The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has the Western World Lost Moderate/Centrist Politics?

Rob_Zepp

Not sure if it’s been talked about in other threads, but looks like we won’t be seeing much in the way of “moderate/centrist politics” in Canadian newspapers.

The conservative media bias, when it comes to most of the print media in this country, will be taking a sharp turn even further to the right.

Hard to imagine what a more conservative Postmedia would even look like. 

The National Post not conservative enough?

Already strongly right-leaning papers told they need to “become more reliable” in their conservative politics?

Wow. :sadno:

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Unemployment is down because more people have to work two or three jobs just to make ends meet.

Ummmmm, what?

unemployment is calculated by the number of people not working compared to the number of people in the labor force. Whether they have multiple jobs or not has no impact on the calculation.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Kragar said:

Ummmmm, what?

unemployment is calculated by the number of people not working compared to the number of people in the labor force. Whether they have multiple jobs or not has no impact on the calculation.

You , my fellow Canucks fan, are  correct. My bad.....not sure what I was thinking (or not thinking)...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 12:38 AM, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Unemployment is down because more people have to work two or three jobs just to make ends meet.

The problem seems to be that there is a lack of meaningful employment.

Sure the unemployment rate is low, but that alone doesn't necessarily mean that people are well off. In this case it just means that there is a huge surplus of jobs that do not pay well at all, which is why so so many people have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Its just a way for Trump to cynically claim that unemployment is not proliferate as if that tells the entire story. His supporters dont seem to care about any of this. As long as he shouts "fake news" they will heed his every word.

Millions of people trust Donald Trump. They believe Donald Trump. It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Edited by Red Light Racicot

8 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

You , my fellow Canucks fan, are  correct. My bad.....not sure what I was thinking (or not thinking)...

No worries.  Someone else made the same mistake, AOC I believe.  so that may be driving the narrative.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Red Light Racicot said:

Sure the unemployment rate is low, but that alone doesn't necessarily mean that people are well off. In this case it just means that there is a huge surplus of jobs that do not pay well at all, which is why so so many people have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Its just a way for Trump to cynically claim that unemployment is not proliferate as if that tells the entire story. His supporters dont seem to care about any of this. As long as he shouts "fake news" they will heed his every word.

Millions of people trust Donald Trump. They believe Donald Trump. It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life.

And unemployment isn’t an expression of the success of one president but of a generation of progress.  It’s also the result of almost random variable such as world politics and commodity pricing.

Although I do give trump some credit for low unemployment numbers.  BUT this is a result of tax cuts so he also gets extra(relative to other factors) credit for future under education, poor medical outcome, regressing infustructure etc.

In regards to cetered politics-The opposition has become an expression of discontent and anger.  I think we need mandated campaign reform to strip out rhetoric and populism.  I’d love to take a look at one website and read all party’s climate policies.  Without exclamation marks, without calling other party’s or ideas dumb or SAD(god I hate that one), no ads to articles claiming Sheer is a lizard person, just information to inform people.  This doesn’t only protect us from ourselves but also outside influences.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Red Light Racicot said:

Did you know the rate of people working multiple jobs has not changed a whole lot since 2010, the end of the meltdown from '08?  Clinging to this concern, in an attack against Trump is silly.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/4-point-9-percent-of-workers-held-more-than-one-job-at-the-same-time-in-2017.htm?view_full

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Did you know the rate of people working multiple jobs has not changed a whole lot since 2010, the end of the meltdown from '08?  Clinging to this concern, in an attack against Trump is silly.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/4-point-9-percent-of-workers-held-more-than-one-job-at-the-same-time-in-2017.htm?view_full

I think your kinda right.  People working multiple jobs shows not only a need for money but also people willing to work more.  People may work one job, and have a low quality of life because they don’t have time/don’t want to work another job.  I think working that much is as detrimental as having less money and people realize it.

16 minutes ago, Kragar said:

No worries.  Someone else made the same mistake, AOC I believe.  so that may be driving the narrative.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/jul/18/alexandria-ocasio-cortez/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-wrong-several-counts-abou/

Edited by gttxc
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

Google - American Inventors, White woman with kids, White father with kids...

If you were so inclined, you could fill a day interchanging words to search. You may notice the social engineering at work, altering reality. Nobody bats an eye.  

The Coudenhove Plan in full-swing, but people would rather talk about newspapers, Trump and anything else deflecting their preoccupied minds onto some symptom, but never the root. 

Its shameful how sheep-like the West has become, doing the bidding of others to their demise. This is certainly not our ancestors’ tomorrow that they thought they were building for their people. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gttxc said:

I think your kinda right.  People working multiple jobs shows not only a need for money but also people willing to work more.  People may work one job, and have a low quality of life because they don’t have time/don’t want to work another job.  I think working that much is as detrimental as having less money and people realize it.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/jul/18/alexandria-ocasio-cortez/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-wrong-several-counts-abou/

Everyone's got their own reasons, of course. There are some who have to work 2 or 3 part time jobs because they have minimal skills or experience, and/or are single parents, and trying to survive in a difficult environment.  Some are people taking an extra job for a while to cut down their debt or save up for something big.  Some have had their manufacturing job, or any other struggling industry, disappear, and they replace the income as best they can.

It is easy to get caught up in the rhetoric.  I know I have at times too.  Politicians spend their whole careers trying to manipulate our line of thinking, as does a large portion of the media.  We just do the best we can with what we've got, and try to make some good decisions now and then.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

If you were so inclined, you could fill a day interchanging words to search. You may notice the social engineering at work, altering reality. Nobody bats an eye.  

The Coudenhove Plan in full-swing, but people would rather talk about newspapers, Trump and anything else deflecting their preoccupied minds onto some symptom, but never the root. 

Its shameful how sheep-like the West has become, doing the bidding of others to their demise. This is certainly not our ancestors’ tomorrow that they thought they were building for their people. 

That's interesting. The 'White parent with kids' search, I actually expected to see different colour children, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because of the way it's prefixed, but if you change out the word 'White' with 'Black' or 'Asian' the opposite does not occur.

The American Inventors search has the top sites claiming exactly what you are pointing out. Is that like a self fulfilling prophecy? Is that site populating the top images? In fact, if you search those words you get educated on what you fear as soon as you click on the top sites. Therefore, is google really hiding something? of are they being made to look so?

Also, the second suggestion google pops up after ;'american inventors' is 'american inventors google search reddit'.......again going on about what you are stating. Seems to me google is just showing the most popular searches?

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t get it 189.  What is the issue at hand?  Is it a US thing?  

4 minutes ago, infinitecarnage said:

Not saying that there aren't people out there that think silly things like this. However I just read that this is fake and first appeared on 4chan ( prepared by a right winger)

Can you find the original meme origin and post? I only can find articles talking about it. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not saying that there aren't people out there that think silly things like this. However I just read that this is fake and first appeared on 4chan ( prepared by a right winger)

Can you find the original meme origin and post? I only can find articles talking about it. 

Is a trans woman a female in her private’s?  If she is all female, then of course straight men would date her.  If she’s a he (down there) then now way a straight guy will date her.  

Just because someone sees themselves as a female, doesn’t mean we (straight men) will too, right?  

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

i sincerely hope it's fake because this is beyond stupid. sjws have gone bats**t crazy to a point that i didn't feel the need to question if it's fake or real. i mean this is the kind of thing that you'd expect them to say