The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - 2018 Canucks' Young Stars Tournament

xereau

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

Was at the game tonight. 

My take aways were.

Pettersson: as advertised, has a real laser beam. He plays some real heads-up hockey moves the puck super well and backchecks well with a quick stick. Don't see much hustle from him though without the puck he just sorta cruises around. He gave the odd crosscheck in puck battles but overall isn't strong on the wall also had a guy perfectly lined up to throw a monster hit pulled the chute and went for the puck instead the player he had lined up then turned around and crushed him into the boards and took the puck. 

I got the same read from him as well. I am hoping he becomes more of a "Forsberg" then a "Sedin" when he finally starts playing in the NHL. Forsberg was more of an intense player who played with a bit of an edge. Loved the Sedins but they lacked that competitive intensity where they played to "win at all costs". Maybe some time in the AHL will help him with that.

Jasek: Total floater flybye queen he was literally just a warm body on the ice looked like he was at a Sunday free skate.

I also felt he floated around quite a bit too. Again no urgency or intensity in his game.

Juolevi: Played a completely un eventful game. He was always in position and just made the smart plays super calm looked like Chris Tanev zero flash but just solid. Kinda guy you want out there when you are protecting a 1 goal lead. 

He looks like an Ohlund out there. Real composure and just goes about his game without making mistakes and does all the right things without being too flashy.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I got the same read from him as well. I am hoping he becomes more of a "Forsberg" then a "Sedin" when he finally starts playing in the NHL. Forsberg was more of an intense player who played with a bit of an edge. Loved the Sedins but they lacked that competitive intensity where they played to "win at all costs". Maybe some time in the AHL will help him with that.

I also felt he floated around quite a bit too. Again no urgency or intensity in his game.

He looks like an Ohlund out there. Real composure and just goes about his game without making mistakes and does all the right things without being too flashy.

You keep saying you loved the Sedins', but every time I see one of your posts, you always put them down.  You sir are a hypocrite!  You can't make a comment without bashing the Sedins'.

As for EP, I hope he becomes better than all of them.  I hope he's a special talent that will be the best swede to ever play the game! 

He has things to work on (faceoffs, strength, to name a few) but nobody is perfect.  These issues will hopefully improve over time.  As for what I saw in the 2 games, he is as advertised in the skill department.  His shooting is unreal, and his passing is also great.  I look forward to watching him play for years to come.

6 hours ago, Viper007 said:

You keep saying you loved the Sedins', but every time I see one of your posts, you always put them down.  You sir are a hypocrite!  You can't make a comment without bashing the Sedins'.

As for EP, I hope he becomes better than all of them.  I hope he's a special talent that will be the best swede to ever play the game! 

He has things to work on (faceoffs, strength, to name a few) but nobody is perfect.  These issues will hopefully improve over time.  As for what I saw in the 2 games, he is as advertised in the skill department.  His shooting is unreal, and his passing is also great.  I look forward to watching him play for years to come.

Though there can only be one, EP reminds me of Wayne Gretzky.  Especially the way EP can make plays and protect the puck with his hands/arms extended away from his body.  Same slight build, both with deceptive/sneaky good shots, great hockey sense...all the Canucks need now is a Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley type players (one of each, please) to ride shot gun and allow EP to fully exploit his skill sets in a safe work environment.

Another player who EP reminds me of is Burnaby Joe...EP's skating stride reminds me of Joe.  If you were to fuse Joe Sakic and Wayne Gretzky into one player, I think the result would be EP.

17 hours ago, Viper007 said:

No 2 players are the same and not all players have the same attributes. Although the Sedins had some unreal attributes they were not all round complete hockey players. Unreal on-ice vision, passing and sixth sense when knowing where the other brother was. Great when dealing with the community and could cycle like nobodies business.

However, they were not fast skaters, did not possess killer slap shots  and were not considered "snipers". Nor did they lay out heavy body checks, were good breakaway shooters or great on the penalty kill. 

Players such as Forsberg, did possess more of those attributes that the Sedins did not have. His competitiveness was evident and his Stanley Cups can attest to that. 

I believe skilled players can have more attributes if they want to and its up to them to want to be better all round hockey players. Take Bo as an example. EP has not even started an NHL career and I think his development at this early stage is imperative in him eventually bringing a Cup to this city. 

That desire to always better yourself(Bo) is what separates the very good players from the "Great" players IMHO.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

No 2 players are the same and not all players have the same attributes. Although the Sedins had some unreal attributes they were not all round complete hockey players. Unreal on-ice vision, passing and sixth sense when knowing where the other brother was. Great when dealing with the community and could cycle like nobodies business.

However, they were not fast skaters, did not possess killer slap shots  and were not considered "snipers". Nor did they lay out heavy body checks, were good breakaway shooters or great on the penalty kill. 

Players such as Forsberg, did possess more of those attributes that the Sedins did not have. His competitiveness was evident and his Stanley Cups can attest to that. 

I believe skilled players can have more attributes if they want to and its up to them to want to be better all round hockey players. Take Bo as an example. EP has not even started an NHL career and I think his development at this early stage is imperative in him eventually bringing a Cup to this city. 

That desire to always better yourself(Bo) is what separates the very good players from the "Great" players IMHO.

Gretzky wasn't fast, wasn't physical, wasn't good on penalty shots, and didn't have a booming slapper either. Weird he's called the 'Great' Gretzky.

Btw, Daniel won shooting accuracy at the all star game just as Boeser did.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Gretzky wasn't fast, wasn't physical, wasn't good on penalty shots, and didn't have a booming slapper either. Weird he's called the 'Great' Gretzky.

Btw, Daniel won shooting accuracy at the all star game just as Boeser did.

Yeah didn't like Gretzky either. Daniel was considered more of a shooter/sniper before the Duncan Keith incident. Went downhill from there. Boeser has that release that puts him above the rest. That's what will make him a true "Sniper".

Archived