also a Whitecaps season-ticket holder. Prior to Linden's (firing), I had vouched for the Aquilinis to purchase the Whitecaps because the current 'Caps ownership has been an absentee and downright cheap disaster. Greg Kerfoot's Waterfront Stadium proposal by Gastown was a hoax. Kerfoot was offered another site at Main and Terminal but turned it down. So, now, we have no soccer-specific stadium with real grass, therefore costing Vancouver part of the 2026 World Cup. Kerfoot and Jeff Mallett continue to refuse to bring in higher quality players like several other MLS clubs. So-called "BC's Mr. Soccer" Bob Lenarduzzi has done nothing but spin-doctor ownership's cheapness. Now, I'm not sure if I want the Aquilinis to purchase the 'Caps. Sure, they would invest in the club unlike the current ownership, however, like you said, it comes down to culture.

People I've spoken to have never had nice nor positive things to say about the Aquilinis. Luigi Aquilini, the 'Godfather' of the family, is pretty much involved in the Canucks' operations from what I have heard and how many times have we heard the Aquilinis be referred to as slumlords?? The two younger Aquilini brothers seem to be okay but Francesco is the BIG problem...his childish outbursts after the Game 7 loss to Boston, his divorce from his beautiful wife who gave him several children, his close ties with our corrupt mayor Gregor Robertson, his shady split from Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie and of course, his lack of hockey operations stability due to his short-term greed for playoff revenue instead of long-term one-ice success which would mean regular long playoff runs and far more revenue.

I've heard rumours over the years that the Aquilinis want to sell the Canucks but not the arena. I don't know of any one local business person who can afford to buy the club. Vancouver has absolutely no business nor corporate community. Just the crooked real estate development industry with Chinese money(a good portion of it laundered) tied up into it. Therefore, we may be stuck with the Aquilinis, come hell or high water. Yes, we want the Canucks to be a Stanley Cup contender again and eventually capture the club's first ever championship, but I also want our Canucks to be perceived as a first-class organization. The annual Canucks-For-Kids telethons, Canucks Autism Network and Raise-A-Reader events are not enough.

My stomach turns every time whenever I see Francesco with his messy hairdo, his fake smile, his white goatee and his big black Seth Rogen horn rims.

I hear ya Tiger-Hearted. There was a time when I gave the Aquilinis the benefit of the doubt as well. Now, there's just too many corpses to keep doing so. I've met one of the Aquilinis and he was not a relaxed or comfortable man. Seemed like he'd been used to walking on eggshells his whole life.

Let's hope something positive happens!

On 8/17/2018 at 12:27 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Actually it was the Aquilini's that wanted a total tear down so they could get a better chance at McDavid but Linden/Benning talked them into that it was not necessary.

The owner's knew that the team needed to replace the Sedins in order to keep the franchise value up and knew there were two real hot shot draft prospects coming up.

People talk about playoff revenue, that is puny compared to the loss of franchise value, remember that when the Canucks were making the playoffs they were also donating over 12 mil plus a significant portion of playoff revenue's to the NHL.

The franchise lost an estimated value of 140 million during Linden's tenure and a huge loss in marketing goods not counting gate receipts.

The deal signed with Linden gave him total control, including salaries and terms, of the team for 4 years/seasons. His deal was 4 years plus an option. And yes he was coaxed into the job, also remember Aquilini's kids needed protection from crazy fans harassing them and hiring Linden on his terms defused that situation.

This owner purchased the team from an absentee owner that hired accounts to run the team and wanted to move the franchise, while the team's ownership was in question the NHL essentially ran the team

Francesco, is that you? Thanks for revealing what you were thinking prior to the McDavid draft.

By the way, the franchise lost $140mil in revenue because the product began sucking, and fans began looking elsewhere, even while the Sedins were continuing to post their Hall of Fame numbers. People must have been pretty pissed to turn their backs on all that - what do you think caused that Francesco?

Lastly, just because McCaw was terrible doesn't mean we're lucky to have the Aquilinis. We've gone from a sh*t sandwich to a garbage pizza. Thanks, but I'll pass.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, appleboy said:

We may never see a new owner. Or, I may never see a new owner in my life time. We are stuck with them. 

The biggest concern for me is that they refuse to hire competant management and just let them do their job. They always bring in people who are green. They are always somewhat involved in hockey decisions. 

Interest in owning an NHL franchise has never been bigger. Once the real estate market in Vancouver starts its downturn, the Aquilinis will be much more motivated to take the right offer. Real estate is like oil and gas - boom and bust industry and everyone knows Vancouver is due for a correction. I'm exercising patience.

15 minutes ago, stanleycanucks said:

Interest in owning an NHL franchise has never been bigger. Once the real estate market in Vancouver starts its downturn, the Aquilinis will be much more motivated to take the right offer. Real estate is like oil and gas - boom and bust industry and everyone knows Vancouver is due for a correction. I'm exercising patience.

be careful what you wish for, the next billionaire owner may be much worse. There's only a small pool of egomaniac's capable of buying an NHL team. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

be careful what you wish for, the next billionaire owner may be much worse. There's only a small pool of egomaniac's capable of buying an NHL team. 

I hear ya Jimmy McGill. The devil you know, right? I'm willing to roll the dice as I feel that there's a good chance that we could get a decent egomaniac. But it's sorta like the draft so you're right, you never know. All I can do is dare to dream...

A steady stream of management firings shows that our club has no stability which hampers the clubs ability to sign elite talent on the ice or in office.  

Hopefully the club can fully commit to a rebuild and not force management to “ win now “

30 minutes ago, stanleycanucks said:

I hear ya Jimmy McGill. The devil you know, right? I'm willing to roll the dice as I feel that there's a good chance that we could get a decent egomaniac. But it's sorta like the draft so you're right, you never know. All I can do is dare to dream...

whatever else Francesco is he did get us to the cup finals once. We have a great prospect pool, best ever in fact. Yeah he does some stupid things because imo he's a terrible personnel manager, something which I've heard indirectly from other sources as well. My wife was at a meeting where one of their senior managers was speaking (I won't say which one) and he basically said the same thing. But fortunately there's a lot of talent coming and he seems committed to that path. Whatever happened with Linden shouldn't effect that. 

On 8/17/2018 at 12:27 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Actually it was the Aquilini's that wanted a total tear down so they could get a better chance at McDavid but Linden/Benning talked them into that it was not necessary.

The owner's knew that the team needed to replace the Sedins in order to keep the franchise value up and knew there were two real hot shot draft prospects coming up.

People talk about playoff revenue, that is puny compared to the loss of franchise value, remember that when the Canucks were making the playoffs they were also donating over 12 mil plus a significant portion of playoff revenue's to the NHL.

The franchise lost an estimated value of 140 million during Linden's tenure and a huge loss in marketing goods not counting gate receipts.

The deal signed with Linden gave him total control, including salaries and terms, of the team for 4 years/seasons. His deal was 4 years plus an option. And yes he was coaxed into the job, also remember Aquilini's kids needed protection from crazy fans harassing them and hiring Linden on his terms defused that situation.

This owner purchased the team from an absentee owner that hired accounts to run the team and wanted to move the franchise, while the team's ownership was in question the NHL essentially ran the team

The NHL never ran the team...

Archived